Flashlight-Fi (LED & Conventional)
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 828

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
At my work, ACE Hardware in Anacortes, WA, we have these Bright LED Flashlights for like $8 for a 9 LED/3 AAA Flashlight.

I am thinking of mod'ing it with other bright LED's I can get from Digi-Key.

What is the brightness? Luminous Flux or Millicandela Rating?

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 828
OH J*SUS!!! I just held this flash light at arms length and looked at the LED's!!!

...I now see a silhouette of 9 LEDs on everything now!

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 828
Dont get me started.
smily_headphones1.gif

Surefire Aviator for EDC
Surefire M6 for nightstand
Surefire N2 for the car
HK UTL II for the USP
Misc LED lights for everywhere else

Check out the candlepower forums for lights a plenty.

GAD

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 828
There was another thread about candlepowerforums. If you want to get into modding, go there and you'll be sucked in.

I got bitten by the flashaholics bug. Personally, I'm only interested in LED lights myself.

Right now I've bought over the last two years.

Novatac EDC 120P $150
HDS EDC U60GT $140
Surefire L4 Lumamax $165
Lumapower D-Mini $70
Surefire E1L (old) $100
Mag 2D LED $30
a few Fenix and a few other assorted $20-50 lights

I used to think that $30 for a flashlight was plenty expensive but now I have $700 (US) worth of lights.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 828
i just have two led based devices and one laser device;

led
---
ledwave x-55 mini flashlight (5 watt)
petzl LED tactikka plus headlamp with IR flip (use to keep my night eyes with my night vision)

laser
----
60mW Green 532nm laser

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 828
can someone help me find a headlamp? I"m going to a music festival and need "something". I"d most like to have a red lamp as to not disturb my fellow campers. Nothing too crazy.....I'm not going to be frying ants or starting fires with it......just something to get around with at night.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

smily_headphones1.gif

B

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone help me find a headlamp? I"m going to a music festival and need "something". I"d most like to have a red lamp as to not disturb my fellow campers. Nothing too crazy.....I'm not going to be frying ants or starting fires with it......just something to get around with at night.

smily_headphones1.gif

B

Walmart currently carries a 1xAA (very lightweight) Ray-O-Vac headlamp in the flashlight section. Blister-packaging is very small, so if not careful you might miss it. It's $18+ and has dual red LED, one blue LED, and one higher powered white LED. A diffuser cover can slide over any of the LEDs to turn the beam into a flood instead of a spot.

Edit: Here's a thread with reviews and impressions: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=169690

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 828
Cool, thanks yo.

I've always wanted to be able to track blood at night with a blue light.....this will make for a much more interesting festival.

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 828
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was another thread about candlepowerforums. If you want to get into modding, go there and you'll be sucked in.

I got bitten by the flashaholics bug. Personally, I'm only interested in LED lights myself.

Right now I've bought over the last two years.

Novatac EDC 120P $150
HDS EDC U60GT $140
Surefire L4 Lumamax $165
Lumapower D-Mini $70
Surefire E1L (old) $100
Mag 2D LED $30
a few Fenix and a few other assorted $20-50 lights

I used to think that $30 for a flashlight was plenty expensive but now I have $700 (US) worth of lights.

How's the Novatac?

My collection:

-Surefire G2 (with various BugOutGear USA drop-ins)
-Surefire E2D
-Surefire 6P lego (with SRTH, N1/2, and the A19)
-Inova X1
-Inova T1
-Inova XO3
-Various cheap Ultrafires I picked up in Hong Kong

Brendan

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 828
Sorry for the poor pic quality, I only had my VX6100 phone to take pics.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 828
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

B

petzl LED tactikka plus headlamp with IR flip (red light option)

can only sing its praises - weatherproof, shock resistant, durable, great adjustable design. look out for one.

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 828
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

B

I like using my Petzl headlamp, it has three brightness settings and a red filter, carry it everywhere with me in my photo bag, along with a gerber recon flashlight and sometimes my surefire (great light, but can suck down some batteries!)

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 828
Quote:

Josh, what's the model number for that light?

I'll find out in a bit when I go to work and pickup some paper work. I can't remember what it is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back