Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Sep 9, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 828
There is no real Brand name to them. The UPC sticker said: FL-9R MADE IN CHINA and the UPC is 856434001188. Our price at ACE is $6.99.

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 828
Josh, that is the beefiest 3xAAA 9xLED light I have ever seen. They're usually plastic and toy-like. Good luck with your modding, and please post your results here or CPF forums
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Ace has a box of those little flashlights. I'm going to pick up a couple tonight on the way home.....

Great find.

x2!!!
Theres an Ace 5 minutes from my house.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 828
I recently picked up a Photon Freedom Micro light. It puts out a great amount of light from a LED flashlight about the size of a small stack of nickels...
FM-LED-KEYCHAIN-FLASHLIGHT-2T.jpg

http://www.photonlight.com/ProductDe...light&CartID=0
I got mine on eBay for $15 shipped. I'm still amazed at how small it is.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 828
I bought the Ace Hardware Flashlight.

First off, it's the only time I've ever bought a piece of electronics in the checkout line. It's clearly made with thrift in mind.

Nonetheless, It's really F'n bright and it's got a laser pointer built in that my cat seems to love!

Best seven dollar buy I've made in a long time......now it's time to hack a way.

Where are those spare LED's?

B

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 828
Here are mine.... none are tactical or millitary grade. Heck they aren't even submersible (I don't think).

From L-R:
Coast LED Lenser - An OK light, no lens over LEDs and uses unorthadox "N" cells.
Silver #1 - A 9 LED, 3xAAA unit my boss bought from a street vendor in China for $3. Very bright with fresh cells.
Maglight red - Non-LED, 2xAA. I'm contemplating an LED conversion.
Black #2 - Home Depot store brand. 12 LED, 3xAAA. The battery holder is the same as Silver #1, leading me to believe they come from the same build house in China.

dscn9408ht1.jpg

dscn9409qr6.jpg

dscn9410dk9.jpg

I have a black 4xD maglight somewhere around the house too.

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #24 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are mine.... none are tactical or millitary grade. Heck they aren't even submersible (I don't think).

From L-R:
Coast LED Lenser - An OK light, no lens over LEDs and uses unorthadox "N" cells.
Silver #1 - A 9 LED, 3xAAA unit my boss bought from a street vendor in China for $3. Very bright with fresh cells.
Maglight red - Non-LED, 2xAA. I'm contemplating an LED conversion.
Black #2 - Home Depot store brand. 12 LED, 3xAAA. The battery holder is the same as Silver #1, leading me to believe they come from the same build house in China.

I have a black 4xD maglight somewhere around the house too.

You can probably beat someone with any one of those lights, and they all look sturdy. Probably all dunkable too. Tactical enough.
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #27 of 828
Flashlight modding....? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? KEEP ME AWAY FROM THAT!
....NOOOOOoooooooo.....

Must....resist...but it sounds like a helluva lot of fun. I've only got a little single-LED Brinkmann that I really like, but it would be cool to mod and get painfully bright LED light coming out the other end.

I like Kramer's idea of modding the non-LED Maglite. I've got one of those collecting dust around here so it would be a worthy recipient of a mod.

Geez, will DIY ever stop? I love this place!!!

Edit: Been poking around here -> http://flashlightsunlimited.com/index.htm Those iNova lights are pretty sweet. Sure wish I would have had a few of these last year here in Seattle after the huge storm. No power for days. Would have been nice to have near-normal lighting in the house.

Sep 11, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #28 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of modding it with other bright LED's I can get from Digi-Key.

Hey Josh! You might try SuperbrightLEDS.com instead of Digi-key. Guaranteed bright LEDS!

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #29 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the Novatac?

I love it. It's exactly what it promises to be, Novatac's answer to making the best EDC light possible. Mine has some flickering on the low levels but other than that, it is THE light that goes with me everywhere for pocket carry.

The programmability of it is what I like about it the most. Having four programmable different levels makes it the do everything light.

Some people find that any flashlight that has a 36 page manual to be daunting, but in reality, it's not hard to figure out. After that, most owners are thrilled at the number of options to configure the light for their own personal usage pattern. I use mine with a Surefire F04 diffuser and I have the best of both worlds, a diffuse beam for up close use and decent throw without it mounted.

edc-pic.jpg

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #30 of 828
for years, i have carried around the little maglight on my keychain (single aaa battery).
in a tent, or during a blackout, you can unscrew the cap with the lens so the bulb is exposed, sit it upright on a flat surface, and read a book with it.

fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back