Final Audio Design Muramasa VIII
Jun 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #290 of 359

Didn't Ultrasone cart the Edition 7 around to trade shows even after all of them were spoken for? I may be mistaken, but I remember seeing pictures of them after the fact.

And I don't think we're as worried about the box as we are about: does it *sound* like a $10,000 headphone? (and what does a $10,000 headphone sound like?).

I think the box looks neato tbh; all wood against the metal of the 'phones.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #291 of 359
Quote:
Didn't Ultrasone cart the Edition 7 around to trade shows even after all of them were spoken for? I may be mistaken, but I remember seeing pictures of them after the fact.
And I don't think we're as worried about the box as we are about: does it *sound* like a $10,000 headphone? (and what does a $10,000 headphone sound like?).
I think the box looks neato tbh; all wood against the metal of the 'phones.

Actually, I don't think their sound is as important as the whole package, to be honest. I don't think anyone buys them for their sound quality. I think those who bought them, did so because of other values. It's more of an art piece than anything. An item made to showcase the company and the worksmanship of their designer. Just like those concept cars.

It's like buying one of those cellphones in gold that cost more than Joe Schmoe makes in a year, and ask "So, does it have better reception than an old Nokia?". 

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #293 of 359
Actually, I don't think their sound is as important as the whole package, to be honest. I don't think anyone buys them for their sound quality. I think those who bought them, did so because of other values. It's more of an art piece than anything. An item made to showcase the company and the worksmanship of their designer. Just like those concept cars.

It's like buying one of those cellphones in gold that cost more than Joe Schmoe makes in a year, and ask "So, does it have better reception than an old Nokia?". 

I could see that - its just usually the rare/fancy type headphones also sound really good too.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #294 of 359
I would imagine the sound will be good, although probably in keeping with FAD's other limited run products: idiosyncratic, but delivering an intended result.

It is kind of like fine architecture, where the thing has to serve a function (a dwelling, an office, a headphone) but also contribute and alter that experience in ways that suit the designer's goals. To that extent it may merit criticism as a high-end headphone (and achieve or fall short of that goal), but must also be considered as an object of art, and succeed as good art or fail as bad art.

So far I only have photos to go by--just like almost everybody else--but I find it intriguing as an art piece.

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #298 of 359
Quote:
Most have probably noticed the posts regarding the Muramasa VIII have been blanked. The future of the Muramasa VIII is uncertain at this point, so FAD have asked me not to discuss it, and I'm respecting their wishes.

So they are stopping production on these? Not going to be on the retail market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back