FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 29, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4,021 of 7,931
He was asking for comparisons of the P1 to FLC8S - so I believe its still on topic.  We both initially replied a couple of days ago - so he could be answering either one of us.

There were just two P1 posts in a row is all. Just don't want to see too long of a P1 diversion in the FLC8S thread.

And I'm actually genuinely confused why rebbi quoted me but thanked you :confused:

May 29, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #4,025 of 7,931
May 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #4,029 of 7,931
My final(?) accoutrement arrived today for the FLC8S: Arête model cable from Null Audio. I ordered directly from their website and it did take a while to ship due to me opting for the slow boat regular mail service. Nonetheless the cable arrived well packaged and intact. Price Is about half of what the Crystal Silver cable from LMUE costs. The Crystal Silver cable is miles above the stock cable that currently ships with the FLC8S. I found the Crystal to yield next to zero cord microphonics when worn as intended. However, this Null Audio cable is even more so silent thanks to the all-nylon sheathing I selected when placing the order. The cable feels as light as air, even with that hefty looking right angle plug dangling off it. The candle reminds me of my Morrow Audio interconnects I use on my home stereo components: light yet solidly constructed. I can see why the company calls themselves Null Audio, it's like there's nothing between the source and the IEM. The memory wire is more supple than the Crystal as well.

Fit-wise the Arête is good. I found the left plug was trickier and tighter to insert compared to the right. In fact, I ended up bending one of the pins slightly when working the end into the IEM holes. I freaked a little bit but there seemed to be no harm done and eventually got a solid connection. It will be interesting to see what happens if I end up removing the cable from the monitor.

Sound-wise I feel the cable provides more "oomph" in the low end making the FLC8S (still using grey/grey/gold) a bit boomier. But I'm never really sure with these comparisons so will make a better judgement after a lengthy listen and then go back to the Crystal. I'm happy I have both 3rd party cables in addition to the stock as the unused one could act as back-up if something were to happen to the other. So it too, some extra dollars in cable and tips but I think I've reached the level that the FLC8S need to be at to become my every day earphones.

Here's some 'unartsy' pics for your viewing (un)enjoyment :p

May 30, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #4,031 of 7,931
could null audio arête pins force the 0.74mm holes, so stock/crystal silver cables get a bit loose after that? has someone tried this?

I will try it in about a week or so once I'm done listening with the Null.

May 30, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #4,032 of 7,931
I will try it in about a week or so once I'm done listening with the Null.

after reading your impressions about the arêtes, i guess you'll never be done listening to them, lol. after the issues you had while plugging them, i wouldn't unplug them if there is not a very good reason to do it. will read about your experience thankfully.

May 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #4,033 of 7,931
^
Good point. But I'm sure curiosity will get the best of me in regards to the .74mm/tolerance issue. :D

If the stock/Crystal end up being loose I'll just use them for the Red FLC8S I plan to eventually get anyway.

May 31, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #4,034 of 7,931
  could null audio arête pins force the 0.74mm holes, so stock/crystal silver cables get a bit loose after that? has someone tried this?

Sounds plausible if too much cable-rolling is involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back