Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Sep 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,111 of 1,423

I'd like to hear a Metrum DAC at some point.  But I have both the GMB and the DAC-19 now so I don't really need it.  Aren't the Metrum DAC's all NOS?  I think the Musette is just an updated Octave so it might be worth looking into one of those to save some bucks?

Can you weigh in on the comparison of the SE output between these two? and the Metrum's are NOS and the Musette is the new Octvae and might be within reach, so i will be researching the comparison of the three.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,112 of 1,423
  Can you weigh in on the comparison of the SE output between these two? and the Metrum's are NOS and the Musette is the new Octvae and might be within reach, so i will be researching the comparison of the three.

Between what two, the GMB and DAC-19?  AxelCloris already summed it up nicely.  The GMB's SE outputs are notably worse than the balanced outputs.  If you're planning on using your DAC only in SE mode, the DAC-19 is superior.  The balanced GMB is comparable to the SE DAC-19 when used with the Liquid Carbon.

Since the Musette isn't out yet, I doubt you'll find anything useful on it.  But if you do, feel free to link here!  I'm definitely curious too.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #1,114 of 1,423
Between what two, the GMB and DAC-19?  AxelCloris already summed it up nicely.  The GMB's SE outputs are notably worse than the balanced outputs.  If you're planning on using your DAC only in SE mode, the DAC-19 is superior.  The balanced GMB is comparable to the SE DAC-19 when used with the Liquid Carbon.

Since the Musette isn't out yet, I doubt you'll find anything useful on it.  But if you do, feel free to link here!  I'm definitely curious too.

Well assuming the new metrum is only possibly better than the predecessor Octave Mkii then if things between the octave and the DAC-19 seem good then it might be worthwhile. I just cannot get over the looks of the audio-GD stuff I guess and it's quite large

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,115 of 1,423

•  
  •  
  •  
Well assuming the new metrum is only possibly better than the predecessor Octave Mkii then if things between the octave and the DAC-19 seem good then it might be worthwhile. I just cannot get over the looks of the audio-GD stuff I guess and it's quite large

I never could figure out why people cared so much about how their audio gear looked.  Then again, I don't understand Twitter either and that seems to be pretty popular.  
biggrin.gif

*shrug* To each his own, I guess.  

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,116 of 1,423

I never could figure out why people cared so much about how their audio gear looked.  Then again, I don't understand Twitter either and that seems to be pretty popular.  
biggrin.gif

*shrug* To each his own, I guess.  

Agreed. I'm in this hobby for the sound, not the looks. If the latter was my main priority I would find another hobby.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,117 of 1,423

Agreed. I'm in this hobby for the sound, not the looks. If the latter was my main priority I would find another hobby.

Maybe I was misunderstood, I feel that the Gungnir is a better fit for the space I have than the DAC-19. I have looked over the measurements though and realized this is not the case, so I definitely will be considering it. I thought it was bulky but it seems thats more of just the impression it gave me.

I am definitely looking into the Musette though, it seems like a nice option that would fit well underneath the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and do a more than suitable job. I am researching every possible option now though, I will try and summarie any findings and maintain a watchful eye on this thread for more suggestions. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,118 of 1,423
  I am planning on a Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit when I get rid of some other items. I think the combination should be spectacular. Anyone see another R-2R DAC option that is at or below the GMB that is currently in production?

you asked, so no need to provide commentary back.

Here are two

MHDT Havana, MHDT Stockholm.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,119 of 1,423
  you asked, so no need to provide commentary back.

Here are two

MHDT Havana, MHDT Stockholm.

Oh yeah, the MHDT ones, I keep forgetting about those.  @Soundsgoodtome loves his Paradisea and I believe he preferred it to the DAC-19.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,120 of 1,423

Oh yeah, the MHDT ones, I keep forgetting about those.  @Soundsgoodtome loves his Paradisea and I believe he preferred it to the DAC-19.

Used to have the Paradisea for my HD800's but I want to stay SS as my headphones are CD3000's which I believe are 32 Ohm, not trying to increase the noise floor any

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,122 of 1,423
  These aren't amps so impedance has nothing to do with it

but the Paradisea is a tube-buffered DAC and tubes raise the noise floor, or are you saying this is inaccurate at the DAC level as it is before any analog step (which makes no sense to me right now).

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,123 of 1,423
  but the Paradisea is a tube-buffered DAC and tubes raise the noise floor, or are you saying this is inaccurate at the DAC level as it is before any analog step (which makes no sense to me right now).

YEA,

You don't want a tube anywhere in your system because of all that noise.  How did Cavalli sell all those noisy amps for years?  
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #1,124 of 1,423
  YEA,

You don't want a tube anywhere in your system because of all that noise.  How did Cavalli sell all those noisy amps for years?  
evil_smiley.gif

I am not saying that, I am saying that in my case I am trying to avoid any normally acceptable level of noise from tubes because I know how they can affect my headphones. I mainly have Sony CD3000's and CIEMs and I never would be able to use them comfortably with my setup I had for my HD800's which I cared more about getting some tube action warmth than I did about the small noise floor increases. 

So it seems we cannot truly expect the Metrum Acoustic Musette to be anything like its predecessor. I am excited for its release and will be waiting anxiously but it seems its a lost cause to try and find out information on it. It does however seem to be the smallest in size compared to the cubic inches of the GMB or DAC-19

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,125 of 1,423
  I am not saying that, I am saying that in my case I am trying to avoid any normally acceptable level of noise from tubes because I know how they can affect my headphones. I mainly have Sony CD3000's and CIEMs and I never would be able to use them comfortably with my setup I had for my HD800's which I cared more about getting some tube action warmth than I did about the small noise floor increases. 

So it seems we cannot truly expect the Metrum Acoustic Musette to be anything like its predecessor. I am excited for its release and will be waiting anxiously but it seems its a lost cause to try and find out information on it. It does however seem to be the smallest in size compared to the cubic inches of the GMB or DAC-19

Properly implemented tube circuits can be quiet/non-noisy. For example my Atma-Sphere mono-blocks, with 24 tubes across the two units are amazing and quiet (for a 2-channel system). For headphone use ALO's Studio Six and Continental Dual Mono (CDM) are also incredibly free from noise. I use my CDM (in low gain mode) with my sensitive K10 CIEM's with no issues at all. Cheers 

PS - Congrats to you for being one of the few Head-Fiers to use their actual picture as their avatar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back