Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Sep 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,161 of 3,098
If you do hear some treble peak - I suppose you are on some silicone tips, right? All silicone tips no matter what type or size do elevate the higher mids and highs with unwanted reflections (like small cave in your ear). This will never happen with the foam tips, as they do absorb all reflections in a same way as the (foam) acoustic treatment in the recording studios. 

This applies to all universal in-ears. :) - that's why is there such a confusion especially on the JH Layla/Angie thread. Customs are way different sounding than universals, because everyone is changing the gazillion types of tips back and forth :)

I used both silicone and foam. Agree on foam absorbing treble reflections and ringing issues as a general rule. But my issue wasn't with reflections or ringing but more of a tonal issue. I just didn't like the tone this peak causes the overal treble to take on and this tonality was a problem regardless of tip type.
I'm sure canal shapes play a role in this as well. Anyway, I'm just another data point on the overall map.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,162 of 3,098
I used both silicone and foam. Agree on foam absorbing treble reflections and ringing issues as a general rule. But my issue wasn't with reflections or ringing but more of a tonal issue. I just didn't like the tone this peak causes the overal treble to take on and this tonality was a problem regardless of tip type.
I'm sure canal shapes play a role in this as well. Anyway, I'm just another data point on the overall map.

haha no worries, statistics data collection needs to be done :)

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #2,163 of 3,098

You should hear their new Flare Zero speakers.  Flare really do know what they're doing.

I've heard them too (not at that recent thing though) but it was a fairly small room for such clean volumes. They didn't use one of the driver modules when I heard them though so I imagine the mid-range was better in some way at Olympic studios. Pretty impressive although I wasn't as impressed with the choice of music to be honest (think he likes some Euro Trance stuff).

I like their design philosophy, or Davies' (not sure there is any others involved in the technical design..) and would be keen to hear their full-sized cans, the Pro versions for which they got one single Kickstarter backer (because it was £1500 or something). I think the R1 Pros will be much like the Zero speakers in build and design except I imagine a single full range driver.

I've a pair of speakers I want to re-cabinet, re-design and am thinking of experimenting with their technique for the bass driver.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #2,164 of 3,098
  Mesh (sticker)filters provided with the Dita The Answer combined with SpinFit (Japan, Donguri size XS) works magic and completely flushed  
ksc75smile.gif

Nice over-ear tubing there. Assuming it's heat-shrink tubing, did you take the driver out to get the tubing on or was it able to fit over the whole unit ? And how do you set the curve you want, shrink it more on one side?

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #2,165 of 3,098

Nice over-ear tubing there. Assuming it's heat-shrink tubing, did you take the driver out to get the tubing on or was it able to fit over the whole unit ? And how do you set the curve you want, shrink it more on one side?

Actually I have thought about using heat-shrink tubing, for now using Phonak Audeo PFE transparent ear guides you see in the pictures. They are suitable for small cables and more low profile than the Meelecs, the black Audeo ear guides are even more comfortable (afaik discontinued) better for 'fatter' cables.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #2,167 of 3,098
  I'm thinking of buying the R2A but I noticed a lot of people selling them here. Is there a reason for this? Uncomfortable, sound bad ?  Help would be great....

I can only speak from my experience but they are the most comfortable and good sounding IEMs I've heard. The problem is you have to replace they comply tips about every month which is expensive. Also build quality doesn't appear to be great.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2,169 of 3,098
I can only speak from my experience but they are the most comfortable and good sounding IEMs I've heard. The problem is you have to replace they comply tips about every month which is expensive. Also build quality doesn't appear to be great.

I don't have any problems with their build quality, they're working on additional affordable quality cables including drivers. You don't need ti use foam tips, a lot of silicon options. I feel people are selling them because the imaging/presentation is different than what people are used to. You need a few days to get used to them. They are very good IEMs indeed

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #2,170 of 3,098
I absolutely love my Pros. Just for giggles, tested mine back to back against B&Os over ear flagship headphone in a Harvey Norman store here in Adelaide, playing a nice Prodigy FLAC with the new Fiio x3. The little Flares comprehensively obliterated the hight price cans. The price I paid for them is way less than what the store was charging for the B&Os.

Complaining about having to spend on Comply tips is like bitching about the bloody Ferrari chewing through tires. You want great sound and isolation, you pay for it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #2,171 of 3,098
I absolutely love my Pros. Just for giggles, tested mine back to back against B&Os over ear flagship headphone in a Harvey Norman store here in Adelaide, playing a nice Prodigy FLAC with the new Fiio x3. The little Flares comprehensively obliterated the hight price cans. The price I paid for them is way less than what the store was charging for the B&Os.

Complaining about having to spend on Comply tips is like bitching about the bloody Ferrari chewing through tires. You want great sound and isolation, you pay for it.

...and I thought I might be the only Aussie with a pair of the Flares.... maybe the only one with the R2As then????

I have to agree that these are outstanding iems. The only real comparison I can make is with the IE80s I own and the Flares simply blow them out of the water. It's the coherence that stands out along with an amazing soundstage and the Senns are not bad in that department. The R2As simply beat them hands down.

I notice that a lot of the forum members who have commented on the R2s own very expensive BA or hybrid iems and maybe are, as you said, used to a different sound. It's the natural presentation that wins me over. For classical music these must be hard to beat. For other genres like dybstep, EDM, Trance and Deep House they also perform in a stellar fashion.

One other trend I have noticed is for people to vaguely infer that these can't be that good for the cost. However, forum members who are very experienced with a plethora of iems at all different levels, like James444, rate these very highly. What they are saying is what my ears are hearing.

I am waiting to see what the poster who is going to fit some custom sleeves has to say.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,173 of 3,098
  Thank you fro your reply. I knew something was up. Way to many people reselling them. May not be a deal breaker if I can get them at the right price. Have you heard of these Iems. they were a Kickstarter as well.

http://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/products/trinity-delta

I think it was primarily due to the unreasonable amount of hype that these IEMs received due to a review posted of prior to the kickstarter ending that may have caused many people to pull the trigger. unfortunately, the reviewer actually ended up selling/trading his r2as shortly after as well, so a bit weird considering they were likely a free sample unit & calls a bit into question the amount of praise written about them.

Sonically, they are quite nice, but by no means a revolution for sound quality at their price point. Build quality is a bit lacking (cables are a bit flimsy, splitter unnecessarily heavy). Overall a solid product, but really overhyped to a bit outrageous levels. Also, many people purchased a combo of r2a with another r2a/r2s/r2pro for additional savings, so were planning on moving one of the items anyways.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,175 of 3,098
Overhyped?.......perhaps...... we could discuss for hours. But for now I prefer the Flare Audio R2Pro over my other IEMs including the 1964ADEL U6 I received last week (*edit*)and contemplating on buying a set of R2 drivers and have them custom moulded as single driver CIEM like Davies confirmed during the Kickstarter project. That should make one of the best cost/performance ratio CIEM in history
wink.gif

Quote Davies from Flare Audio, May 22:
  "Yes the R2PRO is perfect for putting into custom moulds! The pressure balanced technology R2PRO uses means all that is required is an air-tight seal and you will hear perfect sound.
The R2PRO has a standard type tip connection that is ideally suited to a CEIM, all that's required is a mould that fits the R2PRO.
Another great aspect of R2PRO is its size, it's so small! Therefore it won't stick out of your ear as typical CEIM's do and may even fit in existing moulds if the diameter of the existing hole the mould has is 6-7mm (R2PRO is 7mm in diameter).
Kind Regards,
Davies"

I can confirm the R2's don't stick out of the ears and unlike many other (semi) universal IEMs the R2's do NOT pick up any wind(noise) which makes them perfect for outdoor activities

*EDIT* after a couple of hours after receiving my replacement pair the 1964 U6ADEL 'opened up' (didn't know that's even possible with BA?) and the sound improved drastically to my ears so although my personal preference my earlier statement was rather premature, I do apologize for that. Compared to the R2Pro (filter mod, SpinFit) the 1964 U6ADEL (stock) is thicker sounding with more body and firm yet pleasing bass extension. Like the R2Pro the U6 have superb soundstage/imaging and are non-fatiguing which definitely makes the U6 an excellent and very enjoyable IEM - and yes it's of better build quality -. The R2Pro however has that little extra touch of natural forward and out-of-head presentation - closing my eyes I'd swear the artist is in front of me playing a private gig - instead of 'pouring' sound into my head/brain, that in my book makes the R2Pro really unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back