:flag_gb: CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #122 of 433
I had a very positive experience at Canjam today and it was a pleasure meeting our fellow Head-fi community and manufacturer reps while getting to know their products better.

Highlights
The stand out for me was the Dita Audio's The Answer amped by the Chord Hugo. I enjoyed how neutral it was but the soundstage was on another planet. Never have I heard songs that I am familiar with with so much separation and will be a potential purchase I will consider in the future. Thanks to Phil of Custom Cable for answering my questions while I was trying it on.

The HE1000s is something everyone should listen to at least once in their lifetime. The layering and texturing is excellent while being able to pick out the individual instruments. Also worth mentioning was the AKG N90Q for its features and SQ.

Other highlights was from RHA. The S500i was quite good in terms of SQ in relative to its price point but the T20 was very impressive for its refinement and detail. Also, thanks to Dimitri of Musica Acoustics for giving me some good advice and trying on unique products such as the Earsonics SM2 ifi and the Oriolus hybrids.

Other bits..the Oppo stand was a good one where photos were taken for a prize draw. And the scavenger hunt is highly commended.

Surprises!
My biggest surprise is how Creative who we associate with PC sound card have come into the market with decently priced headphone amps and DACs with bluetooth functionality added. And speaking about bluetooth, times have changed where audio quality via bluetooth streaming has improved considerably.  The Pendulumic Stance S1+ was a good example.

For all the raving about the Savant for its neutrality and non fatiguing sound, yes it does sound excellent but to me its pretty meh (not to my taste). In terms of neutrality IMHO i preferred The Answer. However, I would like to thank Brannan for taking the time to allow me to experience and differentiate the noble range; 3, 4, Savant and the K10s. And yes the K10U were amazing and hit the right spots.
I was disappointed with a few things though.

Disappointments
The Aurosfonics Bravo series that I was looking forward to trying was a disappointment for me. The SQ was dull and too dark for my taste. I understand that what was demoed was brought in this week and perhaps these needed a burn in.

V-Moda was very promising in features and I thought they finally have become serious having been too mainstream these past few years. For example being able to tether another headphone is only heard of in the Far East but the sound quality & isolation was disappointing in my experience   

My only regrets….
That I should have come earlier. I thought 6 hours was good enough to cover the entire event. Sadly, I missed out on Jaben’s hyper dynamic, JH Audio, Mr Speakers and Sennheiser.

I would like to thank the organise s; Joe, Warren, Duncan, Ethan, and Jude. A special shout out to Maurice for running the IEM Clinic and to all the volunteers for making my experience memorable. Hopefully the success of today’s show will be built upon for future shows and many more to come. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #123 of 433
 Beyer T1 v2

Quite a few positive cosmetic changes especially with the removable cable and some to the driver also (addition of a rubber ring I think). The cable is much more manageable and being replaceable increases versatility obviously. To me these sounded distractingly hard on the treble and a bit too splashy, though it could have been just this single headphone knowing beyerdynamic.

Do you remeber what amp that was hooked up to. When i was there on saturday originally the beyer t1 2nd gen was hooked up to the a2 along with the 1st gen, but later on it went into the jds element & remained there for the rest of the day, Dt 1770 pro was hooked up to the a20.

By my faint memory i spent most of my time to listening to the 1st gen T1 out of the a2. The only thing i can remeber from the 2nd gen T1 from the jds element was the sub bass i think. But overall i was much more interested in trying to get the 2nd gen T1 hooked up to the Feliks Espressivo E, but it was in use at the time so i left and came back a couple of hours to find one of the tubes had died i think.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #124 of 433
Thanks Jude for capturing me on the Vmoda stand. I sat down with no expectations at the time I was listening to their new wireless headphones but in wired mode into my dx90.

I spent so long at Vmoda that I lost my SHaG card. The lovely gentleman at Vmoda thought he might have thrown it away, he personally found a replacement for me and even went back around to all the stands I had crossed off! Thanks again! Their new balanced headphones demonstrate their seriousness towards aural enjoyment, I for one was enjoying it!

Overall an epic show and I hope CanJam will return to London in 2016!

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #125 of 433
First of all, I would like to thank the head-fi team again including Jude, Warren, Ethan and Moe for organizing this event and allowing me the opportunity to volunteer and help out for the event for the past few days. I would also like to thank all my fellow volunteers where there were more than a few fine chaps who help to keep the cogs of the event running while also able to create a lively environment which makes all tasks even more than enjoyable. These people are easily some of the best new friends I could make and hope to see them in a future meet / Canjam soon.

To be honest I'm more than a little tired because of the little sleep I got for the past few days but if I have to quickly give some impressions:

1. Them hyperdynamics at Jaben's table? Best in show in terms of price to performance ratio for me bar none. The soundstage for an iem is immense and compared to something even of like the Layla's standard...........for the price currently given (pre-production model) is easily the thing I would recommend to hear the most on the two days of the event. Moe back me up here.

2. Finally got to hear the Ether, Ether C's and the Pioneer SE-Master 1. Ether is definitely my favourite headphone of all time right now. Wouldnt say its the best sounding headphone in the world in terms of technicality (compared to say a HE-1000) but in terms of being a headphone you could wear for hours without 'pain'  Ether with their straighter pads compared to the C's were excellent. Was impressed by the Pioneer but thought that for the price touted I would be just slightly less willing to invest in it and rather go for the Ether.

Anyways gonna catch some sleep as soon as possible. For those going for flying out of London after the event, I wish you all a safe journey back home. And Ethan and Warren, next time if CJ comes to London or somewhere reasonable, call me up more than willing to work for you guys again. Thanks guys for the great event.

P.S. Shout out to Ronan and Mark's  (from Electromod) kid who helped out for the event. Impressive to see people at this young age working at an event like this. Extra respect to both of them.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #126 of 433
Back in Belgium from CanJam.  What a great week-end.  Thanks to all the people who organized this event.

for me: BEST SOUND of the show....by far : BHSE Blue Awaii + Stax 009

Sound is So pure, So airy, So highly precise.... that it make my curent portable set-up at total shame. I could listen to it for hours....

But.... I am just concerned: can't such "uber definition" can by fatiguing during long listening cession !  Any comment on this ? 

BEST SURPRISE : OPPO PM-3 portable planar headphone: Incredible sound for 350£.  I even prefered it to it's bigger brother PM1 & PM2

Other good one:  The 2 Viva Egoista, Kennerton ODIN &  K10 in ear

Viva....star gear of the show...also great music selection.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #127 of 433
On behalf of everyone at Questyle Audio, I'd like to thank Jude, Warren, Ethan, Maurice and the rest of the CanJam crew for another amazing show! I'd especially like to thank everyone who stopped by to say hi and have a listen! Hope you all had as much fun as we did!! We look forward to your impressions!

Cheers!

Your gold 'r'version was a hit....very explicit so not so good with HD800....but great with TH900. Sort the navigation wheel out, with more grip and more precise accuracy!

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #128 of 433
Yeah Fostex seems to be having stock issues- my best friend is in Japan right now and he couldn't find a pair anywhere. There are a couple places online with stock right now, but in extremely low quantities. At this point I think it depends on what LFF says- if I will have the option to have them upgraded, I think I will just go ahead and buy them internationally. 

Don't worry about upgrading sound just yet....but the head band could benefit from less large white Fostex on it and softer large ear pads....just as on mk2!

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #129 of 433
Had an amazing weekend over at CanJam, big thanks to everyone who made it happen and all the volunteers keeping it going throughout the weekend.

Just got back home now, impressions will follow after I get a good night sleep. :p

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #130 of 433
Your gold 'r'version was a hit....very explicit so not so good with HD800....but great with TH900. Sort the navigation wheel out, with more grip and more precise accuracy!

Thanks for the kind words deafanddumb! The navigation wheel is vastly improved with use and breaking it in, as well as just simply getting use to it. It becomes easier to turn, more accurate and gripper once it's been used for a while.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #131 of 433
Just got back home too after a 2-hour coach trip. Was at Royal Albert Hall (after CanJam) to hear the San Francisco Symphony perform at the BBC Proms using my most perfect pair of cans - my precious ears! Did encounter several amazing cans at CanJam which made recordings sound ever so closer to a live performance. However, will only share more after some much needed rest! It was a great weekend at CanJam and really enjoyed volunteering with other fellow members. Met some friends from the Cambridge meet earlier this year and also several other new ones. Thanks everyone (especially the admin team) for making it a memorable event!

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #132 of 433
Did you hear Esther?
In the party, did you find a small DAP with good UI , better sound?
Unfortunately, we don't go to London by ourselves, but thanks to Musica Acoustics from Japan. Mr. Dimitri brought our DAP Esther join the party.

PS: Esther DAP decoding DSD/PCM http://www.head-fi.org/t/750875

Soundaware Stay updated on Soundaware at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Soundaware-Audio-CoLtd-140035019979865/ https://www.us.soundaware.net/ Soundaware Official market@soundaware.net
Aug 31, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #133 of 433
Glory for MrSpeaker and the Ether closed , for me is simply the best closed heaphone ! Perfect soundstage, detail, bass ... Open result in closed headphone, I have testing the Ether C on my combo AK Jr + Oppo HA-2 great result, big sound realy ! But the problem is price in Europe, for this reason it's possible to turn on the great Beyerdynamic DT1770 pro for a good closed Headphone ! Not the best ! 

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #134 of 433
If anyone, whilst walking around the venue, or tidying up came across a 'Brimair' right angled converter (for AK 2.5mm to 3.5mm regular jack) - that'll almost certainly be mine - just emptied my bag and it isn't in there...

If anyone did come across this, can you please PM me?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #135 of 433
Don't worry about upgrading sound just yet....but the head band could benefit from less large white Fostex on it and softer large ear pads....just as on mk2!

Well it's not that I think I will need to immediately upgrade the sound- it's that I would be buying them from the UK having never heard them before. If some aspect of the sound irritated me, I would be looking at a large shipping charge at best- and having to try and sell them here at worst. Granted, given how rare they are at the moment I probably wouldn't lose too much money, but it would be really nice to know i had the option of just having them upgraded. Also, I am a college student, and I take classes in audio recording, production, etc.- so an upgrade from LFF (a mastering engineer) would be extremely useful to me in my classes, as I would have a sonic reference point I could carry from studio to studio on campus (the mixing rooms, production rooms, etc. all have different monitoring systems and acoustics).

Better earpads will probably be something I will be looking into as well.

Thanks for your input!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back