FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Feb 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #946 of 1,895

All it says is that it left HK on the 27th. It was sent via Hong Kong Post (government service, I believe) as a registered parcel, so there is basically no tracking beyond HK (at least for Vietnam). Edit: tracking is available beyond HK for certain countries, but Vietnam is not one of them according to the website: http://app3.hongkongpost.hk/CGI/mt/enquiry.jsp

This does not bode well imo. I hope I'm wrong (I often am).

By post. That is the problem. That can take a lot longer than EMS or something like DHL or Fedex. The post can be a long process, in my experience. Although you aren't that far away. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #947 of 1,895
  By post. That is the problem. That can take a lot longer than EMS or something like DHL or Fedex. The post can be a long process, in my experience. 

I'm mostly worried about the lack of tracking beyond Hong Kong.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #948 of 1,895
Nothing is perfect or meet all requirement from users

Last two weeks I went to shop and compared between X3, AK120 and HM 901. When I insert my SD card to AK120 and power up, AK120 start to scan the card. I asked salesman whether I can disable the automatic scan or not. He said no. (Please correct me if i got wrong information)

Then,I know that AK120 is not a player for me. Because I always swap my three SD cards to listen on each music genre during the day, (thank god that X3 has a very quick startup). And AK120 is out of my interest forever, And I never complain about this.

That is very simple, find the one that suit your need.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #949 of 1,895
  Nothing is perfect or meet all requirement from users

Last two weeks I went to shop and compared between X3, AK120 and HM 901. When I insert my SD card to AK120 and power up, AK120 start to scan the card. I asked salesman whether I can disable the automatic scan or not. He said no. (Please correct me if i got wrong information)

Then,I know that AK120 is not a player for me. Because I always swap my three SD cards to listen on each music genre during the day, (thank god that X3 has a very quick startup). And AK120 is out of my interest forever, And I never complain about this.

That is very simple, find the one that suit your need.

I think your salesman was misinformed. You can control when the AK120 scans your card: Settings -> Advanced -> Auto Library Scan to turn scan off/on, and to perform a manual scan.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #950 of 1,895

All it says is that it left HK on the 27th. It was sent via Hong Kong Post (government service, I believe) as a registered parcel, so there is basically no tracking beyond HK (at least for Vietnam). Edit: tracking is available beyond HK for certain countries, but Vietnam is not one of them according to the website: http://app3.hongkongpost.hk/CGI/mt/enquiry.jsp

This does not bode well imo. I hope I'm wrong (I often am).

I wonder if that X5 was sent by surface mail? In Hong Kong, it's not allowed to post articles with lithium battery by air.
Just a thought.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #951 of 1,895
  I wonder if that X5 was sent by surface mail? In Hong Kong, it's not allowed to post articles with lithium battery by air.
Just a thought.

It should not have been sent by surface mail - that would be ridiculously slow. I don't know for certain if it's by air or surface. All I know is that it was sent as a registered parcel via Hong Kong Post. Edit: Whenever I get it, I promise to send it to the next person on the list after 5 days by EMS or another fast service, even if it costs me extra $. I hope this helps out a little bit...

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #952 of 1,895
I'll repeat my point - everyone is so excited about the player and its pros, that the cons are getting glossed over.   No offense - and no attack on you whatsoever - but if you look at your post above, it epitomizes what i am saying.

Let's recap:
1.  Gapless doesnt work properly right now - not for classical and yet everyone is giving them a pass saying it will get fixed soon.  
2.  Artist > Album > Track is not exactly an outlier method of accessing one's library.   It is very basic functionality which it doesnt do properly/reliably, and this is also getting a pass as "it will get fixed soon"

Forget what *will* happen and whether it is an easy fix or not.   It doesnt work right now.    

For one, if it is that easy a problem, how come they didnt get it right the first time, especially given that this is not their first player?  

And second, these arent new problems:  the X3 (and the DX50) have had these problems in the past and they still havent gotten it to work properly - both the DX50 and the X3 require deletion of most ID3 tags in order for the library function to work.     That isnt a fix on the manufacturer's side, that is a workaround on our side.   I now can no longer have Album Artist tags separate from Artist, I lose my Composer tag, I can no longer use a separate field to keep track of the orchestra.   Other people may not care about that, but I do.      So I dont share your confidence that it will get fixed easily unless we start shouting for it.

And contrary to how i may come across here, i am not hating on the product.   I've just had to spend a LOT of time getting both my DX50 and my X3 to catalog my music properly - and if a DAP cannot do that properly, then it has failed as a DAP.    I really would like to get an X5 - but only if the UI works properly, and I dont have to fight it every time i want to listen to some music.    

And it is a little frustrating to see how little pressure we, as consumers, are exerting on the manufacturer to Get It Right.

You missed the word "DELIBERATE".     The differences between various bits of source and amp equipment are smaller than the errors introduced by placebo and confirmation bias even for professional reviewers - i have no doubt that most people are posting what they THINK is the truth.    

In any case, my comments arent about the sound - i am sure it sounds really good.   My comments were about how we are glossing over the failings, instead of putting some pressure on the manufacturer to fix it.   The player should be judged and evaluated on the way it is RIGHT NOW - and right now, based on everything I am reading, it has a few glaring defects which need to be fixed.  IMO, anyway.

No X5 is not bug-free. And according to all the reviews I have read so far, X5 got marked down because of tagging, UI, and library management issues. Therefore I think it is utterly unfair to say that the reviewers just glossed over the issues.

I strongly believe James and his team will work hard to address this issue. And they deserve to be trusted, as I have never seen a company like Fiio who is so willing to listen to their (even potential) customers and to provide constant feedback. Meanwhile they do not adopt greedy marketing/pricing strategies like their rivals for relatively minor improvements. All the reviews I have read do far think very highly of X5's SQ, comparable or even surpassing other products which are 5, or even 8 times pricier.

Fiio had earned my respect, support, and I am willing to trust them to fix this issue.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #953 of 1,895

I think your salesman was misinformed. You can control when the AK120 scans your card: Settings -> Advanced -> Auto Library Scan to turn scan off/on, and to perform a manual scan.

That great. Thanks for information. So I can play file in browse mode as same as X3. That's a good news

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #954 of 1,895
Dear all previewers,

I have been asked to compile a list of bugs and wanted features on the X5. I hope we can make good use of the bug reporting platform here

https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/

Just open an account there and enter descriptions for bugs you've encountered or stuff you want to see implemented under "File a Bug". You can also see all the bugs that have been entered so far by clicking "My bugs" and vote for them (after you have registered and logged in)--but so far all the bugs entered are for the X3 only...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 10, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #955 of 1,895
I've added 2 for the X5 - 
  • Fixing gapless
  • Making the library (tagging) hierarchial - eg
    Genre / Artist / Album / Tracks
    Artist / Album / Tracks
    Album / Tracks

Joe - do you want to add another category (hardware) - ie where we can make suggestions for things that could be improved (ie SD slot covers, wheel being a little loose etc).  Currently categories only include:

Decoding and playback
Media library scanning
USB DAC
User Interface

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #957 of 1,895
Hmmm. So your opinion is ok and my opinion is ranting? Fanboi much?

Amazing. 64 pages of praising and everyone is cool with that, and a few people raise concerns and they get shouted down with cries off "it is all documented, we don't care to hear about it, move on". Let's rename this thread "x5 can do no wrong" and I'll ****.

its not about criticizing the x5.  You're stating that we're being to nice/lenient on the X5 and glossing over glaring problems.  That not an insult to the X5, its an insult to the reviewers.  You want the reviewers to bold and cap every fault?   Yes, we have stated every fault the player has that we've come across.  What we don't need is you telling us how to review.  

Might take a step back, calm down and re-read what people are trying to say.  We get that people should criticize the dap, and the reviewers are.  Have you even played with the X5?  

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #958 of 1,895
Wow  !!!

People really seem to get upset about stuff.  Hey it really is just stuff.

Can some of you guys please take a chill pill.  (In Australia we "have a BEX and a good lie down !")

Now please all ...  back to what this forum is about,  preview of the X5.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #960 of 1,895
I am just amaze to see how one rotten apple can do to a basket full of healthy ones. P.S. Block Member works!
biggrin.gif

Back on track, the thread is about the following "FiiO X5 preview world tour--first arrivals on page 19, first impressions rolling in! - Page 64" So that is what it is all about, an amazing tour with the ability to test the gear before it is released globally and to review it.

Thanks Joe for the bugzilla site, I am for sure going to use it to report any of the bugs and some functionality that I think is missing (I am hoping I can do that). I agree with Brooko about his suggestion, hardware is a very important part of the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back