FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #3,616 of 7,931
  The only "against" reasons I can offer is:

1. If you have low patience level and/or an aversion to microscopic parts. The filters are many & tiny. You can spend a lot of time coming up with the sound signature YOU prefer with the filter combinations. You can also spend a lot of time looking for that one tiny filter that fell out of your grasp onto the floor/carpet.

I mod mechanical watches for fun, so I'm good there.

Any recommendations for an after market cable?  I guess I'll wait and see if the microphonics really bother me first though.  They never really have on my E3cs, and that cable isn't even braided, and I use triple-flanges.

May 11, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,617 of 7,931

I mod mechanical watches for fun, so I'm good there.

Any recommendations for an after market cable?...

Sounds like a fun hobby! I just like collecting mechanical watches.
wink.gif

As for cable, I'm using the Crystal Silver 'upgrade' cable from LMUE specifically for the FLC8S. Some say the microphonics improvement is marginal but I'd say it's much better than stock. I've also ordered up a Null Audio Arete cable which is in transit and can offer critique on that once I get it.

May 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,618 of 7,931
Could you guys coming from higher end Shure and Westone offer me some advice?

I bought Shure E3c when they came out in 2005 and have used them almost every day since then until recently.  I was never really a headphone enthusiast and never tried any "good" headphones other than these, but I loved them.  I bought them because I wanted good sound quality from my PMP (Rio Karma at the time, still the best I've ever had!), and they got a good review on anythingbutipod.com (lol).

Recently they cracked and it's time to replace them, and I decided to try something different, and have went through several pairs of non-IEMs and it's really shown me that IEMs are the right option for me.

I'd like another set of IEMs, ideally that would last me for 10 years like the Shures, but I would take 5.  I'd consider myself more of a music enthusiast than a super-critical audiophile.  Comfort and build quality are as important to me as sound.

For the past week or so I've been trying to determine if the SE846/W60 are "worth it" or if I should just go with SE535/W30/W40 and save a lot of money.

Then I see this!  And it's just thrown a wrench in the whole shebang.  To me it looks like BETTER than SE535/W30/W40 for less money, and POSSIBLY as good as SE846/W60 for WAY less money.

Is there any reason I should NOT get these?  Even if they have 50% as good of build quality of the SE846/W60, I can just replace them if they fail and still come out ahead.

These seem really compelling and I'm ready to cop them, but I REALLY don't like regret and buyer's remorse.  Is there anything I should know?

What else should I look at?  I'd like something in-between what joker would call "warm and smooth" and "balanced", and excellent comfort and build quality.

You're certainly going to have a big difference in sound signature and sound quality compared to the E3C. FLC is much more lively and energetic and detailed. Way better in every way really. The least expensive and simple cable option is the original cable that came with the FLC8, not the FLC8S. It's available from lendmeurears.com and is inexpensive, no microphonics, perfectly correct pins and sounds fine.

Worried about buyer's remorse? 36 different sound tunings mean you can largely have any kind of sound you want. Of all the people who have bought these, there have been about zero complaints other than the cable. I actually don't mind the cable. If you're sitting and listening and not moving around a lot, you barely if at all olive the microphonics. If the cable does bother you, go for the original FLC8 cable. It's plain, but very nice.

May 11, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,619 of 7,931
  Sorry! everyone. A little busy these days, can not show up on here frequently.

Thanks for the suggestion to make the simple version of FLC8, we are considering the suggestion, we'll release it in the future, but maybe half a year later.

We are focus on developping the new flagship now, we may not call it FLC9, because it's much better than FLC8, and the price will much higher.

The sound of the new flagship was locked up months ago, I can say it's the best earphone I had ever heard, the sound is the ideal sound I had pursued for many years.

We'll reveal the picture in about two months after we apply for the patents

I'm all ears!!! 
deadhorse.gif

May 12, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,622 of 7,931

Thanks for the suggestion to make the simple version of FLC8, we are considering the suggestion, we'll release it in the future, but maybe half a year later.

We are focus on developping the new flagship now, we may not call it FLC9, because it's much better than FLC8, and the price will much higher.

The sound of the new flagship was locked up months ago, I can say it's the best earphone I had ever heard, the sound is the ideal sound I had pursued for many years.

Glad to see some discussion start for the new IEM, Forrest. To say I'm extremely excited would be an understatement!

can compete with empire ears zeus, noble k10, custom art harmony 8? :eek:

I could see a new FLC flagship outcompeting CA H8. Probably K10, as well. Zeus and Andromeda are what Forrest needs to worry about IMHO. If he can get close to Zeus at a much lesser cost and compete with Andromeda at a bit less cost, it'll be a win for sure IMHO!

May 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #3,624 of 7,931

Truly excited! The tonality of the FLC8 is spot-on and manages to balance fun and detailed excellently. Happy that you have found your ideal sound, sir.

May 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #3,625 of 7,931

May be they will call them flc16s and then price will be 700$. :)

May 12, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #3,628 of 7,931
May 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #3,629 of 7,931
Does isolation on the FLC8s can hold a candle against Westone or Shure iems?

To me isolation is more important than sound (cause it's health in the long run).

May 12, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #3,630 of 7,931
  Does isolation on the FLC8s can hold a candle against Westone or Shure iems?

To me isolation is more important than sound (cause it's health in the long run).

Get an Etymotic.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back