FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jul 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #557 of 18,020
As I sit here listening to my X5 reading this thread I just want to add... I freakin love this thing. The main focus should be awesome sound!!! Yea I wince when I buy expensive micro SD cards, but I'll keep buying them for the eargasims I get when I listen to my X5. Part of the beauty is the small package, my biggest gripes are the 5800 song limit, and the slow startup speed. Keep it small, 3.5mm is fine with me? Is there some sonic detriment to an adapter? Micro SD is fine, internal battery is fine, make it easy to change though, the warrantee will be expired by the time it needs to be changed anyway. Unless we are going to get like a four year warrantee with the X7. MAKE IT SOUND INCREDIBLE!

One of the side benefits of the X5 is that to the casual observer it looks like an old school iPod, so for those few times I slip up and leave it in view on my front seat, it is unlikely that someone will steal it! So if you could keep that X look theme thing going it would be nice.

The down side is all the money I've been spending on music and headphones lately, and that ain't so bad.
Huang

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #559 of 18,020
Are there any prototype/early production Fiio X7's circulating with trialists at the moment?

Not for quite a while. Waaaaaay to early for that.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #561 of 18,020
That'll double the amp section, which will be quite a lot to ask consider FiiO's amp section tends to be more complex than most.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #563 of 18,020
  It is true that it might add components but I m not sure we would need to double the complete amp section.
Doubling only the current amplification stage might be enough, wouldn't it be ?

Yep, that would work though it is still probably not going to happen anyway.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #564 of 18,020
Have they finalized what DAC chip they are going with and if it's going to be double or not?

popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #565 of 18,020
I would like to have followings for my dream DAP
1)supports 24/384 pcm and 1x and 2x native dsd bitstreaming
2)longer battery life than the current fiio x5
3)balanced line out
4)more responsive ui
5)way cheaper than the ak240

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #566 of 18,020
Jul 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #567 of 18,020
------------------------------------------updated on 3st, May, 2014-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we have some decision about our new flagship portable DAP as below.

Model NO. X7

ETA: 2015

M.S.R.P:   $699 in U.S

OS: Custom OS based on Android, can supports some third party APP from our website.

Weight: Less than 300g

Size: thickness will be almost the same as X5 , the other size is almost the same as 5 inch Android Phone.

Screen: 3.5 inch ~ 4.3 inch Full Touch Screen. To be decided.

Key layout: Full touch control+ Bottoms+ Volume Knobs

Output power: > 300mW/32 ohms, Power supply: +/- 6V ~ +/-11 V  . To be Decided.

Playtime: 10 hours

Battery: Build in Battery.

Data transfer: USB 2.0 ( Micro USB), WiFi

Blue Tooth: YES , supports APTX

DAC chip: ESS9018 , not ESS9018M2K, The ES9018 includes 8 channels DAC which means it is equal to 4 X ESS9018M2K

Enclosure: Metal

Build in memory: To be decided.

Extra Memory: Micro SD slot X 2

Accessory : Leather Case X 1,  Micro USB cable X 1, 

Wooohoooo.  Nice.  This is going to be interesting.  I personally prefer high voltage swing.  Even for iems, I think high voltage swing helps, sound stage sounds larger.  To do all this, I'm afraid it will need a huge battery, and possibly bigger components, I'm afraid the X7 may get bulky.  I wonder if they can get no larger than Calyx M size with the ES9018S?  That would be perfect.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #569 of 18,020
Bearing in mind that this is to be a portable player, some features will have to be sacrificed in the interests of keeping size down.

I get that. My preference would be to sacrifice a big screen and to accept a smaller screen, and to use the extra space/cost for two full sized SD card slots and more battery (whether it be replaceable or not, I'm way too timid  to wade into that discussion
bigsmile_face.gif
 ).  

There is always a risk to over-specify, even in a so-called 'flagship' model, and with a portable player, even with Android installed, let's realize that it is both portable and a music player rather than a generic mini-tablet device.  The screen only needs to be used for some soft controls and a limited amount of text and cover art.  We don't need to consider adding a browser or email capability to the unit, so we don't need a large screen (we probably all have phones or other portable devices for such functionality).

A smaller screen reduces the cost, reduces battery consumption, and allows for either a smaller unit or more 'stuff' that is directly relevant to the prime mission of the unit - playing music excellently - to be put inside.

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #570 of 18,020
Dear James,

My dream player is a X5 with an empty mSATA slot (so that I can add my own 1TB mSATA SSD for $530, 500GB for $300 or 250GB for $170). Or X5 with 4 (four) microSD (TF) slots.

I am sure you have seen the poll result (wish list) for X7's features. Ability to support large storage was the second most wanted feature from over 100 Headfi votes. Maybe you can set up another vote and ask how much storage people would "dream" of. In my humble opinion, if you have lots of (high resolution) music, 256 GB is a must, 512GB is nice, 1024GB is a "dream". One of the selling point of X5/X3/X1 is high resolution playback, correct?

MicroSD / TF cards are still too expensive for too little storage. With that said, if you equip X7 with 
4 microSD slots, I will happily fill them all with 128GB cards now. ~500GB of microSD will cost me over $480 now, while ~500GB of mSATA SSD costs only $300 currently. 

mSATA SSDs are getting even bigger and cheaper because they are commonly used in tablets/laptops. Currently a 480GB (Crucial/Micron) mSATA SSD can run for 8-13 hours in a Rockboxed iPod Video 5.5th generation with 850 mAh battery, so it does NOT need a huge battery or a super thick enclosure:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/2610#post_10410434

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread/2670#post_10430207

I second the mSATA SSD option which would give lightning fast response speeds with better $ for storage

Much better than sticking 2 or 4 Micro SD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back