FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,741 of 18,020
You should read the last few post and understand why the topic about storage is said to be a dead horse. Both sides already voice their sides and James already responded why there is only 1 slot. No need to keep repeating.

What? He just announced that two slots suddenly became one. An x7 now has less capacity than X5. How does this two minute old news become a dead horse? I read that announcement and voiced my disappointment. ONE time. If I kept at it for the next 200 posts, then, yes, it would be a waste of valuable forum real estate. Storage is obviously not a dead horse with x7 if 2 slots just got changed to one.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,742 of 18,020
I would like wifi to add my 3 tb 3.5 hd with portable battery. . . 

Anyway, I am using a 2 TB wifi hard drive right now. Fast to load to and I use it for a portable wifi to anything that accepts wifi. With Android that should be simple and they make some nice small portable wifi drives. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #1,743 of 18,020
Only 32 gig internal storage? One micro slot? Double the price over x5? Why is it so difficult to supply at least 128 GB internal storage like Sony zx1? I realize Sony has no micro slot so maybe that was the trade off? Is 32 to 128 internal a huge difference in space requirements? I am also getting tired of not being able to purchase a player that can store my entire collection. If my house burns down I am still scrambling for internal and external pc drives to save my collection. So 1998.

Getting tired of being forced to buy multiple very expensive micro sd cards, tired of switching cards out. Sd cost alone to store my 800 GB collection would be $1000 for 7 128 cards. Add to $800 cost of player and it's ridiculous. Storage costs more than high end player. How many years before our (not really large) collections can become portable and not tied to the PC, external drives, ugly usb sticks through Otg? 256 micro will be welcome but at least $400 when it debuts. Still need four cards at a cost of $1600.

The storage debate is over.  James said it, and our mod here said it.  This is a discussion about the X7 and now we know what kind of storage it will have.  

Your post contained a long discussion about storage and how difficult/expensive it is for you.  About how tired you are to be forced to....  Perhaps less a post and more of a...well, a rant.

My suggestion, and I stand by it, is for you to start a thread discussing your storage needs.  Clearly you have strong feelings about storage, so what better way to discuss them than in an appropriate thread with like-minded people.  Why do you feel that that is some sort of attack on you?  

No one "employed me" as a thread overseer, but I, too, am allowed to express my opinion and my opinion (and I'm not alone on this) is that, enough with the storage talk.  It's over.  Done.  If the X7 is now looking like it's not for you, then you are certainly free to make other consumer choices.  It's a free market.  For me, I can adjust to a single card player.  It's not the end of the world.  

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,744 of 18,020

At least his comment hits a point
tongue_smile.gif

Sigh..! 
cool.gif

Some of us audiophile DAP buyers (whatever our personal standpoints) have to try so hard to remain philosophical about so many DAPs being sequentially released, by multiple different vendors, yet repeatedly failing to overcome the shortcomings of the numerous DAPs that already came before.

In spite of the spirited debate that I've participated in, this past few pages, I assure you, I remain philosophical about it, and I do have a sense of humour about it all, and a sense of perspective that it's just a luxury toy and a 1st world 'problem' for those of us fortunate enough to be living in western society.

But dammit.... WHEN will a DAP maker finally take storage capacity seriously?!
biggrin.gif

Doesn't have to be every DAP.  Just one!

OK, so it won't be the X7.

So be it.

beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,745 of 18,020
What? He just announced that two slots suddenly became one. An x7 now has less capacity than X5. How does this two minute old news become a dead horse? I read that announcement and voiced my disappointment. ONE time. If I kept at it for the next 200 posts, then, yes, it would be a waste of valuable forum real estate. Storage is obviously not a dead horse with x7 if 2 slots just got changed to one.

No, storage is not but the discussion is. Please read the previous posts then try to understand before you react violently. Wifi is the feature that is anticipated in X7. It will take space. given X7 will be the same size as X5 then something has to give. If you don't care about wifi and 2 SD slots is no 1 in your list you don't need to wait that is what X5 is for.

X7 is not intended to replace X5. Unfortunately, not everything can be crammed yet in the size of X5/X7.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,746 of 18,020
  Ok, I have been trying to keep up with this. I see the latest post by James on the storage and no big deal with 128gb cards and 258gb coming up. What I am not sure about as I have seen it batted about is, will this be DSD? Again no deal breaker for me but I do have DSD. And is it single ended or will it have balanced output as in TRRS?

I asked James that, no answer yet.  The X5 plays DSD but down-converts to 24bit.  In a previous bunch of posts, it seemed that he was saying it will.  But no clear answer yet.  

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,747 of 18,020
  I would like wifi to add my 3 tb 3.5 hd with portable battery. . . 

Anyway, I am using a 2 TB wifi hard drive right now. Fast to load to and I use it for a portable wifi to anything that accepts wifi. With Android that should be simple and they make some nice small portable wifi drives. 

(this isn't in regards to the X7, which I now accept will not be the DAP for me, because of it's tiny storage). It's just a quick tangent question:

Do you use that wi-fi HDD with your DAP, in your pocket?

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #1,748 of 18,020
And maybe you can add external memory via an OTG cable or even an external DAC if you want to improve SQ?

the dac would have to depend on whatever digital input ,which I hope is optical instead of coax, just for sheer compability.

You shouldnt have to think about external dac on this kind of products though , there is a reason why we bought 700 dollar daps

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,749 of 18,020

Sigh..! 
cool.gif

Some of us audiophile DAP buyers (whatever our personal standpoints) have to try so hard to remain philosophical about so many DAPs being sequentially released, by multiple different vendors, yet repeatedly failing to overcome the shortcomings of the numerous DAPs that already came before.

In spite of the spirited debate that I've participated in, this past few pages, I assure you, I remain philosophical about it, and I do have a sense of humour about it all, and a sense of perspective that it's just a luxury toy and a 1st world 'problem' for those of us fortunate enough to be living in western society.

But dammit.... WHEN will a DAP maker finally take storage capacity seriously?!
biggrin.gif

Doesn't have to be every DAP.  Just one!

OK, so it won't be the X7.

So be it.

beerchug.gif

I agree it's not X7 yet. I am not against bigger storage just in case you don't know yet. But storage is a shortcoming that is easier to live by than the rest of the things that X7 is suppose to have. Wifi for example once, you omit it it's gone until the next product arrives.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,750 of 18,020

No, storage is not but the discussion is. Please read the previous posts then try to understand before you react violently. Wifi is the feature that is anticipated in X7. It will take space. given X7 will be the same size as X5 then something has to give. If you don't care about wifi and 2 SD slots is no 1 in your list you don't need to wait that is what X5 is for.

X7 is not intended to replace X5. Unfortunately, not everything can be crammed yet in the size of X5/X7.

Actually it's less about physical space - and more to do with the chipset limitations.  Quoting James:

cause the Soc has limited I/O pin,  so if we design 2 Micro SD card slot. the WiFi module will have to connect to the Soc by SPI mode which will consume more power.

Means that to get WIFI and keep battery life, have to cut down to a single Micro SD.  Sad - but at least those guys who are streaming will be happy.  And I guess 256 Gb cards might be out by the time the X7 debuts - so no harm for my own personal needs in the medium term.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,751 of 18,020
The way I see it you have an internal storage sitting at just 32gb (from James post) . Really, they should be cramming as much storage possible In there to make up the difference. Of course, this would run up the cost. I just don't see the point in letting the internal storage of a flagship sit at 32gb (and maybe 64 later) . If you can fill up the internal (best as possible) you're going to please a wider audience and keep your wifi.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,752 of 18,020

Actually it's less about physical space - and more to do with the chipset limitations.  Quoting James:

Means that to get WIFI and keep battery life, have to cut down to a single Micro SD.  Sad - but at least those guys who are streaming will be happy.  And I guess 256 Gb cards might be out by the time the X7 debuts - so no harm for my own personal needs in the medium term.

Dilemma indeed. In that case, yeah unless battery is removable, dropping the 2nd microSD slot is the best thing to do.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,753 of 18,020

This thread is about the X7 no? And James just announced that the X7 won't have 2 card slots (when many probably expected it to). I don't understand why it is not okay to discuss this, at least for a while, even if it won't change the X7. Also, I personally think that it would be to Fiio's advantage to read the reactions to that announcement.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,754 of 18,020
The storage debate is over.  James said it, and our mod here said it.  This is a discussion about the X7 and now we know what kind of storage it will have.  

Your post contained a long discussion about storage and how difficult/expensive it is for you.  About how tired you are to be forced to....  Perhaps less a post and more of a...well, a rant.

My suggestion, and I stand by it, is for you to start a thread discussing your storage needs.  Clearly you have strong feelings about storage, so what better way to discuss them than in an appropriate thread with like-minded people.  Why do you feel that that is some sort of attack on you?  

No one "employed me" as a thread overseer, but I, too, am allowed to express my opinion and my opinion (and I'm not alone on this) is that, enough with the storage talk.  It's over.  Done.  If the X7 is now looking like it's not for you, then you are certainly free to make other consumer choices.  It's a free market.  For me, I can adjust to a single card player.  It's not the end of the world.  

Nothing is over. Maybe you think it is. I'm a Fiio customer. My post started precisely for one reason: disappointment at hearing that a player I'm interested in now has even less storage than a previous player costing half as much. And then I add exactly why this change disappoints me. It's completely necessary to add these details or 'rants' as you like to call it, as to highlight a very good reason why I might not be buying Fiio in the summer. Fiio may lose my business to Sony, zx1 (or soon released zx2) precisely for the reason that zx1 at least includes 128 GB internal and already does android. What exactly is the pull to buy Fiio over Sony? i see nothing offered yet that makes this a superior player to Sony Zx1.

We all follow,the thread to see where development is going. I was about to sign up for first access to x7. Now I am not so sure. why? Because of even less storage capabilities than x5. Not a pleasant suprise. Seems the all in one player with sq, decent storage, streaming, is not going to happen anytime soon.

What is the point of tiny 32 gb storage in x7? Why even bother? You have to deal with cards regardless. What is cost of 32 GB? $8. That's all they could give the x7 on a $700 price point? People interested in expensive niche players like this likely have large collections of music. 32 GB is laughable. No one explains why it maxes out at 32. 10 year old iPod had 40 gigs internal, went as high as 160, in players less than half the size. Even my tiny Sony a10 has 64 gb.

Old dude, If you want to post a useful response, please tell us why Fiio maxes out at 32 GB internal, and why 128 internal is not possible in x7. I have asked this very valid question in my post and yet you didn't answer it, but only provided useless and provoking input in the form of asking me to start another thread. Not helpful. Not friendly. Post reported.

I am sure fiio would like to know why they lose or gain customers. Everyone says they listen to customers, so let me say what I think and stop playing censor. I already own fiio product and for $700, you can be damn sure I'm going to express disappointment when development takes a backwards turn. 32 gig internal and one slot is backwards thinking/progress for 2015, especially at this cost. This isn't a $25 sansa clip.

If a customer can't express their dissatisfaction at the current state of a product soon to be released, how else does the company learn what the customers want?

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,755 of 18,020
wifi over storage is poor choice esp those who want jump into audiophile terrain.now x7 has two disadvantages non replaceable battery and reduced storage but costly uncertain premium storage in a future date. conspiracy theory- may b james not disclosing everything to fuel x5 sales, voz it has suddently become unbeatable for 2015 as poor mans seductive dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back