Firefox 3.5...
Jul 2, 2009 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a heads up that it came out the other day.

While it does appear to be significantly faster, it still uses up LOTS of memory, even more than Firefox 3 did! ATM its using 180mb with four tabs open and most of my addons disabled due to incompatibility with this new version.

Anyone else using it?

Jul 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... it still uses up LOTS of memory, even more than Firefox 3 did!

You just turned me away from it, haha.

tongue.gif

But seriously, I've had firefox run up to 800+mb on me just from letting it sit for a time. It's very rare, but I still don't like that.
I'll just stick with Firefox3 for now...

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 90
It's weird because apparently it has new memory management:

"With a new management function in place, Firefox keeps memory usage under control. The XPCOM cycle collector continuously cleans up unused memory. Plus, hundreds of memory leaks have been remedied."

It should really use less...

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still super happy with Chrome.

No plans to go back to Firefox.
smily_headphones1.gif

The amount of add-ons you can use with Firefox destroys Chrome IMO. Customizability is the biggest lack of Chrome. For example, I can't customize tabs the way I'd like in Chrome. Also undo close tab didn't work as smoothly as with Firefox. Otherwise it's very fast and nice.

I installed 3.5 on tuesday and it works very well. It's clearly faster than 3.0 and works faster otherwise also. I don't really care about memory consumption when I have 4gb of DDRAM. IIRC Chrome uses pretty much the same amount of memory.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 90
I couldn't give a crap less about "add-ons" so I don't feel like I'm using a "destroyed" browser. And how much tab customization do you really need to do, I mean really? You open one up, and you close it. Are you trying to animate them and add sparkly, glittery graphics?

Tell me, does Firefox still have the "feature" when one tab crashes the entire window crashes? So if you have 6 tabs open and one freezes up all 6 close? For me, I'm more concerned with a speedy, fast browser and less about plug-ins and add ons. It's been widely documented Chrome is the fastest.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 90
Firefox on my Mac used about 200-450mb of RAM. I'd restart it when it got over 400mb. It'll be interesting to see if it still has the bug that, when you close all the windows, it still is using a crapload of memory.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 90
Quote:

I couldn't give a crap less about "add-ons" so I don't feel like I'm using a "destroyed" browser. And how much tab customization do you really need to do, I mean really? You open one up, and you close it. Are you trying to animate them and add sparkly, glittery graphics?

Tell me, does Firefox still have the "feature" when one tab crashes the entire window crashes? So if you have 6 tabs open and one freezes up all 6 close? For me, I'm more concerned with a speedy, fast browser and less about plug-ins and add ons. It's been widely documented Chrome is the fastest.

Do you ever make a post where you don't act like a know-it-all and insult people who have needs other then yours?

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 90
Quote:

Take it easy. No need to get angry over something like this. You can prefer whatever you want to. I just gave my point of view here.

I customize tabs to have less width than they normally have so I can fit more of them on the tab bar. I also remove close button from tabs because I can close tabs with middle-click. I also like to have unread tabs highlighted some way. I've also switched the order on which the tabs open and how they focus after closing.

It's also handy to have undo-close-tab by middle clicking empty spot on tab bar. Also tab bar belongs UNDER the navigation toolbar, not over it like in Chrome.

When Firefox chrashes, it chrashes for good. But that's no problem when it restarts in a few seconds and restores all the tabs.

Most importantly, Chrome doesn't support Adblock Plus. There is a way to get it work but it didn't work as well as it does in Firefox.

Again, these are just my opinions so you don't have to get feisty again.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 90
I didn't like Chrome because I missed a lot of FF plugins and the amount of memory it needs is ridiculous. I guess I'll wait with FF 3.5...

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 90
I tried chrome but it doesn't have color management, adblock plus, or firebug. There's no way I'm going to give those up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back