FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread
Apr 2, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #2,941 of 7,931
  What's the general consensus on driver flex? Is it damaging to the dynamic driver over time if it happens frequently? ....Or more of a harmless thing? 

I doubt that it would be very harmful. The drivers job is to move back and forth, pushing it with air pressure shouldn't be any more stressful. However, drive flex may be very bad for your ear drum if you pull out the earphone too quickly.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,943 of 7,931
  Where I can get them the cheapest? I am in the UK

I'm in the Netherlands, and I ordered mine from shenzhenaudio.com which was the cheapest I could find them, including shipping.

Ordered March 15th with Comply tips. They shipped from Singapore (not Shenzhen) on March 18th, and the package arrived in Dutch customs on March 26th and it's still there. Expecting to have to pay VAT 
confused_face.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,949 of 7,931
Here's my micro review, mostly point form...

I'm not going to look up any tech specs or do any reading of other reviews to skew my impressions.  
- microphonic cord unless the neck cinch is pulled up and tightly curved over the ear
- impressive packaging
- superb case... all metal and sturdy, I could probably run a car over it, except it's actually kinda heavy
neat little case for the filters
- Utterly inconsequential nitpick: if the filter case has an o-ring seal, why not the large case which arguably would find that more useful.

- seems high efficiency, picks up a lot of noise from my NuPrime uDSD
- probably very low impedance
- I'm not a fan of these super high efficiency low impedance headphones for precisely the noise reasons;

- angle/fit isn't quite right for my ears; slightly on the large side for me

- isolation just average

Not gonna talk about all the possible combinations that you can play with; just some thoughts in brief. First of all, do not assume that those filters only change their range in isolation to the others, especially between the bass/ultralow ports. Seems to affect overall sensitivity as well.

The mid/high filters:
- I can't see anyone ever using the blue (least highs) unless you have particularly bad sensitivities up there
- gold is a bit honky
- black is more neutral but kinda peaky compared to green
- green feels a bit shelved, higher but flatter than blue? more ethereal

Bass ports:
- this is where most punch comes from
- add more at the cost of flubberiness
- I mostly just left it on grey (medium)
- the black (most) was all thump without kick and seemed to actually take away from the ultralows

Ultra low ports:
- very little actual primary content exists in this area, so just adjust rumble to taste
- I felt red (most) started to blur the edges of the bass notes above
- but high bass ports diminished the ultralows, so it's a balancing act

Overall

- most notable upper end: shimmery and snaps but does not fatigue quickly (remove with blue filter if needed)
- soundstage a bit behind and below me
- Overall evaluation is tricky since mucking with frequency response changes perception so much.

If I had to guesstimate the price, based on sound quality and all the accessories, I would think $400 (roughly 300+100 in my head)

Trying to get a sense of the drivers and housing, the FLC8 feels like a very competent IEM. Clarity is excellent. Not the absolute best, but pretty darned good.

For this price bracket

do I feel the price is worth $350?
I think as a tweaker's delight it certainly fits
for those of us that like to “set and forget” as it were, I feel it's just slightly on the upper end of the spectrum but not unreasonable

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #2,950 of 7,931
I'm confused. Is driver flex felt or heard? What does which filter you've got in have anything to do with it?
I'm not rough with them, but I do frequently push in to reaffirm the seal.

Driver flex is heard as kind of a crinkly sound. As you push the IEM into your ear you create a pressure build up. This pressure causes the driver to flex, which you can hear. Anything you can do to alleviate this rapid pressure build up, such as slow insertion, venting the dynamic driver, using foam tips which seal more slowly, will help to minimize or eliminate it. All IEM's with dynamic drivers, particularly if there is no venting, can be subject to this. Generally the driver flexes right back into its original position and all is fine. Theoretically if the flex is sever enough, it could permanently deform or dislodge the driver, but there is nothing to suggest this happens with the FLC. Nobody has experienced any driver failure. The red sub bass filter is completely sealed, meaning the driver isn't vented, which could lead to more flex. If you've never heard any type of crinkly sound while inserting them, you don't have any driver flex. Many IEM's particularly some higher end ones demonstrate some flex. I'd rather not experience it, but I don't think it's a major concern, and it sounds like you don't have the issue anyway.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,953 of 7,931
Regarding driver flex, I sent an inquiry about it to RHA a while back (and they are the experts). They said it has essentially no damaging effect on the driver. This makes sense, because the driver in headphones is designed to move at accelerations over 90 G's, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I am more worried about removing IEMs quickly from the ear (especially when the cord gets snagged). I'd imagine that the abrupt pressure change would be bad for the eardrum, but I am no expert so I can't say it has any effect for sure, aside from making my ear feel weird. This would probably explain my inability to understand people who are seemingly speaking clearly...

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #2,954 of 7,931
  Regarding driver flex, I sent an inquiry about it to RHA a while back (and they are the experts). They said it has essentially no damaging effect on the driver. This makes sense, because the driver in headphones is designed to move at accelerations over 90 G's, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I am more worried about removing IEMs quickly from the ear (especially when the cord gets snagged). I'd imagine that the abrupt pressure change would be bad for the eardrum, but I am no expert so I can't say it has any effect for sure, aside from making my ear feel weird. This would probably explain my inability to understand people who are seemingly speaking clearly...

Yup, my thoughts on the subject exactly. 

I've damaged my eardrum before whilst pulling out IEMs too quickly before and I know people who have also done this. When there is a huge vacuum seal you can try pushing it in and taking it out on a slight angle to alleviate as much pressure as possible.

Apr 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,955 of 7,931
Yup, my thoughts on the subject exactly. 

I've damaged my eardrum before whilst pulling out IEMs too quickly before and I know people who have also done this. When there is a huge vacuum seal you can try pushing it in and taking it out on a slight angle to alleviate as much pressure as possible.

Or try opening your jaw to release the pressure before removing the iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back