FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Apr 6, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #10,891 of 18,020
  Does anyone know how the X7 compares to the QP1R and L5Pro with the AM1/2 modules from an SQ perspective?

I had been eyeing the X7 up but went for the QP1R in the end.  Still being drawn to the X7 though.

Can't comment on the QP1R, but Alex (@twister6) may be able to shed some insight

As far as the L5 Pro and X7 go - they are very similar in overall SQ, but with slightly different characteristics.

With AM2, the X7 is slightly richer, slightly fuller, slightly warmer. The L5 Pro is slightly more detailed, a bit more neutral, and I would even say a little more natural sounding. X7 has the better user experience though - much more optiosn as far swiping, searching, EQ etc.  L5 Pro is good for navigation, but still fairly rudimentary - where the X7 is more polished.  I really like both.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #10,892 of 18,020

Can't comment on the QP1R, but Alex (@twister6) may be able to shed some insight

As far as the L5 Pro and X7 go - they are very similar in overall SQ, but with slightly different characteristics.

With AM2, the X7 is slightly richer, slightly fuller, slightly warmer. The L5 Pro is slightly more detailed, a bit more neutral, and I would even say a little more natural sounding. X7 has the better user experience though - much more optiosn as far swiping, searching, EQ etc.  L5 Pro is good for navigation, but still fairly rudimentary - where the X7 is more polished.  I really like both.

Thank you. I do love the QP1R; the sound is amazing. Being in this game you always want to try something else. At the moment the X7 is edging ahead of the L5 Pro because the of upcoming balanced module. I also like the sound of the Sony PHA-3 which uses the ES9018 chip, so I'm hoping the X7 sounds similar.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #10,893 of 18,020
Yes.

Put a grown man and a new born child in a cage and have them fight to the death.

Now have the baby press a button to become god.

The button being my.purchase of the AM2.

There you go.

Get it. Everyone here get the AM2.

I'm now an honorary FiiO shill.

This is how the noble fanboys must feel, SUCH POWER.

Baby wins by bloody combat.

I SWEAR, I might even hold a raffle for a free AM2 I love it that much.

AM2 is a big improvement from AM1. However, I still think my mojo is way ahead of the AM2. The AM2 continues to lack detail and some dynamics to my ear.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #10,894 of 18,020
to those who experienced the right channel being slightly less loud; was the player connected to a USB cable?

yesterday i noticed that when i wiggled the micro usb cable to one side, it changed the loudness.

what i think might be happening is that the shielding (the metal outside of the micro usb connector) touches the lead of the line out build into the 11 pin connector.

Apr 6, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #10,895 of 18,020

Does anyone know how the X7 compares to the QP1R and L5Pro with the AM1/2 modules from an SQ perspective?

I had been eyeing the X7 up but went for the QP1R in the end.  Still being drawn to the X7 though.

Sorry, didn't have a chance to listen to QP1R yet, but have been contacted by Questyle PR rep to review one awhile back, just waiting for a review loaner to become available.

A few years back, there used to be a more noticeable difference in sound quality, separating entry level, mid-fi, and summit-fi DAPs.  But in the last year with so many new releases and more to come - the line is starting to blur.  I mean, there is a difference, but not exactly night'n'day.  That's why in a number of my reviews, similar to your impression above, I have been using more often "slight" and "a little bit" when describing superiority of one over the other (referring to different aspects of audio performance).  I have a feeling that moving forward for many consumers the biggest differentiating factor will be a robust swipable touch screen interface, being able to stream/wifi and pair up wireless headphones, have a decent internal storage capacity, and overall design.  Of course, sound quality is important too :)  And I think it's very clear now that you don't have to spend more than $1k to get a high quality DAP.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #10,896 of 18,020

Sorry, didn't have a chance to listen to QP1R yet, but have been contacted by Questyle PR rep to review one awhile back, just waiting for a review loaner to become available.

A few years back, there used to be a more noticeable difference in sound quality, separating entry level, mid-fi, and summit-fi DAPs.  But in the last year with so many new releases and more to come - the line is starting to blur.  I mean, there is a difference, but not exactly night'n'day.  That's why in a number of my reviews, similar to your impression above, I have been using more often "slight" and "a little bit" when describing superiority of one over the other (referring to different aspects of audio performance).  I have a feeling that moving forward for many consumers the biggest differentiating factor will be a robust swipable touch screen interface, being able to stream/wifi and pair up wireless headphones, have a decent internal storage capacity, and overall design.  Of course, sound quality is important too :)  And I think it's very clear now that you don't have to spend more than $1k to get a high quality DAP.

Add in more obscure Chinese DAPs and you will have filled in most of the niches.

Ive also read that the Xduoo X3 outperforms the FiiO X3ii in SQ and now with rockbox support, even in UI. And all that for $88 (exclusively for head fiers) which is even lower than the price FiiO X1.

Times have indeed changed.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #10,897 of 18,020

[...]
The bass is very present and controlled, the TREBLE is MUCH more controlled as well! No more ear pain!
The vocals are actually less intimate here though, from my experience. They sound more organic, if that's your thing.
Which is expected due to the high frequency not being as much of a priority, but trust me, it's still VERY present.
The player is now legitimately holographic, but in a warm LF shifted sort of way... [...]

Thanks for sharing

I am wondering if AM2 would be just "too warm" for my taste. X7 mids and specially highs sound just right with my JH Audio Angie 2 (it was indeed a bit harsh with the UE900), I wouldn't like to see them less bright.

Apr 6, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #10,898 of 18,020
When people describe the AM2 as Warmer with less treble makes me think I made a big mistake. I was looking for something with a bit more power to drive my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 to the performance I like, Not to compete with the tonality of my headphones!

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #10,899 of 18,020
  When people describe the AM2 as Warmer with less treble makes me think I made a big mistake. I was looking for something with a bit more power to drive my Beyerdynamic T5p.2 to the performance I like, Not to compete with the tonality of my headphones!

It has a little more power, but nothing special. AM2 is more than anything a tonal change.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #10,900 of 18,020

I don't find it any warmer or lacking treble. And to me the power increase is notable over the AM1. You can tell there is more headroom and just better dynamic performance as well as much better bass control. 

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #10,901 of 18,020

I don't find it any warmer or lacking treble. And to me the power increase is notable over the AM1. You can tell there is more headroom and just better dynamic performance as well as much better bass control. 

When comparing the AM1 with the Fiio E18 and the AM2 specs, I noticed that the biggest differences is voltage. Both the E18 and AM2 have over 8 Vp-p, and the AM1 has only 5.2 Vp-p. Perhaps this is what is making up the diffferences I hear between the AM1 and the E18?

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #10,903 of 18,020
to those who experienced the right channel being slightly less loud; was the player connected to a USB cable?

yesterday i noticed that when i wiggled the micro usb cable to one side, it changed the loudness.

what i think might be happening is that the shielding (the metal outside of the micro usb connector) touches the lead of the line out build into the 11 pin connector.

This has happened with the AM1.

No prob on the AM2 yet. Will keep you updated.

It's not warmer, it's more balanced per say.

Treble is no longer overpowered and bass is given a leverage.

Thanks for sharing

I am wondering if AM2 would be just "too warm" for my taste. X7 mids and specially highs sound just right with my JH Audio Angie 2 (it was indeed a bit harsh with the UE900), I wouldn't like to see them less bright.

Same as above, it's less airy, but not warm.
AM2 is a big improvement from AM1. However, I still think my mojo is way ahead of the AM2. The AM2 continues to lack detail and some dynamics to my ear.

I'm going to get all the amps at this point anyway, I'm treading bad territory (for my wallet) since I may get other gear within the following months.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #10,904 of 18,020
Hi,

I have trouble syncing audio with video while playing some video files.  This delay is random depending on player software.

The best I found so far is MX player with the correct codec.  The delay seems like only 30-50ms, but too bad MX player doesn't have audio sync delay feature.

Any advice?

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #10,905 of 18,020

Not in my case cos I never use any USB connections on my DAPS, except when charging the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back