FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #4,591 of 7,931
4 big cords(above 20cords of flc8s cable).
3 pin connecter.

Nooooooooooooooo............

Please not another proprietary cable connector. The existing ones might not be ideal but at least it's easy to get cables for them.

Are there tuning options in the cable (like Layla) that need the extra pin connector?

It's bad enough that the sockets in the FLC8S are non-standard in some way but a fully non standard connector, really?

Sigh....I thought we were over this, that every company needs to create their own (non-)standard.

Cheers.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4,592 of 7,931
might check out the spintips, too....never had them before..and one of my ear canals is wonky
i guess it's be the cp100?  http://www.spinfit-eartip.com/index.html
they really make a difference with their unique design?

update to my previous rant: the memory wire isn't that bad once you get used to it
...i'd still easily prefer a non memory wire.

Well, it's always very individual with ear tips but for me the spin fit are comfortable and super easy to get a good seal. But as usual YMMV.

Cheers

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #4,593 of 7,931
I am still using red/grey/gold and am loving it with spinfit tips.

Cheers.

My spinfits will arrive next week, looking forward to it. Glad to see you're enjoying them, a lot of mixed thought on them compared to spiral dot tips.

The stock tips give decent isolation, but the small size is even too big for my ears because of how it's shaped like a cylinder rather than oval. This might not be a problem for those who regularly used medium~large sized tips, but for the people who have small ear canals, if I could suggest to @Flcforrestwei to maybe offer tips that are shaped "normally" if you know what I mean.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4,594 of 7,931
  might check out the spintips, too....never had them before..and one of my ear canals is wonky
i guess it's be the cp100?  http://www.spinfit-eartip.com/index.html
they really make a difference with their unique design?

update to my previous rant: the memory wire isn't that bad once you get used to it
...i'd still easily prefer a non memory wire.

Yep, the CP100 with turning feature fits most IEMs. The CP800 fits small nozzle IEMs like ER4S.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #4,596 of 7,931
wonder if there is any sneak peek of celeste 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #4,600 of 7,931

definitely more than 900 usd

3 times the price of FLC8s? Not a good idea given how many new IEMs have great quality / price ratio.
Success of FLC8s lies in relatively good pricing and sound quality. If Forrest decides to put such a high price tag on his new IEM I don't think it can be a success no matter how good the sound quality will be.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4,601 of 7,931
  3 times the price of FLC8s? Not a good idea given how many new IEMs have great quality / price ratio.
Success of FLC8s lies in relatively good pricing and sound quality. If Forrest decides to put such a high price tag on his new IEM I don't think it can be a success no matter how good the sound quality will be.

that's where you are wrong. look at campfire audio andromeda, noble katana, empire ears zeus, jh layla etc. despite the price, there is demand for it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #4,602 of 7,931

that's where you are wrong. look at campfire audio andromeda, noble katana, empire ears zeus, jh layla etc. despite the price, there is demand for it.

Jerry Harvey and Noble are well established global brands. Campfire is an American company with big budget and global reach - also they've already built their status as ALO Audio. Empire Zeus is more a custom and it's different market. 
All those brands are luxury brands in IEM realm.

We're talking about practically DYI brand... I'm not saying that their new product can't be priced that high - I'm saying it shouldn't. It would be in contradiction to the brand core. FiiO could release DAP for 2000$ because "there is demand for it" - it doesn't mean it would be any success.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #4,603 of 7,931

Well, I would say, of course there is demand for high end sound and for high end prices - no question about that - some people are willing to shell out a lot for their IEMs to get the best sound quality.

However - these companies are on shows, they have websites, they do marketing. I think FLC has a great benefit of being the secret tip at the moment - but if you want to move product for nearly a thousand dollars, people want to buy from a reputed company, or the new hot **** company, or a company with some cool guerrilla marketing. Not so sure if $900 customers for IEMs are that adventurous....

Campfire is ALO Audio, JH - well it's Jerry bloody Harvey, of Ultimate Ears fame and of course his best JHAudio, Noble with the Wizard, a PHD in audiology, - Empire Ears - with their reputation and credentials and their marketing prowess. So they all have been around the sun for a few rounds.

I am not saying that FLC can't do it - yes they can - but to be honest - I would like to purchase from a company that at least has a website with some kind of information and warranty if I shell out nearly a thousand dollars. Am totally for supporting the underdog - but you need to make it a bit easier for us. Forrest has a story to tell that is equally good like the before mentioned, if not better. But the story needs to be told.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #4,604 of 7,931
well you make sense but technically speaking, forrest has a great audio background too particularly part of the team for the tf10 if i remember correctly.
yea marketing do play a part in establishing a brand name but I wouldnt go so far as to saying flc is still a diy brand. it has surpassed that status already.
the reason is that no company has done an iem with 108 configurations, hence justifying the price imo
cheers

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #4,605 of 7,931

We're talking about practically DYI brand... I'm not saying that their new product can't be priced that high - I'm saying it shouldn't. It would be in contradiction to the brand core. FiiO could release DAP for 2000$ because "there is demand for it" - it doesn't mean it would be any success.

Well, you're of course right to some degree when saying that FLC Technology is none of the major big-players with a big budget and marketing team such as other brands. And FLC Technology is probably a name that is mostly known among enthusiastic headphone enthusiasts and not "Average Joe" beginner enthusiasts.

However, Forrest has got a very reputable background in the audio industry and worked for/with some of the major big players and also designed and developed some of the big players' established products. And with the FLC8s, he has released an extremely capable and highly versatile product, and I wouldn't even slightly hesitate to say that it is even worthy of being a flagship, as it kind of delivers flagship performance on a budget. Separation is excellent. The midrange is highly detailed and liquid, even outperforming my UERM in this regard. And the bass is very clean, quick and arid for coming out of a dynamic driver.
I'm personally convinced that the FLC8s could sell for (much) more if it was coming from a "major big player" company. And if the Celeste contains Forrest's advanced skills, ideas and tweaking capabilities and even sounds better than the FLC8s, I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more of an excellent performer, as there are really just a few things that probably stop the FLC8s from being perfect (for its price however, I see barely any flaw except for the microphonic stock cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back