Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Jul 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,636 of 2,161
I wouldn't consider any of these an upgrade to the FA-4, honestly. I haven't personally heard the SE846 or Rox, but ears I trust have told me that they don't live up to the ears.

I agree, but with nuance. The Rox and the 846 are not profiled for the same use and they don't share characteristics. In fact they are little more detailed than the FA4, but not far, but have more body and more note weight. Rox are significantly larger at the bottom of the stage but both have a great deepness. The 846 have a lot of more note weight and have more speed but both are close in terms of soundstage unless the FA4 project further and the 846 have more height. The 1+2 is less coherent and neutral but have an enormous and unrealistic soundstage that projects far. Both are open sounding but differently. The 1+2 have more height, is wider, but both shares capacities in deepness.
To my mind the only upgrade in that category is the custom, all other universals have sometimes more details, sometimes more musicality, sometimes more headroom... But no one is able to cumulate all of theses qualities. And it's pretty hard to find that kind of exigences among the custom IEMs.

Hum, and The 334 are not dark neither bright but they have plenty of bass that are not extend but sound loud.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #1,637 of 2,161
Never heard anything close at this price these new fa 4e are super
tongue.gif

Hi.

How easy are the fa's to wear compared to the westones you tried out?  I have the old westone 3's and whilst there's a lot I like about them one of the things I don't like are the short canal nozzles. Makes fitting a bit awkward.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,640 of 2,161
music_4321 did it: The SD2 still belongs more or less in the UM3X, W4, UM2 camp, ie, though more neutral than the Westones, it still has some clear warmth to it and a more monitor type of sound, more in your head. The FA-4 sounds more high-end, fuller, clearer; there's more layering, making it clearly more 3D sounding and expansive. The layering and treble energy not only present details more clearly, but the very good layering allows for instruments to find their own space and are, therefore, allowed to breathe, so to speak, and not constantly fight for their place in the 'virtual' stage.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,641 of 2,161
"Impressions" after 60 min. They are great all-rounders, there aren't any obvious flaws. They are pretty detailed.
I have to listen a couple of days before I can share my final opinions about these. :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,644 of 2,161
music_4321 did it: The SD2 still belongs more or less in the UM3X, W4, UM2 camp, ie, though more neutral than the Westones, it still has some clear warmth to it and a more monitor type of sound, more in your head. The FA-4 sounds more high-end, fuller, clearer; there's more layering, making it clearly more 3D sounding and expansive. The layering and treble energy not only present details more clearly, but the very good layering allows for instruments to find their own space and are, therefore, allowed to breathe, so to speak, and not constantly fight for their place in the 'virtual' stage.

That is really exciting to hear!!!

The SD2 is a more neutral In Ear with forwarded mids? Maybe the Mids are more emotional than the FA-04 Mids?

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,645 of 2,161
Someone tested Stagediver 2 against FA-4?

Stage, Resolution, Instrument seperation..

This is what music had to say when I asked about the 2 and fa4.  Amusingly this is from nearly a year ago and I still haven't placed an order for either one.  You know what?  I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure :p

Anyway fwiw here is what he had to say when I asked about which for rock and metal :-

"I'd personally pick the FA-4s easily for rock and (progressive) metal; complex / busy passages are handled more competently by the FA4s. Older (read: not bright) rock recordings sound decidedly better also on the FA4s.

I think the FA-4s are slightly quicker and easier to put in & take out. I find I personally feel like I need to re-adjust the SD2s after 10-20 mins, and while the latter are comfortable, I cannot forget I have something in my ears (with the FA4s, that sensation goes away almost instantly). I really think the shape of the housings on the SD2 & SD3s may prove a little problematic for some. Also, the FA-4 shells are smaller, less intrusive. Really, the FA4s are incredibly comfy."

Hope that helps.

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #1,648 of 2,161
  I know this is highly unlikely but does anyone own the Kaiser 10 and the Amps ? Be nice to see if there is a noticeable difference and how what sort of improvements there are ?? 

I knew I should have stayed away. This iem is now improved, it never ends does it.
The Kaiser 10 if I had mountains of cash to spend would be my next purchase, I would love to hear someone compare the Fa's to them. Very curious.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,649 of 2,161
Interesting to read, thank you!!

But for classical is it good, too? Maybe a bit to Bassy, but seperation & stage should be also good like the SD2, right?

I would say that the FA-4E with the right tips, amp and cable are good for anything. I've always used tips that I feel lessen the bass and increase the upper mids. To my ears there are only one pair that does that and that's meelec grey biflanges. The triple flanges suggested should have a slight bias towards mid frequencies but I haven't tried them.

Anyway. They are great for most things and the sub bass could really prove to make classical music sound powerful.

With a good forward amp you can inject more life into the FA-4E (mind that I have the old version but will try to get a new pair). Strings, horns and piano sound good to start with and with a forward sounding amp like the Apex glacier they sound more defined in the upper mids.

P.s. I really, really, really want the new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back