Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #2,146 of 3,098
I stopped dreaming about an audiophile grade mobile phone. Not even sure the concept would work with all the radio waves in and out spoiling the sound, inevitably. Looked at Sony's X2 but it is so stupidly expensive, most probably because of the Gold plated chassis. That improves the sound how exactly? Good on Fiio for launching great products at decent prices. And good on Flare as well for giving us the R2. They're an absolute steal when discounted

I thought that I read that the new Sony Z5 family of smartphones have an audiophile focus including support for high resolution audio.
Regarding the interference from radio waves - just put it in Airplane Mode :) 

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,147 of 3,098

I thought that I read that the new Sony Z5 family of smartphones have an audiophile focus including support for high resolution audio.
Regarding the interference from radio waves - just put it in Airplane Mode :) 

Yeah, airplane mode would tun it instantly into a ZX2 :) Jokes aside, another reason I went for a DAP is that I change my phone 2-3 times a year and can't see myself attaching to a Z5 just for the audio. So got myself an X3 II today that is such a sweet little thing and works great with R2Pros. Problem solved!

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #2,148 of 3,098
There have been a few mentions of the IE800's in this thread and so I thought that it would be good to share a few thoughts on how they compare to the R2A's.

After a few years of experimentation (see my profile for the full list) I settled on the IE800's as end game IEMs for me.  Despite the usual complaints about cable length etc. they ticked every possible box in terms of frequency response and sound quality.  Sadly, I sold them due to car funding issues (grrr) with the goal of re-buying a pair once funds allowed.

In the meantime, on the strength of an R2A recommendation on the IE800 thread I took a chance on the R2A's, allowing me to compare from memory and hoping that they may remove the need to buy the much more expensive IE800's again.

I took the splitter off immediately (safe to do, easily reversible for anyone concerned about theirs) and am using the R2A's with Martin Logan Mikros 70 silicon tips.  These provided the best fit and sound of the various ones that I had to hand and tuned the response a little nearer to my taste (I like treble and found the Complys too veiled).  I haven't had imbalance or end seal issues as far as I can tell and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound, although it has taken a period of adjustment for me.  My initial feelings were of delight with the bass but disappointment at the lack of any sparkle.  The change of tips, combined with just getting used to the different presentation has left me much happier with the R2A's.  As mentioned by many, the super compact size is extremely comfortable and so they are the first pair of IEMs that I have worn while falling asleep.  Overall comfort is excellent and I get a consistent dependable fit each time.  The only more comfortable IEMs that I have owned would be the Klipsch X10s which I continue to keep specifically for their extreme comfort.

So how do they compare with the IE800's?  It turns out that it is too close to call from memory alone, however I believe the differences to be:
Bass - The IE800 and R2A both have superb bass with great presence, but not to the point where it feels exaggerated.  Bass on the IE800's works better on public transport or noisy environments.
Mids - I prefer the more recessed mids and u-shaped frequency curve of the IE800's.
Treble - This is where the IE800's really stand out with a much more vibrant, present and sparkly treble.  Despite the improvements that silicon tips bring to the R2A, the treble just doesn't compare.

I fully acknowledge that this is very much a measure of how each model meets my audio taste only and not a fundamental strength or weakness of either.

I believe that on balance I prefer the IE800, but I really need to hear the two side by side again to be sure.  To that end, I have bought another pair of IE800's and will be able to re-compare and report back next week.

Whatever happens with the IE800's, I think that the R2A's are excellent IEMs and extraordinary VfM at KS price - I will be keeping them either way!

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,150 of 3,098
PM sent!
  I just received a replacement R2A pair back from flare. Since I sent them off some time back, I have unfortunately become addicted to open back headphones (AKG K612 is my current muse) and so I have very little use for the R2A. If anyone wants it at the KS price, please check my listing

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780419/flare-r2a-new-replacement-pair-from-flare

PM Sent
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,151 of 3,098
  I just received a replacement R2A pair back from flare. Since I sent them off some time back, I have unfortunately become addicted to open back headphones (AKG K612 is my current muse) and so I have very little use for the R2A. If anyone wants it at the KS price, please check my listing

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780419/flare-r2a-new-replacement-pair-from-flare

Lol, I know how you feel. I've got 3 sets of open cans haha. Fidelio X1, HD600, HE560
o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,153 of 3,098
  There have been a few mentions of the IE800's in this thread and so I thought that it would be good to share a few thoughts on how they compare to the R2A's.

After a few years of experimentation (see my profile for the full list) I settled on the IE800's as end game IEMs for me.  Despite the usual complaints about cable length etc. they ticked every possible box in terms of frequency response and sound quality.  Sadly, I sold them due to car funding issues (grrr) with the goal of re-buying a pair once funds allowed.

In the meantime, on the strength of an R2A recommendation on the IE800 thread I took a chance on the R2A's, allowing me to compare from memory and hoping that they may remove the need to buy the much more expensive IE800's again.

I took the splitter off immediately (safe to do, easily reversible for anyone concerned about theirs) and am using the R2A's with Martin Logan Mikros 70 silicon tips.  These provided the best fit and sound of the various ones that I had to hand and tuned the response a little nearer to my taste (I like treble and found the Complys too veiled).  I haven't had imbalance or end seal issues as far as I can tell and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound, although it has taken a period of adjustment for me.  My initial feelings were of delight with the bass but disappointment at the lack of any sparkle.  The change of tips, combined with just getting used to the different presentation has left me much happier with the R2A's.  As mentioned by many, the super compact size is extremely comfortable and so they are the first pair of IEMs that I have worn while falling asleep.  Overall comfort is excellent and I get a consistent dependable fit each time.  The only more comfortable IEMs that I have owned would be the Klipsch X10s which I continue to keep specifically for their extreme comfort.

So how do they compare with the IE800's?  It turns out that it is too close to call from memory alone, however I believe the differences to be:
Bass - The IE800 and R2A both have superb bass with great presence, but not to the point where it feels exaggerated.  Bass on the IE800's works better on public transport or noisy environments.
Mids - I prefer the more recessed mids and u-shaped frequency curve of the IE800's.
Treble - This is where the IE800's really stand out with a much more vibrant, present and sparkly treble.  Despite the improvements that silicon tips bring to the R2A, the treble just doesn't compare.

I fully acknowledge that this is very much a measure of how each model meets my audio taste only and not a fundamental strength or weakness of either.

I believe that on balance I prefer the IE800, but I really need to hear the two side by side again to be sure.  To that end, I have bought another pair of IE800's and will be able to re-compare and report back next week.

Whatever happens with the IE800's, I think that the R2A's are excellent IEMs and extraordinary VfM at KS price - I will be keeping them either way!

Great impressions! If you prefer a more u-shaped signature, I can see how the IE800 are more to your taste than the Flares.

Regarding treble, no doubt the R2A are clearly more laid-back than the IE800. You still might want to try the teabag mod or HiFiMAN filters though, because ime the smoothing actually helps perceived treble extension and sparkle, which would otherwise be partly masked by the 6-8kHz peaks.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #2,155 of 3,098
Impressions of R2 Pro model (I have Pro model for more than 2 weeks).

Packaging and accessories:

For an iem that costing 400 pounds for retail price the packaging and accessories is very poor. The box with the iems and the case coming separate in a bubble bag. This looking more like a friend shipping to me and not a company. For 200 pounds, which is the price I paying, I have the same opinion.

I see some people saying the R2  iems coming with one pair of Comply tips. I receive 3 pairs, so this is good, but I really think is very important to having more tips, single and tri-flanges silicone tips.

I think the case is good size but is impractical because the metal part that you pulling for opening and closing the case is very very big and having also long extension made of cloth with big written letters saying “Made in England”. Even if saying "Made in England" I see cases from China that looking and feeling the same quality. For these iems that are so tiny the case is not enough good.

The iems are very tiny and I like this really very very much. They are solid and have nothing written on them, I also like this a lot, but I also preferring they have L for left and R for right because I spend long time looking for L and R letters and this is big negative surprise. I can’t find it and I play a song that I know having left and right different sound. This iems are incredible comfortable and very very discreet. I like this really really very much too.

The cable isn’t have high quality but isn’t as bad as I think before from photos I see before. I like the quality of the plug but I really think a plug with the shape of L is better for lasting a long time and is more practical too.

A big shock is the very very very big and heavy metal part in Y split part of the iems. Why this??? This iems are tiny and the metal Y split is terrible. I searching and reading about this aspect in this thread because I'm surprised very negatively and I finding some people removing it. I remove too and I’m now very happy! Later I see that L and R marks are in this metal part (I think this is bad idea), so I deciding to use small piece of sellotape and put in right side of cable so I know always which earpiece is L and R.

The sound quality:

I don’t like Comply tips so I trying Sony hybrids, SpinFits, FAD tips and JVC Spiral Dots and I prefer SpinFits.

This iems coming with end caps not screwed equally and maybe is psychological but I think I hearing difference in bass in the beginning. Then I closing the end caps as much as possible to be flush and I hearing better bass and no difference in balance of sound. With the endcaps completely closed this iems are one of the best earphones or headphones I hear in my life. I’m in shock the sound is so so so good! I have JHA Angie recently and like it really very very much (I sell it 3 weeks ago because the fit isn’t good for me) and I can’t honestly saying the Angie is better than the R2 Pro! Maybe even I prefer Pro model but I don’t sure 100% because I can’t comparing the two iems simultaneously.

I don’t trying james444’s teabag mod because I don’t having problem with treble. I usually looking for very close to neutral and balanced sound in headphones and earphones and R2 Pro is incredible. I don’t know if measurements saying this iems are really very neutral but I hear very close to neutral. The bass extending very very very low, and this is extraordinary for a tiny tiny iem and the quality of low frequencies is excellent too!

I like so much the sound of R2 Pro that I try my Sennheiser HD800 headphones and I’m in shock again because the R2 Pro competing very very well with Sennheiser’s flagship headphone!! Maybe I prefer Pro model in treble when I play music loud even and even when I think I hearing a treble spike but this spike isn’t problematic for me like other iems I hear before in my life. That the Pro model having soundstage not very far from HD800, which is open back headphone, is really extraordinary too.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,156 of 3,098
  I like so much the sound of R2 Pro that I try my Sennheiser HD800 headphones and I’m in shock again because the R2 Pro competing very very well with Sennheiser’s flagship headphone!! Maybe I prefer Pro model in treble when I play music loud even and even when I think I hearing a treble spike but this spike isn’t problematic for me like other iems I hear before in my life. That the Pro model having soundstage not very far from HD80, which is open back headphone, is really extraordinary too.

Same here, I found R2PRO as one of the closest to the total reference signature of any headphone on market. HD800 are harsh on some higher mids and they are not playing the truth. R2PRO sounds to me very similar to JH Layla custom (not talking about Layla universal). These two products I consider as the reference leaders right now.
Also the LCD-X are close, but with similar problem as HD800 - some unwanted spike in higher mids. Not sure why Sennheiser and Audeze did this. But the guys in Flare are 100% very familiar about what the reference sound is. Again - thumbs up for product this size with this price tag.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,158 of 3,098
Interesting because I do hear a distinctly large treble peak in the pro. The peak isn't particularly harsh but is certainly off putting and tonally odd. (I have pretty straight and large canals fwiw) I didn't really care for it much and the whole thing with the end caps is concerning because practically everyone on here is probably hearing the same model slightly different due to end cap seal, whether they've changed it or the factory setting varies; and tightening it all the way down, while certainly sounding more reference in bass, is a concern for damaging the cables.

What an odd design choice. I would think they'd want something that is easy to set accurately and forget with no worry of the end caps getting accidently changed or damaging the cables. Just not my cup of coffee in sound or design. Although the small for factor is very pleasing.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,159 of 3,098
But the guys in Flare are 100% very familiar about what the reference sound is. Again - thumbs up for product this size with this price tag.

Hello John Culter.

Yes, I'm agree with your words above 100%.

Flare Audio have two very important things very very right: Fantastic sound and fit. Now in my opinion they having to polish other things like accessories, extra tips, plug/cable, and packaging (not fancy but definitely more adequate).

400 pounds isn't cheap at all but I prefer R2 Pro than Shure SE846, FitEar Parterre and F111, Etymotic ER-4S, Final Audio FIBASS and (very possibly too) JHA Angie. 4 of this 6 iems are much more expensive than R2 Pro retauil price.

I don't know if you knowing FitEar F111, I saying this because you saying you like reference sound. If you don't know F111, I think you would be very very impressed with this iem and also with the impeccable quality of construction, and even when it's made in Japan and by hand it's cheaper price than R2 Pro. But the truth is I personally think I prefer sound quality of R2 Pro model, but not many more.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,160 of 3,098
Interesting because I do hear a distinctly large treble peak in the pro. The peak isn't particularly harsh but is certainly off putting and tonally odd. (I have pretty straight and large canals fwiw) I didn't really care for it much and the whole thing with the end caps is concerning because practically everyone on here is probably hearing the same model slightly different due to end cap seal, whether they've changed it or the factory setting varies; and tightening it all the way down, while certainly sounding more reference in bass, is a concern for damaging the cables.

What an odd design choice. I would think they'd want something that is easy to set accurately and forget with no worry of the end caps getting accidently changed or damaging the cables. Just not my cup of coffee in sound or design. Although the small for factor is very pleasing.

If you do hear some treble peak - I suppose you are on some silicone tips, right? All silicone tips no matter what type or size do elevate the higher mids and highs with unwanted reflections (like small cave in your ear). This will never happen with the foam tips, as they do absorb all reflections in a same way as the (foam) acoustic treatment in the recording studios. 

This applies to all universal in-ears. :) - that's why is there such a confusion especially on the JH Layla/Angie thread. Customs are way different sounding than universals, because everyone is changing the gazillion types of tips back and forth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back