Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Sep 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,141 of 1,423
This is where I plan to place the LC on the DAC-19. Since @Stillhart mentioned the LC is about the same size as 3 Blu-Ray cases I'm pretty happy with the overall placement in my setup.

You've got it sideways there.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,142 of 1,423
You've got it sideways there.

Nope. Where I sit the unit is to my right slightly behind me so the headphone cable is better positioned to rest on the desk instead of ending up under the chairs casters. Plus I don't block the vent this way. :wink_face:

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,143 of 1,423
  Northern Fidelity NF DAC, Oppo HA-1 dac section (using the amp section as my primary right now), the Cypher Labs Solo -db and the Dac-19 (my primary dac right now).

I need to dig the NF DAC back out of it's box and compare to the Solo -db and the HA-1.  I kind of hope that overexuberance and the burning need for something new lead to the Cypher Labs Solo -db and the ALO Rx Mk3-B that came as a pair.  I'm thinking they may leave my stable, although, the Cypher labs solo -db also works really well with my work speaker system, so maybe I'll just sell the amp.  I never seem to use an amp when I'm actually away from a chair and an electrical outlet, so.....  Anyway, I see the HA-1 and maybe the solo leaving me soon, and that ALO amp, which is really nice, but just doesn't suit my needs.  That ought to about get me to the Ether C's.

As an aside (actually this is all an aside....) the LC seems to be pretty happy regardless of the dac feeding it?  I've heard the Hugo (big$$ to me) and the solo (reasonably priced when used, and portable) and both sounded great.

I want to save up for an eventual Multibit Gugnir or DAC-19, but I know of a shop here in Japan selling used Cypher Solos, and that might be a good interim solution. 

I wonder if that would offer much better sound than the dac in my AK120II? 

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,144 of 1,423
One more newby question: If I were to get the Dac-19 to go with the LC (instead of the Multibit Gugnir, say), the single-endedness of the Dac-19 wouldn't be much of an issue because of the LC's phase splitter. However, most headphone amps don't come with phase splitters, right? So say in a few years I wanted to upgrade to one of Cavalli's true high-end amps, or something like the WA22, would the lack of balanced output on the Dac-19 be a limitation? 

Thanks for any advice. Still trying to figure stuff out. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,145 of 1,423
  One more newby question: If I were to get the Dac-19 to go with the LC (instead of the Multibit Gugnir, say), the single-endedness of the Dac-19 wouldn't be much of an issue because of the LC's phase splitter. However, most headphone amps don't come with phase splitters, right? So say in a few years I wanted to upgrade to one of Cavalli's true high-end amps, or something like the WA22, would the lack of balanced output on the Dac-19 be a limitation? 

Thanks for any advice. Still trying to figure stuff out. 

Well, the WA22 added a phase splitter last year.  So if you buy that new you'll be fine.  You'd have to ask Alex about his other amps...

Sep 12, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,146 of 1,423

Well, the WA22 added a phase splitter last year.  So if you buy that new you'll be fine.  You'd have to ask Alex about his other amps...

Thanks. But, just in general, if an amp doesn't have a phase splitter, and I give it SE signal, then that means I can only get SE output, even if the amp offers both SE and balanced outs, right? 

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,147 of 1,423

Thanks. But, just in general, if an amp doesn't have a phase splitter, and I give it SE signal, then that means I can only get SE output, even if the amp offers both SE and balanced outs, right? 

You can still use the balanced port to plug in balanced headphones, but you potentially won't be getting all the benefits of the balanced amp.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,151 of 1,423
Your source does not become bad because it's not balanced, and I think you still get SQ benefits from a well implemented balanced amp. A better designed single ended dac should sound better than a less good balanced dac. Your initial signal is most important; you can't improve it by balancing the signal afterward.
My main rig had a balanced preamp, a balanced amp. My turntable, Linn LP12, goes in single ended. Sounds wonderful to me...have a single ended DAC as well, Mojo Mystique, nos/r-2-r, sounds really nice (when I connect it up, long story...). Go for the best sounding dac you can afford, regardless of balanced status. Imo, of course.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,152 of 1,423
Northern Fidelity NF DAC, Oppo HA-1 dac section (using the amp section as my primary right now), the Cypher Labs Solo -db and the Dac-19 (my primary dac right now).

I need to dig the NF DAC back out of it's box and compare to the Solo -db and the HA-1.  I kind of hope that overexuberance and the burning need for something new lead to the Cypher Labs Solo -db and the ALO Rx Mk3-B that came as a pair.  I'm thinking they may leave my stable, although, the Cypher labs solo -db also works really well with my work speaker system, so maybe I'll just sell the amp.  I never seem to use an amp when I'm actually away from a chair and an electrical outlet, so.....  Anyway, I see the HA-1 and maybe the solo leaving me soon, and that ALO amp, which is really nice, but just doesn't suit my needs.  That ought to about get me to the Ether C's.

As an aside (actually this is all an aside....) the LC seems to be pretty happy regardless of the dac feeding it?  I've heard the Hugo (big$$ to me) and the solo (reasonably priced when used, and portable) and both sounded great.

I'm going through different scenarios until the LC comes in. Sell HA-1 and DAC-19 to fund the Master 11, and use the more transportable LC with my portable player LO feeding it. Or keep the DAC-19 to feed the LC and sell the LCD-2 and the HA-1 and pick up the ETHER-C. It would be much easier if the LC wasn't delayed so I didn't have to keep wondering if the sound will be as large as the Master 11 (which I haven't heard either), or as transparent as the HA-1 amp section. Decisions decisions. :rolleyes:

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,153 of 1,423
Balanced output from the amp adapted to a single-ended IEM? No.

Agree with Brian. As I understand it with a single ended source to balanced HP's just mean you're sharing the negative leg across the channels into the transducers. Balanced source connected to a SE HP means you're shorting the negative leg across the amp. Cheers

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,154 of 1,423
Anybody heard or know of the Monarchy Audio M18 dac? Not much info, but seems to check all the boxes:
http://monarchyaudio.com/ (Scroll down halfway on the page). Balanced, r2r, line out, $499

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,155 of 1,423
Anybody heard or know of the Monarchy Audio M18 dac? Not much info, but seems to check all the boxes:
http://monarchyaudio.com/ (Scroll down halfway on the page). Balanced, r2r, line out, $499

No direct experience with that model, but I've had a brief demo with one of their 22 models - not sure which variant (A, B, or C). It sounded pretty good. I've heard good things about their tube DAC too.

Just note that that doesn't have USB input, so if you plan on using it via USB you'll need to factor in price and space for a USB-to-SPDIF/AES interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back