Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Sep 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #2,133 of 3,098
That's the Kickstarter price basically. Does it seem like it's the sound signature your looking for and is build quality and accessories completely a backseat priority compared to sound quality? Because if you also would really like build quality and accessories, then I'd currently recommend getting the Trinity Delta off of Amazon instead which is also $120. Refer to my quick comparison on sound I gave to @xoxiax
above.

But overall as a direct answer to your question, yes, $120 is a reasonable price in my opinion for the R2A.

The one here is sold now. I definitely want to try one though. Thanks for your input.

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,134 of 3,098

I'll see if I can give an adequate explanation briefly, though I also would have been pretty bad at describing it given more words anyway 
tongue.gif
. The R2A has the better sound stage compared to the Delta. I think the strength of the Deltas are that it has a little more mid presence and sounds a little smoother and more natural. The R2As are no slouch for natural feel either, but to my ears, the Delta just edges it out. By a combination of sound stage and slightly more treble energy, the R2A also feels leaner and has a little more clarity to it. In terms of bass, both are pretty well matched for quality (which is very good on both) with the R2A winning out by a tiny bit on quantity. Considering the stuff I listen to, both perform very well, but at the end of the day, I'd take the Delta over the R2A for the increased presence in the mids while still retaining the bass quality and quantity that I like. It's smoother sound signature also proves to be a tiny bit less fatiguing over the course of the day, though the R2A isn't that far behind in that department either.
Note that in this comparison, my R2A is unmodified from the factory (my end cap is not flush with the body) and that the Delta was using the gunmetal filter which I consider to be the all-arounder filter. Silicon tips were used on both, VSonic GR06 tips for the R2A and the small stock silicons for the Delta. And also keep in mind that what I hear might not necessarily be what your or others hear, though I do hope I at least got something right in all of that
biggrin.gif

You gave an adequate explanation briefly and a lot of something right in all of that. Thank you @Midgetguy. I'm seriously considering buying the Deltas despite of that irrational preference for the r2as that could finally influence the act of consumerism. In fact i'm thinking about the possibility of buying both and selling after the one less loved. This kind of sick and socially normalized behavior has been the reason why i resisted so many years to the temptation of joining the forum, now my questions can find new questions and multiple wishes! Well, i'll continue this chatter with myself... And reiterate my gratitude!!!

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #2,135 of 3,098

You gave an adequate explanation briefly and a lot of something right in all of that. Thank you @Midgetguy. I'm seriously considering buying the Deltas despite of that irrational preference for the r2as that could finally influence the act of consumerism. In fact i'm thinking about the possibility of buying both and selling after the one less loved. This kind of sick and socially normalized behavior has been the reason why i resisted so many years to the temptation of joining the forum, now my questions can find new questions and multiple wishes! Well, i'll continue this chatter with myself... And reiterate my gratitude!!!

In the world of audio comparisons, that WAS brief lol
biggrin.gif
. Getting both and keeping the one you like more is definitely a great way to go in my opinion. Happy listening!

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #2,136 of 3,098
I bought the R2As when they were mentioned as being giant killers with particular reference to the Senn IE800s. I am very happy with my purchase as they are a significant step up from the IE80s that I own. I was going to buy the 800s but have put that on hold because these are so good.

If I was going to upgrade to another IEM the price would be a factor. These cost me less than their current retail price but at even at the retail price I'm not sure that the 800s would be worthi it from a financial point of view. The IE 800s are two and a half times the price of the Flares. So the SQ upgrade would have to be significant to make it worthwhile. Paying a crap load of money for a minor sonic upgrade doesn't make sense to me. At some point the law of diminishing returns must apply.

The Flares now cost $US270. Not chicken feed but considering that the IE80s cost anywhere up to $US100 more from an authorised dealer buying these is a no brainer in comparison. So what IEMs are significantly better than the R2As and more importantly how much do they cost in comparison.

What other iems (the Trinity Deltas have been mentioned) at a similar price can compare.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,137 of 3,098
  I bought the R2As when they were mentioned as being giant killers with particular reference to the Senn IE800s. I am very happy with my purchase as they are a significant step up from the IE80s that I own. I was going to buy the 800s but have put that on hold because these are so good.

If I was going to upgrade to another IEM the price would be a factor. These cost me less than their current retail price but at even at the retail price I'm not sure that the 800s would be worthi it from a financial point of view. The IE 800s are two and a half times the price of the Flares. So the SQ upgrade would have to be significant to make it worthwhile. Paying a crap load of money for a minor sonic upgrade doesn't make sense to me. At some point the law of diminishing returns must apply.

The Flares now cost $US270. Not chicken feed but considering that the IE80s cost anywhere up to $US100 more from an authorised dealer buying these is a no brainer in comparison. So what IEMs are significantly better than the R2As and more importantly how much do they cost in comparison.

What other iems (the Trinity Deltas have been mentioned) at a similar price can compare.

You really don't need the IE800 if you have the R2A. I haven't listened to my IE800 for like a month since R2PRO + R2A arrived.
I bought a brand new authentic IE800 at this crazy sale (US$375) in Canada, but if I were to buy it again, I wouldn't.
Trinity Delta was nice (especially build quality and packaging) but sonically I found R2A better suited for my taste (natural and highly transparent)
I hear pretty much how these reviewers hear and look how high R2PRO/R2A scored for their accurate tonality. (I was skeptical at first but now I quite agree with their evaluation)

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #2,138 of 3,098
^Lol that score on headfonics brought my attention to them too.

Nevertheless, with r2a being cnc made from aluminum I disagree that build quality is lacking. Plus I dont have any damaged cable issues in the housing even after extensive endcap testing. So ymmv but the cable could be better tho.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,139 of 3,098
I donot know if the R2A and R2Pro delivered to me was broken or not, but to be honnest, I ompared a lot of other branding, like sony XBA-H1, W60, IE 80 etc, the same song I use computer play I found:
1 I use the volume 22, R2A&R2Pro sound is not as loud as other earphone;
2 at the same volume, R2A&R2Pro is not sound as more detail as other earphone;
3 at the same volume, R2A&R2Pro sound stage is not as enough as other earphone;
So I donot think this is really a creative or a revolution earphone, far below the advertisement.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #2,140 of 3,098

The brand new Flares cost around that $270 with free shipping at Amazon. However, buying them from Spain (only possible form their webpage) you have to add 30 GBP for shipping costs ($45!!!!) I don't know if the idea is that one of the R2 creators will be knocking at my door to give them personally with a bouquet of roses, but It looks ridiculous considering that trinity audio gives free shipping for the same 2 hours trip for Uk to Madrid. 

I'll have to wait for a promo (¿is there anything now??¿That one weeks ago for the pros is still active?) or someone selling them for a fair price, because $310 (278€) looks far from a good price knowing all the other great and much cheaper options around. By the way, @holden4th ,the ie80's  can be bought here  for 179€ (200$). 110 less than the R2a. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #2,141 of 3,098
  I donot know if the R2A and R2Pro delivered to me was broken or not, but to be honnest, I ompared a lot of other branding, like sony XBA-H1, W60, IE 80 etc, the same song I use computer play I found:
1 I use the volume 22, R2A&R2Pro sound is not as loud as other earphone;
2 at the same volume, R2A&R2Pro is not sound as more detail as other earphone;
3 at the same volume, R2A&R2Pro sound stage is not as enough as other earphone;
So I donot think this is really a creative or a revolution earphone, far below the advertisement.

• The R2A and R2Pro are less sensitive than many other IEMs, so you need to turn up your source volume. The upside is that they have an absolute black background that enhances perceived detail, separation and layering.
  • I haven't heard the XBA-H1 and W60, but they should easily best the IE80 in detail resolution. Have you tried other tips besides Complys and was the result the same?
  • Perception of soundstage is a very subjective thing. Personally, I think the Flares have an amazing out-of-head soundstage.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,142 of 3,098
I personally wouldn't trust too much the score of 'professional' review websites. "pro reviewers" often get their gear for free or at an extreme discount, so their call on value and performance:price may often be lacking. also, it is not uncommon for certain reviewers to highly rate products that they are intending to sell/trade in order to boost its perceived value. best reviews I've read are from enthusiasts who have their own large collection so that too biased on any one particular item. also less 'hidden' motives/agendas and no fear of losing free/discounted-review-sample privileges by being critical.

just be careful.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #2,143 of 3,098
Just ordered a Fiio X3 II to pair it with my R2Pros. Hopefully they will work together nicely :) A 128 GB class 10 Samsung microSD filled with flac and DSDs is ready to go in the X3.
Can't wait to find out how it sounds. I am very happy with running the Flares from the Soundblaster E5 DAC but the solution is not exactly portable when I'm jogging, so that's where the X3 comes in. If it sound as good as the E5, I'm happy.

Sep 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #2,144 of 3,098
  Just ordered a Fiio X3 II to pair it with my R2Pros. Hopefully they will work together nicely :) A 128 GB class 10 Samsung microSD filled with flac and DSDs is ready to go in the X3.
Can't wait to find out how it sounds. I am very happy with running the Flares from the Soundblaster E5 DAC but the solution is not exactly portable when I'm jogging, so that's where the X3 comes in. If it sound as good as the E5, I'm happy.

I've done exactly the same.

I'm enjoying the X3 II. no idea how it compares to other DAPs, but it makes my music way better than through my iphone.

Powers them really easily, and the instrument separation is really good and clear.

Personally, for the money, this is a no-brainer if you want to improve over a smartphone.

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #2,145 of 3,098
I stopped dreaming about an audiophile grade mobile phone. Not even sure the concept would work with all the radio waves in and out spoiling the sound, inevitably. Looked at Sony's X2 but it is so stupidly expensive, most probably because of the Gold plated chassis. That improves the sound how exactly? Good on Fiio for launching great products at decent prices. And good on Flare as well for giving us the R2. They're an absolute steal when discounted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back