flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #602 of 39,414
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #603 of 39,414
  I'm in a weird music phase at the moment because I happen to have some Indian audiophile friends that are rubbing off on me, but I'll get to it at some point 
biggrin.gif

Nic, take them to a nice coffeeshop and then play them this great album and see their minds melt 

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #606 of 39,414
I get the feeling Zeus is bass-light, especially coming from 64 audio.

Yes which is maybe why people are liking G1 with it.  I still think MAM all the way open may come close to G1 in this regard.  Can't wait to hear the demo for myself.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #607 of 39,414
Cables and Modules really don't do the trick on the Zeus. Get the Zeus for its mid-centric tuning with neutral bass or, be ready to use EQ. Responds very well to EQ. But the trick is to find an application or software with an effective EQ implementation.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #608 of 39,414
  Cables and Modules really don't do the trick on the Zeus. Get the Zeus for its mid-centric tuning with neutral bass or, be ready to use EQ. Responds very well to EQ. But the trick is to find an application or software with an effective EQ implementation.

Don't use EQ, I'm sure I'll be fine with Zeus.  I've been craving a brighter signature the A12 has me in the shadows.  It'll just be a few weeks of brain burn in.  If you did want to extract maximum bass from it would you recommend G1 + bassy cable or MAM + bassy cable? I know it's minor minor changes but still, would like to know.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #609 of 39,414
Metal, huh? the old NY Times Jazz Critic, Ben Ratliff, was also in love with Metal, said the most interesting music came from that genre (not counting jazz, of course). I'd be curious about specific album recommendations myself, always interested in something new. My younger daughter is into punk/metal/punk-pop, I've gone to see some bands with her, Breaking Benjamin is one that comes to mind, some others as well. They all seem to love these screamo vocals, which I just don't get (if you guys are not young, I'm ancient, but that's another story :wink: ).

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #610 of 39,414

Don't use EQ, I'm sure I'll be fine with Zeus.  I've been craving a brighter signature the A12 has me in the shadows.  It'll just be a few weeks of brain burn in.

I have never used EQ either. I was wishing Zeus could punch harder. I had a revelation yesterday. I plugged my Zeus into my PC directly, as my Mojo and iPhone were out of battery. I think the PC's DirectStream must have some kind of Bassy DSP engaged. The bass was heavenly on the Zeus. So I have been playing with EQ from yesterday evening.

Btw, I am no basshead. I like bass 1 or 2 dB above neutral that has good impact.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #611 of 39,414
Metal, huh? the old NY Times Jazz Critic, Ben Ratliff, was also in love with Metal, said the most interesting music came from that genre (not counting jazz, of course). I'd be curious about specific album recommendations myself, always interested in something new. My younger daughter is into punk/metal/punk-pop, I've gone to see some bands with her, Breaking Benjamin is one that comes to mind, some others as well. They all seem to love these screamo vocals, which I just don't get (if you guys are not young, I'm ancient, but that's another story
wink.gif
).

Read some article a while back about how the brains of people who like metal and classical are the same in many ways.  I can PM you a list, I maintain one.  My favorite genres are Atmospheric Black Metal, Black Metal, Doom, Stoner, Sludge, Death, Blackened Death, Blackened Doom, Sludge Doom, Epic/Symphonic Black, Folk Black, Doom Death and Shoegaze Black. Metal has it's roots in blues.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #612 of 39,414

I have never used EQ either. I was wishing Zeus could punch harder. I had a revelation yesterday. I plugged my Zeus into my PC directly, as my Mojo and iPhone were out of battery. I think the PC's DirectStream must have some kind of Bassy DSP engaged. The bass was heavenly on the Zeus. So I have been playing with EQ from yesterday evening.

Btw, I am no basshead. I like bass 1 or 2 dB above neutral that has good impact.

Right me too, I can enjoy some light mid bass but I like the slam in the sub region.  Maybe Jack will retune it some day for slam without compromising the rest of the signature.  I have heard several people say the same thing.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #613 of 39,414
Metal, huh? the old NY Times Jazz Critic, Ben Ratliff, was also in love with Metal, said the most interesting music came from that genre (not counting jazz, of course). I'd be curious about specific album recommendations myself, always interested in something new. My younger daughter is into punk/metal/punk-pop, I've gone to see some bands with her, Breaking Benjamin is one that comes to mind, some others as well. They all seem to love these screamo vocals, which I just don't get (if you guys are not young, I'm ancient, but that's another story :wink: ).
Im 51 yrs old and I love Screamo, Hardcore, Metalcore, Trancecore music. Like these Australians. Great to relax to.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=c0-8XJALV7g

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #614 of 39,414
Im 51 yrs old and I love Screamo, Hardcore, Metalcore, Trancecore music. Like these Australians. Great to relax to.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=c0-8XJALV7g

When I was a teen metalcore/hardcore was very big, IMO the landscape has shifted more toward doom/death/black in the past decade or so with hardcore bands merging more with punk.  Some very cool punk/black metal hybrids coming out right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back