FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jun 5, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,901 of 18,020
At first thought that X7 it was an audiophile device.

Audiophile means the best audio quality. With X7 DAC, DSD Native, 384 KHz,  amps and outputs, could have been the best audiophile product in this price range.

But for audiophile and hi-res audio, audio quality, storage and battery duration are the main goals for an audio device.

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Apps, Streaming Music, Spotify, etc are secondary and NOT REQUIRED features for an audiophile devices. And even less if any of these features limit or eliminate any main goals.

Spotify and streaming music is not hi-res audio an not for an audiophile people target. Also this can play in any simple smartphone. Its ridiculous to use an X7 with that hardware, DAC's, etc. to play Spotify or streaming music.

Also, any music app on Android (Neutron ,etc.) can't play audio more than 44 kHz.

With Hi-Res audio large files, like 24 bits/192 kHz, 24bits/352.8 kHz, DSD64 or DSD128, removing the additional microSD slot in order to accommodate Bluetooth and WiFi is a big error. I prefer two microSD slots than bluetooth or Wi-Fi on a Hi-Res player audiophile devices. For WiFi and bluetooth I own a smartphone. With the microdia 512GB microSD memory cards, two slots allows a 1 TB. of hi-res music storage. This is the really important, or more important than Bluetooth and WiFi on a audiophile device.

I think that removing the secondary microSD in order to accommodate bluetooth and WiFi slot you lose most of the people who were interested in this product, like me, which was to be the flagship product for audiophiles and I doubt anyone is interested in a device like this X7 for Spotify or streaming music.

Javier.
Madrid. Spain.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,902 of 18,020

Audiophile means the best audio quality. With X7 DAC, DSD Native, 384 KHz,  amps and outputs, could have been the best audiophile product in this price range.

But for audiophile and hi-res audio, audio quality, storage and battery duration are the main goals for an audio device.

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Apps, Streaming Music, Spotify, etc are secondary and NOT REQUIRED features for an audiophile devices. And even less if any of these features limit or eliminate any main goals.

Spotify and streaming music is not hi-res audio an not for an audiophile people target. Also this can play in any simple smartphone. Its ridiculous to use an X7 with that hardware, DAC's, etc. to play Spotify or streaming music.

Also, any music app on Android (Neutron ,etc.) can't play audio more than 44 kHz.

With Hi-Res audio large files, like 24 bits/192 kHz, 24bits/352.8 kHz, DSD64 or DSD128, removing the additional microSD slot in order to accommodate Bluetooth and WiFi is a big error. I prefer two microSD slots than bluetooth or Wi-Fi on a Hi-Res player audiophile devices. For WiFi and bluetooth I own a smartphone. With the microdia 512GB microSD memory cards, two slots allows a 1 TB. of hi-res music storage. This is the really important, or more important than Bluetooth and WiFi on a audiophile device.

I think that removing the secondary microSD in order to accommodate bluetooth and WiFi slot you lose most of the people who were interested in this product, like me, which was to be the flagship product for audiophiles and I doubt anyone is interested in a device like this X7 for Spotify or streaming music.

Javier.
Madrid. Spain.

The thing though is that there are plenty of devices that cater to the pure high end no frills just local audio. However there is an unfilled demand for a high quality player with streaming capabilities that nobody is taking seriously at the moment.

Maybe that was not so much an issue when the best streaming quality you could get was not really all that appealing. However with Tidal, Qobuz and 320K from Spotify there is a definitely a demand for something better than your phone to listen to your streaming library. I am really looking forward to all the streaming enabled players and it was one of the reasons why I sold my DX90 and stuck with an iphone plus portable amplifier in the mean time.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #3,903 of 18,020

Javier.
Madrid. Spain.

I just wanted to point out that 512gb microsd cards will be very expensive. Like 1000$ expensive. If you would have 2 of them, It would add up to 2000 only the cards. That is price overkill. There are better solutions, and streaming, if you stream from your own library server, only lossless is much better at this price point, and you could stream high end more space, like 5TB for the same price, using streaming.

I can see why Fiio is doing this. 

In Romania, you do not have enough bandwidth to stream on wifi in any place, but in most of America, and other civilized countries, there is enough wifi bandwidth to stream even more than this, so Fiio is actually doing a very nice and powerfull device.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #3,904 of 18,020

Javier.
Madrid. Spain.

Speak for yourself, the only reason I am even considering the X7 is BECAUSE it supports spotify and streaming services. Your definition of audiophile couldn't be farther from the truth. 

As for your last statement, PLENTY of people would be interested. Aside from a few crappy android DAPs on the market we don't have many choices in this arena and cellphones don't cut it. Good thing they wont take your opinion into consideration as I feel it would be a disservice to a lot of potential fans lol

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,905 of 18,020
  I just wanted to point out that 512gb microsd cards will be very expensive. Like 1000$ expensive. If you would have 2 of them, It would add up to 2000 only the cards. That is price overkill. There are better solutions, and streaming, if you stream from your own library server, only lossless is much better at this price point, and you could stream high end more space, like 5TB for the same price, using streaming.

In Romania, you do not have enough bandwidth to stream on wifi in any place, but in most of America, and other civilized countries, there is enough wifi bandwidth to stream even more than this, so Fiio is actually doing a very nice and powerfull device.

Eactly. I have unlimited data and stream spotify premium all day and HQ Youtube music. This would go nicely with all my gear as well. Not everyone one listens to classical music or high res DSD stuff. So I agree you with you, good point :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #3,906 of 18,020
"HQ Youtube music". Surely an oxymoron. Youtube compress the hell out of signal to get more bandwidth, afterall prioritising bandwidth for adverts is more important.

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #3,909 of 18,020
[strokes chin]Hmmmm.....[/strokes chin]

Have you downloaded a Youtube video bypassing their playback codec? You should try it, you'll be very surprised when you strip out the audio layer from the video how much detailed is sacrificed to obtain a stable playback when streaming.

To the average person it won't matter, although in retrospect it's just a compromise/

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3,910 of 18,020

Have you downloaded a Youtube video bypassing their playback codec? You should try it, you'll be very surprised when you strip out the audio layer from the video how much detailed is sacrificed to obtain a stable playback when streaming.

To the average person it won't matter, although in retrospect it's just a compromise/

I had tested this with many youtube videos. All youtube has very bad treble roll-off and sounds just plain bad...

But X7 will not play youtube at all, because it is a music player... It does not have the needed CPU ort GPU to play videos. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #3,911 of 18,020

I just bought two Lexar 256GB cards from Amazon.ca  If you go to the Amazon.com link,  you should find a 1000 somethingX256GB card down from $400,00 to about $150.00.  Might have been on the Questile QP1 or the FiiO X5 2nd Gen.  HTH

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,912 of 18,020

Is that obtained with utube to mp3 converter?  Or is there a better program?

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,913 of 18,020
Why all this worrying over storage? Why can't people get used to just swapping out memory cards? It's almost easier, and cheaper to have a card for different genres, a 128 gig for Jazz, a 128 gig for EDM, a 64 gig for a less interested genre, etc. micro sd cards are so small and easy to swap. My son has the Nintendo 3ds and his case to hold the controller itself has spots to hold like 6-8 games, and they are 4-5 times bigger than micro sd.

Jun 5, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #3,914 of 18,020
I used the Youtube convertor which runs as a Firefox extension as it seems to be better and more user friendly. In the download options for each video, you can just select the audio layer for download which saves time and processing time.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #3,915 of 18,020
  I just bought two Lexar 256GB cards from Amazon.ca  If you go to the Amazon.com link,  you should find a 1000 somethingX256GB card down from $400,00 to about $150.00.  Might have been on the Questile QP1 or the FiiO X5 2nd Gen.  HTH

You're not talking of microSD cards, are you? I guess what you bought are SD cards.

Why all this worrying over storage? Why can't people get used to just swapping out memory cards? It's almost easier, and cheaper to have a card for different genres, a 128 gig for Jazz, a 128 gig for EDM, a 64 gig for a less interested genre, etc. micro sd cards are so small and easy to swap. My son has the Nintendo 3ds and his case to hold the controller itself has spots to hold like 6-8 games, and they are 4-5 times bigger than micro sd.

I like to wildly mix genres in shuffle mode among my whole music collection, that's why I need at least 200 GB as of now. This just to give you a hint why a large memory is important to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back