Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Sep 3, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,097 of 1,423
Just snapped one(Theta Cobalt 207) up on Ebay for $200. A bit more than you(adobotj) paid but I'm ok with that price. Anyone feel maybe I paid a few $ too much?

Sep 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,098 of 1,423
Hmmm, Cobalt sounds interesting. The upper level Theta stuff had gotten fairly expensive.

Prices went up indeed. I guess the demand surpassed the supply considering its no longer produced. A very well made vintage piece of equipment. I'm very happy with the cobalt! No usb input though but I'm okay with that since I'm using optical out from my mac without any problems. It also accepts coaxial input.

Just snapped one(Theta Cobalt 207) up on Ebay for $200. A bit more than you(adobotj) paid but I'm ok with that price. Anyone feel maybe I paid a few $ too much?

I bought mine from Canada at Canuck Audio Mart. They sell stuff there cheaper than ebay. Paid 140+ including shipping. I think 200usd is good considering what you get for it. The Cobalt sells way more before and isn't really cheap. The parts and construction is top notch and lasts for a long long time. But most importantly is the sound coming out of it. IMO costs way more than 200usd. You'll definitely enjoy it! Congrats!

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #1,099 of 1,423

Congrats on the Cobalt and welcome to the R2R fam. :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,100 of 1,423
  I have an Audio-GD NOS-1704 on the way to pair with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Considering also picking up an Audio-GD Reference 5.32 to compare NOS/SE to OS/Balanced and selling whichever I like less.

My money is on the 5.32 connected BALANCED being the superior option. Curious to hear about the outcome of this. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,101 of 1,423
I am planning on a Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit when I get rid of some other items. I think the combination should be spectacular. Anyone see another R-2R DAC option that is at or below the GMB that is currently in production?

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,102 of 1,423
  I am planning on a Schiit Gungnir Multi-Bit when I get rid of some other items. I think the combination should be spectacular. Anyone see another R-2R DAC option that is at or below the GMB that is currently in production?

The DAC-19 (10th anniversary) should be a pretty good option for less than the GMB

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,103 of 1,423
  The DAC-19 (10th anniversary) should be a pretty good option for less than the GMB

Was thinking that but I am not a fan of the looks. Also, I think that is a 1704 design and never really loved that DAC. I'll take a deeper look on that though

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #1,104 of 1,423

No that sounds about right for a Cobalt. I payed $276 for my Theta DS Pro Progeny A which is supposed to sound almost identical to the Prime II. I also got free shipping on the Progeny too. I saw one recently go for about $285 and that isn't the version A model.

I payed about $500 for an EAD CD-1000 series III recently. (2x PCM63P-k, 1x PMD100 HDCD decoder/filter) I think it was a bit much but considering it is nearly identical to the DSP-1000 mkii and DSP7000mkiii as far as technology goes AND it plays CDs I think it wasn't a bad deal.

It would be impossible to find a new model CD player that sounds as good at $500 considering it was $2000 MSRP. Anyways consider that these are audio relics and many of them have parts that aren't manufactured anymore. In fact, I was lucky my EAD could be fixed since it was damaged during shipping and the laser lens of the Pioneer Stable Transport came loose. I sent it over to a place in Kansas suggested by the Noble audio guys (they hot-rod EADs) and sure enough he found the laser lens and reattached it.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,105 of 1,423

No that sounds about right for a Cobalt. I payed $276 for my Theta DS Pro Progeny A which is supposed to sound almost identical to the Prime II. I also got free shipping on the Progeny too. I saw one recently go for about $285 and that isn't the version A model.

I payed about $500 for an EAD CD-1000 series III recently. (2x PCM63P-k, 1x PMD100 HDCD decoder/filter) I think it was a bit much but considering it is nearly identical to the DSP-1000 mkii and DSP7000mkiii as far as technology goes AND it plays CDs I think it wasn't a bad deal.

It would be impossible to find a new model CD player that sounds as good at $500 considering it was $2000 MSRP. Anyways consider that these are audio relics and many of them have parts that aren't manufactured anymore. In fact, I was lucky my EAD could be fixed since it was damaged during shipping and the laser lens of the Pioneer Stable Transport came loose. I sent it over to a place in Kansas suggested by the Noble audio guys (they hot-rod EADs) and sure enough he found the laser lens and reattached it.

Sounds like you must have been a Nervous Nelly when they shipped it back.....or a nice little road trip to pick it up

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,106 of 1,423
  Was thinking that but I am not a fan of the looks. Also, I think that is a 1704 design and never really loved that DAC. I'll take a deeper look on that though

I've read a lot of folks disparaging the 1704 chip but based on my comparison with the GMB, it doesn't sound all that bad.  I'm not really sure what people are complaining about.  Maybe the slightly warmer sound signature?

Anways, I compared the GMB and DAC-19 and they sound very similar to my ears.  Feel free to check out my notes linked in my signature.  If you're looking for something that sounds like the GMB but costs a significant chunk less, the DAC-19 is your best non-vintage option.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,107 of 1,423

I've read a lot of folks disparaging the 1704 chip but based on my comparison with the GMB, it doesn't sound all that bad.  I'm not really sure what people are complaining about.  Maybe the slightly warmer sound signature?

Anways, I compared the GMB and DAC-19 and they sound very similar to my ears.  Feel free to check out my notes linked in my signature.  If you're looking for something that sounds like the GMB but costs a significant chunk less, the DAC-19 is your best non-vintage option.

Looking at it now, Its not balanced, sorry I was not specific enough

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,108 of 1,423
  Looking at it now, Its not balanced, sorry I was not specific enough

The LC's phase splitter is the real deal. Balanced isn't a requirement for me, I'm going to be deciding based on a DAC's best output. Stillhart covered before that the balanced GMB is on fairly equal footing next to the single ended DAC-19, and the single ended GMB output is far below either.

If you're looking specifically for balanced DAC to use with the LC and other balanced amps as well, that makes sense. But if you're just need a DAC for the LC and nothing else then you can consider some excellent SE DACs as well.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #1,109 of 1,423

The LC's phase splitter is the real deal. Balanced isn't a requirement for me, I'm going to be deciding based on a DAC's best output. Stillhart covered before that the balanced GMB is on fairly equal footing next to the single ended DAC-19, and the single ended GMB output is far below either.

If you're looking specifically for balanced DAC to use with the LC and other balanced amps as well, that makes sense. But if you're just need a DAC for the LC and nothing else then you can consider some excellent SE DACs as well.

Maybe since I like Schiit Gear I might just wait on the Bifrost to get the Multi-bit upgrade as well. I will take a greater look into that now that you mentioned it.

Anyone give some consideration to http://www.head-fi.org/t/777406/metrum-acoustics-musette-nos-mini-dac-impressions-discussion-thread ?

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,110 of 1,423
  Maybe since I like Schiit Gear I might just wait on the Bifrost to get the Multi-bit upgrade as well. I will take a greater look into that now that you mentioned it.

Anyone give some consideration to http://www.head-fi.org/t/777406/metrum-acoustics-musette-nos-mini-dac-impressions-discussion-thread ?

I'd like to hear a Metrum DAC at some point.  But I have both the GMB and the DAC-19 now so I don't really need it.  Aren't the Metrum DAC's all NOS?  I think the Musette is just an updated Octave so it might be worth looking into one of those to save some bucks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back