FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #3,931 of 18,020
I would say an audiophile is someone who loves high audio quality, not necessarily high musical quality, allthough that's not excluded either. And since high audio quality is dependent on technical preconditions... :blink: ...those aren't just blablabla.

To me an audiophile is someone who listens to the equipment rather than the music.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #3,932 of 18,020
To me an audiophile is someone who listens to the equipment rather than the music.

So an audiophile DAP is what based on this definition? Just repeating its specs in an endless loop? 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I sold all my headphones, that way there is nothing between me and my cables. Also deleted all my music - just Chesky's Demo CD is still in my "rotation" the less music the better I can differentiate the differences. (of course I am joking).

My definition:
Audiophile: Once had this crazy smile on his face when he truly experienced an amazing new headphone/DAP/Amp etc. when he wanted to re-listen to all his favorite music with the new equipment since it gave him goosebumps because it sounded so amazing. Since then he chases the next "fix" with equipment upgrades since the initial high has worn off...

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,933 of 18,020

I can't speak for others, but beside my love for music there's also a love for really good sound, the sensual experience of music, finally leading to a spiritual experience. The intellectual experience alone is not enough for me. On the other hand I'm really glad to have the equipment allowing for this, but I wouldn't say I listen to the equipment rather than to the music. I like to listen to the music and as pure and immaculate as possible a sonic appearance of it. Especially contemporary forms of classical and jazz are dependent on it.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3,934 of 18,020

I had only listened to music through all this experience. 

Experiencing music through new equipment, discovering new things in your old collection of music is quite mind opening. 

Even more so if the experience is as vivid as possible. 

I think that in the end some headphones and IEM might enchance the music to sound more vivid, more full of life and colour than even the real experience. Mostly due to digital processing and re-mastering and so on, but I love how music sounds on good equipment. 

The most important part of this hobby is and will be having the music you love and listening to it. This is where it all began for me. Using buds with a 10$ mp3player which had 512 mb of memory, listening to lossy mp3s of questionable bitrate.

Now I listen to the same music, but mostly in FLAC, with a fiio x5+fiio e12a + ie800 or ultrasone dj one pro. The difference lies in what I hear in that same music and in how much more lifelike it sounds, how much vivid it is. I never knew that breaking benjamin was a band with such a good sound before. With bad equipment it creates a boring wall of sound, with good equipment it is a very interesting experience to listen to them.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,935 of 18,020

I can't speak for others, but beside my love for music there's also a love for really good sound, the sensual experience of music, finally leading to a spiritual experience. The intellectual experience alone is not enough for me. On the other hand I'm really glad to have the equipment allowing for this, but I wouldn't say I listen to the equipment rather than to the music. I like to listen to the music and as pure and immaculate as possible a sonic appearance of it. Especially contemporary forms of classical and jazz are dependent on it.

You don't need to spend thousands to get good sound. That's my point. Yesterday I listened to a Tony Joe White Compilation on my trusty X3 Mark 1 paired with my D600's which I got dirt cheap. The D600's got absolutely trashed by "audiophiles" but with the bass on -2 (yes they are a little meaty in the bass) I was treated to a wonderful musical experience.

I guess I'm fortunate that my setup sounds good to me and therefore there is no logical reason to look for anything better. Even when I had the X5 and E12 I more often than not listened to the X3. I can understand the desire for perfect sound reproduction and the relentless it seems quest for it. I just don't think you haver to spend a small fortune to obtain it.

I'm still pissed off that I purchased some custom cables for my D600's. They look good but they don't make them sound any better.

Will I buy more equipment?? Absolutely. But only when what I have stops working.

I actually did purchase another set of cans recently but only because my Viso HP50's small cup size finally got the better of me so I sold them. I have replaced them with the ATHM50X's. Definitely not audiophile headphones but I am going to have some fun with them.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3,936 of 18,020

So an audiophile DAP is what based on this definition? Just repeating its specs in an endless loop? 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I sold all my headphones, that way there is nothing between me and my cables. Also deleted all my music - just Chesky's Demo CD is still in my "rotation" the less music the better I can differentiate the differences. (of course I am joking).

My definition:
Audiophile: Once had this crazy smile on his face when he truly experienced an amazing new headphone/DAP/Amp etc. when he wanted to re-listen to all his favorite music with the new equipment since it gave him goosebumps because it sounded so amazing. Since then he chases the next "fix" with equipment upgrades since the initial high has worn off...

Your definition sounds more like a junkie with possibly the same end result.
atsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,937 of 18,020
  You don't need to spend thousands to get good sound. That's my point. Yesterday I listened to a Tony Joe White Compilation on my trusty X3 Mark 1 paired with my D600's which I got dirt cheap. The D600's got absolutely trashed by "audiophiles" but with the bass on -2 (yes they are a little meaty in the bass) I was treated to a wonderful musical experience.

I guess I'm fortunate that my setup sounds good to me and therefore there is no logical reason to look for anything better. Even when I had the X5 and E12 I more often than not listened to the X3. I can understand the desire for perfect sound reproduction and the relentless it seems quest for it. I just don't think you haver to spend a small fortune to obtain it.

I'm still pissed off that I purchased some custom cables for my D600's. They look good but they don't make them sound any better.

Will I buy more equipment?? Absolutely. But only when what I have stops working.

I actually did purchase another set of cans recently but only because my Viso HP50's small cup size finally got the better of me so I sold them. I have replaced them with the ATHM50X's. Definitely not audiophile headphones but I am going to have some fun with them.

The term «audiophile» isn't reserved for people who spend lots of money for audio gear. You can enjoy music and sound on every level.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,938 of 18,020

The term «audiophile» isn't reserved for people who spend lots of money for audio gear. You can enjoy music and sound on every level.

It is true!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #3,939 of 18,020

Back to the X7. Excited for the launch. When my X3 gives out (built like a tank so way down the track) will have a closer look at it.

Hey @JamesFiiO do you have any Mk 1 X3's lying around you want to sell??

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,940 of 18,020
Greetings. Can you confirm, that X7 will support wifi mobile storages like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9B4482/ ?

Btw, with this "mobile storage", can I be at the place, where is no wifi / LTE / 3G / ... signal and nevertheless stream my music directly to X7? Of course, assuming I have both with me.  

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #3,945 of 18,020
  I think that it was more of an aswer of how the device works, but if it creates a wifi signal, I see no reason why it should not work either. These type of things work with smartphones, laptops, tablets, virtually everything that has an internet connection.

I'm just curious, how do You access music library from this device? Stock player, dedicated app? We still don't know what apps will be allowed in X7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back