FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
May 12, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #3,631 of 7,931
  Does isolation on the FLC8s can hold a candle against Westone or Shure iems?

To me isolation is more important than sound (cause it's health in the long run).

well the sound is 1000% superior to westone and shure iems except shure kse and westone ciem series

May 12, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #3,632 of 7,931
  Get an Etymotic.
beerchug.gif

If FLCs isolation can match that of Shure SE846 or Westone W30 then it will stick to my standards. No need to go Etymotics but i don't won't to get less isolation than those two in ears that i have at the moment.

May 12, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #3,633 of 7,931

well the sound is 1000% superior to westone and shure iems except shure kse and westone ciem series

Even if that hyperbolic statement was true if isolation does not meet my demands i don't care about the sound.

Truth to be told above certain sound quality threshold (that SE846s and W30s surpass with ease) i don't care too much about sound. I am slaved to the music no to the sound.

Hence that's why i ask if isolation matches that of current Shure SE and Westone W series.

May 12, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,634 of 7,931

Even if that hyperbolic statement was true if isolation does not meet my demands i don't care about the sound.

Truth to be told above certain sound quality threshold (that SE846s and W30s surpass with ease) i don't care too much about sound. I am slaved to the music no to the sound.

Hence that's why i ask if isolation matches that of current Shure SE and Westone W series.

Had the 846, isolates better than the FLC8.

May 12, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #3,636 of 7,931

well isolation is subjective. Depends on your ear canals mate.

May 12, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #3,637 of 7,931
well isolation is subjective. Depends on your ear canals mate.

I am a bit wary abour FLC8 isolation because Joker mentions in his review that high volumes there is some leakage due to the fact that the earphones are vented.

It's a fact that some in ears isolate better than others. Nobody could ever argue that Shure SE846s isolate way more than a pair of Vsonic Gr07s. I mean a person who manages to get a good fit on a pair of SE846 will be way more isolated than a person who manages to get a good fit on a pair of Vsonic Gr07s.

So i don't buy the idea that all in ears isolate the same and it just depends on the user. Sorry!

May 12, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #3,638 of 7,931
It's a fact that some in ears isolate better than others. I am a bit wary abour FLC8 isolation because Joker mentions in his review that high volumes there is some leakage due to the fact that the earphones are vented.
well flc8s fits me better but this is subjective.

May 12, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,642 of 7,931
Its not terribly bad but noticeable if the wind is strong enough - or with consistent flow like when cycling.

To not blow things out of proportion, it has isolation close to average for vented IEMs, maybe slightly above with a reasonably deep fit, and is affected by wind as much as a typical IEM with outward facing vents. Hardly the best or worst in either of these categories. I wouldn't buy it if either of those factors were more important than sound quality - which may well be the case with an IEM, to each their own. 

May 12, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #3,643 of 7,931

I am a bit wary abour FLC8 isolation because Joker mentions in his review that high volumes there is some leakage due to the fact that the earphones are vented.

It's a fact that some in ears isolate better than others. Nobody could ever argue that Shure SE846s isolate way more than a pair of Vsonic Gr07s. I mean a person who manages to get a good fit on a pair of SE846 will be way more isolated than a person who manages to get a good fit on a pair of Vsonic Gr07s.

So i don't buy the idea that all in ears isolate the same and it just depends on the user. Sorry!

I don't think the bass hole can cause the isolation issue, because these is a filter on the plug, another filter on the speaker, and then a diaphragm in the speaker, the three layers can isolate the noise completely.

The cause is the eartips, because the bore of the earphone is big, the tip of the eartips is blut, so the eartips can not be inserted as deep as Shure's, but I think if ear channels are big, the eartips can be insert deeper, FLC8s still can get a good isolation.

May 12, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #3,644 of 7,931

Innerfidelity measures isolation. Here you can see the SE846 and W40 both isolate better than the twice vented FLC8S. It's most obvious in the bass frequencies:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FLCTechnologiesFLC8CCYVocals.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneW40.pdf

May 12, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,645 of 7,931
Innerfidelity measures isolation. Here you can see the SE846 and W40 both isolate better than the twice vented FLC8S. It's most obvious in the bass frequencies:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FLCTechnologiesFLC8CCYVocals.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE846WhiteFilterSample2.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/WestoneW40.pdf

Both SE846 and W40 are with small bores, if we compare the eartips, we'll find that 864 and W40 eartips are cuspidal and FLC8s eartips are blunt, the cuspidal eartips can make the contact area with the ear channel bigger, so they can get better isolation, I think that's the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back