FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Oct 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #14,941 of 18,020

DSD is definitely supported. I have 3 or 4 albums on my X7 in DSD which all play fine. The only limitation is that it cannot play DSD 256

Can you send me a few files for checking, please?
Because, foobar has troubles playing DSD through DAC mode and Fiio app just shows that the track is playing, but there is no sound.
Can you try these 2 files, please: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcwwcerqx1py5bh/07%20-%20Signature.dsf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rp8fuap8ukc4wa/B3%20Mutter.dff?dl=0

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #14,943 of 18,020
Are you using FW 2.0 or 3.03? FiiO have confirmed that hi res tracks are down-sampled through the digital output in FW 3 to my Chord Hugo. All play correctly in FW2.0.

Runs on FW 2.0, 3.0, 3.0.2 all my DSD collection except one album. I only hear music with FiiO X7 in my car via Line Out, and with my headphones Senheisser HD 800 via balanced output with AM3.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #14,944 of 18,020
Gapless playback is for recordings that have multiple tracks with no discernible pause, or gap if you will, between them. Many artists such as Pink Floyd make such recordings. Without the ability to play gapless there will be pauses inserted in between tracks when there should be none. It is very annoying, ruining the continuity of the recording. I would never consider purchasing any player that was not able to do gapless playback flawlessly. I am sure there are many,many more people in this part of the world who feel the same way. It is that important.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #14,947 of 18,020
Gapless playback is for recordings that have multiple tracks with no discernible pause, or gap if you will, between them. Many artists such as Pink Floyd make such recordings. Without the ability to play gapless there will be pauses inserted in between tracks when there should be none. It is very annoying, ruining the continuity of the recording. I would never consider purchasing any player that was not able to do gapless playback flawlessly. I am sure there are many,many more people in this part of the world who feel the same way. It is that important.

+1000
absolutely. symphonies, concertos, prog rock concept albums, edm mixes -- all these work better with gapless.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #14,948 of 18,020

1) how that list is fed and how bug priority is scaled up and down the list;
2) How/Who colects feedback from this forum and if it reaches that list, again with what priority;

I suspect FiiO is working in the new FiiO music app so its scaling down priorities of bugs related with the current app, fixing only whats essential to keep it working "as-is" - that's why we still don't have gapless, replay gain and a lot of other very aparently simple things corrected. I hope things would go that route.. but would love if I had some feedback from FiiO on this...

+1.
I am not getting response from Fiio staff about the issue with coaxial digital output.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #14,949 of 18,020
  Not sure why you guys are all hoping for an x7 upgrade. Sound quality is excellent, and depending on amp choice it can drive anything well (within reason for a portable setup). Seems to me an upgrade at this point would just be to conform to the silly cell phone upgrade pattern.

I am sure Fiio will get the firmware working. The question will be, will they get features working that people in North America value? Maybe, maybe not. We are not Fiio's primary markplace after all.

No matter how good the SQ is if it's plague by bugs that annoys you and interrupts you from enjoying your music, then it's a no go. It's just a mind-boggling to me that after more than 2 years, the basic playback features still doesn't work properly. 

Fiio was better than this (at least on X5/X3). They definitely took a step back X7 FW. Doesn't matter what features they add on X7 if the basic ones doesn't work as expected. 

The only time I have used my X7 for hours is when l listen to audiobooks where gapless, minor clicks, glitches doesn't matter.

I hope they fix the bugs soon or X7 will be a $600+ paperweight for me. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #14,950 of 18,020
P.s: btw guys, what is gapless playback? I just do not understand why so much mess around it xD Probably, I need it too?) 

Some albums are recorded such that they sound like a continuous recording, so pauses between tracks break the listening experience. Check out Mars Volta's [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]De-Loused in the Comatorium for example[/color].

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #14,951 of 18,020

No matter how good the SQ is if it's plague by bugs that annoys you and interrupts you from enjoying your music, then it's a no go. It's just a mind-boggling to me that after more than 2 years, the basic playback features still doesn't work properly. 

Fiio was better than this (at least on X5/X3). They definitely took a step back X7 FW. Doesn't matter what features they add on X7 if the basic ones doesn't work as expected. 

The only time I have used my X7 for hours is when l listen to audiobooks where gapless, minor clicks, glitches doesn't matter.

I hope they fix the bugs soon or X7 will be a $600+ paperweight for me. 

And sadly, I am beginning to feel the same way.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #14,952 of 18,020
However, I would also like to point out that gapless isn't about what's important to which market. You guys use this to advertise the product yourselves [COLOR=39464C]— [/COLOR]in English, to appeal to English-speaking customers.

I got my X7 9 months ago and still don't have gapless. Should the marketing material instead say "Gapless playback eventually supported in future firmware revisions"?
I'm pointing this out to help you see how some of your grateful English-speaking clients can feel off-put about this.

I support this comment of yours! It was promised as one of the features of this device. If FiiO doesn't buck up, this will be my last FiiO purchase.

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #14,953 of 18,020
I support this comment of yours! It was promised as one of the features of this device. If FiiO doesn't buck up, this will be my last FiiO purchase.

I´ve already put mine on Amazon for sale. I´m fed up with always reading "We will hopefully fix this and that with the next update". Fiio simply doesn´t deliver.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #14,954 of 18,020
Hi All, 

I've installed Neutron and feeling a bit daunted by it, so many settings and toggles with no apparent manual.

I've got my library setup and after listening a little the sound seems a bit odd to me, almost like something is missing or veiled.  

Would someone be able to help me with configuring this to it's best?  I feel with myriad of settings; all configured correctly this would probably be the best player to use.  I only have the free Evaluation version for 5 days and want to be completely satisfied with the quality before I splash out on the full version.

Oh i'm using AM5 with AKG K550 if it matters :)

Thanks
Paul

**Update**

So i decided to have a dabble with the settings (I really should be working - shhhh!) and now i have this sounding epic - i will be purchasing.

As you may or may not have seen - i've been fighting (with fleeting success as after a while it would somehow get stuck in pure music mode) with Fiio's choice of launcher and the inability to set our own such as Nova.  So Drastic action and finally some permanent success - I removed the default Launcher3 and the Fiio Music Application.  Set Nova as a System app and renamed it to replace the Fiio Music application.  I now permanently have Nova Launcher so can customise the player exactly how i want, i felt the Fiio music application would be a minor loss if i could find a suitable replacement.  Neutron is now my main music app and it sounds soo much better than the Fiio App (why have i not tried it sooner!) - so no loss, the UI is a little more fiddly, but it wasn't exactly great on the Fiio App.

So for anyone who may be interested in Neutron and may have been put off by the initial onslaught of settings and toggles, fear not!  Here are my settings, and this sounds great!

These can be changed to suit you :- 
Clock - Off
Sleep Timer - Off
Wake Up Timer - Off
Output To - Off
Equalizer - Off

DSP Effect - Crossfeed
Crossfeed - Off
Surround Sound - Off
Speaker Time Allignment  - On #1
Fader - Off
Playback Mode - Off
Tempo and Pitch - Off
Replay Gain - Off
64 Bit Processing - On
Resampling - Audiophile
Automatic Gain Protection - Off

Audio Hardware - All Sliders at default
Mono - Off
Dither - Off
Phase Inversion - Off
Subsonic Filter - Off
Reverse Stereo - Off
Hardware Gain - On
Audio Focus - On (I think this just stops notifications dimming the sound)
CPU Wake Lock - On
Generic Driver - On
Direct USB Driver - Off
32 Bit Output - Off (Caused crackling when i turned it on?)
DSD over PCM (DoP) - Off
Follow Source Frequency - Not sure about this one - it doesn't seem to do anything, but i have a feeling it should be on?
Channels - Stereo L+R

I know just from my dabbling these may not be the 'ultimate' settings and please feel free to let me know of any other recommendations!

Cheers
Paul

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #14,955 of 18,020

Cayin has issues with gapless as well,
Pioneer/Onkyo apparently are able to implement gapless playback flawless on an Android powered DAP and I assume there are more manufacturers out there which can.
There are Android apps like USB Audio Player Pro which support gapless and bitperfect playback on basically any Android powered smartphone.

So it can be done, why the hold back from Fiio and Cayin to commit solving this ASAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back