Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,011 of 11,644
Damn... I like that Grooveshark website - never been there. They had some of my favorite Zappa tunes

This is one of my favorite recordings - if you aren't familiar with Frank - he can be odd - but some of his recordings are great - others so-so. He always made a point to have some of the best musicians in the world play with him - saw him live a few times in LA.

This link is to a song off the "One Size Fits All" album - the link takes you to a list of four copies - just play the first one that comes up - nice recording - I always loved the bass riff on this song - great, just great.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q=Frank%20Zappa%20%26%20The%20Mothers%20of%20Inventions%20Andy

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,012 of 11,644
Quote:

Here's a few more tracks to test low frequencies:

1. Brian Eno's Juju Space Jazz (off his Nerve Net album)
  2. Radiohead's The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
  3. Peter Gabriel's Barry Williams Show
  4. Brian Eno's Lizard Point (off his On Land album)
  5. Fripp & Eno's Ringing Beat as well as Deep Indian Long (off their Cotswold Gnomes album)

I also loved Gabriel's Barry Williams Show - I saw the US tour - amazing sound. No one really mentions that one - good catch.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,013 of 11,644
I have a lot of listening to do. Thank you all for the great recommendations! (Yes, even you, music.)

I hope I can make the listen-in on Saturday, thanks SoundFreaq for setting it up/keeping it going!

In the meantime: usual caveat

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,014 of 11,644
Not sure why but for all the cool tone in that photo, I get a sense of warmth. And I dig it.

Anyone care to offer up what they use to test treble?

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,017 of 11,644

Quote:
Finally:

Sorry the photos are not great but i was more interesting in getting them in my ears :D

I didn't know up late had suddenly changed his HF ID to Swimsonny!

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,018 of 11,644
and finally changed his Avatar from the stock one
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2,019 of 11,644
… and apparently moved to the UK as well, and written an extra 4000 posts in just a few hours (!). All we have to ask now is whether he actually got the PF X I had predicted, or went for the IX (looking more closely at those pics, it looks like it's a PF IX).

Whatever the case, I'm convinced some serious brain washing must have gone on there to finally decide to get a pair of Piano Fortess, known in certain circles as The Abominations.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,021 of 11,644
pulled the trigger on the PF X. figured that should get me life membership in this "exclusive club". hadn't thought about a new avatar tho.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,022 of 11,644
Quote:
You have got to mix things up every now and again and, yes, it is a life time ambition of mine to be the top poster of the hour, i think 4k posts should do it?

It is the X-CC!

So, what made you go for the PF X (instead of the IX or VIII) and, more importantly, what are your honest initial impressions?

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,023 of 11,644
Quote:

So, what made you go for the PF X (instead of the X or VIII) and, more importantly, what are your honest initial impressions?

Its a loaner so i did not really get a choice, it was a complete surprise actually :D they are brand new, i guess thats worth mentioning!

Hmmmm.....

I have listened through the latest XX album and Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams (picked them both as i love the vocals on them racks and, well thats what these are said to be about, i will look through all the recommended tracks soon from this thread) on my Colorfly C4 Pro so far.

First of all, very spacious and i love this, the atmosphere that they create is very pleasant. Second of all the mids are right up my street, the vocals are smacking you round the face but also sound full and not fake or radio-esque, properties that last IEM that was on this level of mid centric ness (ASG-1 1.1) had and make it no where near as enjoyable. Mid bass feels a bit lack luster and disjointed and sub-bass..... yes empty. I am finding them addictive right now though and have not even messed around with sources etc

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,024 of 11,644
congrats man. they are sweet looking phones. ugh - just saw your post. nice loaner anyways.

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #2,025 of 11,644
Quote:
Its a loaner so i did not really get a choice...

OK, I'm not jealous, then. (actually I think I'd still prefer the stainless steel look, tbh)

Quote:
... they are brand new, i guess thats worth mentioning!

Hmmmm.....

Right — since they're brand new, any sonic criticisms you may have will always be the product of insufficient burn-in — and that is a fact. If you still find something wrong after 2000 hrs of burn-in, you'll need an extra 500 hrs; if still not fully convinced, and extra 300 hrs might just do the trick... and so on and so forth.

woodcans, once again, really, really hate to admit that was a great photo (my second favourite of those you've posted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back