FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #331 of 1,895
  Very intuitive, if you are an ex iPod Classic user, you'll pick it up pretty quickly. The bottom right and left buttons are for navigating songs forward and backward and fast forward/fast rewind. The center button is for selection and play pause plus volume display. The top right button is for screen backward action (one click get you one menu level backward, press and hold get you back to the main menu). The top left button is for shortcuts and main menu. It will take you literally few minutes to get the hang of it.

So if you have the X5 in your pocket, the bottom right and left buttons plus center buttons are the only ones you need to worry about.

Which button accesses the internet, and which one allows me to dial a pizza? (*with a bag of chips, sauce, and a beer)

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #332 of 1,895

Which button accesses the internet, and which one allows me to dial a pizza? (*with a bag of chips, sauce, and a beer)

Leave that to your wireless phone to do.
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #337 of 1,895
How is the player when it comes to recognizing music in a 64GB card?    Also, does it have the ability to sort by composer and/or album artist (as opposed to just artist)?  

I had to go through and get rid of a lot of useful tags (esp composer and album artist) to get my X3 to recognize the music on the SD card and I aint going to do that again.    Also, when scrolling through a list of albums, do you get just the name or the thumbnail as well?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #338 of 1,895

Yayyyy more pics! LOL :wink:

Fight!
X3, AK100 MK2, X5

Hopefully I will have time to compare them.
The X5 will run THE SAME two 64gb microSD cards I use with the AK100.
The AK100 will run a 32gb microSD.
The X3 will run a 32gb microSD.
All will have the same test songs (FLAC 16/44, FLAC 24/96, and MP3s)

Hopefully the X5 will kick both of these arses!!! :wink:

Check.

Jan 18, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #339 of 1,895
  How about the intuitiveness of the controls?  Is it easy to control the X5 while not looking at the buttons?  Are the control buttons in logical, intuitive places, or are the controls counter-intuitive like the X3? 

It's quite easy to use IMO. I really don't have any complaints about the UI so far. It just works. The player hasn't hanged on me yet. Start up is pretty fast as is shutting it down. The UI looks polished and simply works. I'm not sure if playlist support works but that would be a huge plus for me. What is really surprising is this thing reads tags on wav files :wink:... I'm sold.
  A serious question, very important basic feature for me:

Does X5 support true gapless playback in folder view playing mode? If someone can test and tell me the answer, I would be so happy.

To my knowlege it does support gapless. I'll play around with it more and report back. It also has a low and high gain switch (in the UI) which is pretty cool. Sounds great on low gain to me.
it is sad that dsd decoding is not working currently. indeed x5 is better than my x3 , in term of ui, sound signature.

I have to agree. Then again I wonder how they are decoding DSD. If it is native and done on the chip this should be quite wonderful. Even with processing it would sound good but I think native processing would take it to another level...

Fight!
X3, AK100 MK2, X5

Hopefully I will have time to compare them.
The X5 will run THE SAME two 64gb microSD cards I use with the AK100.
The AK100 will run a 32gb microSD.
The X3 will run a 32gb microSD.
All will have the same test songs (FLAC 16/44, FLAC 24/96, and MP3s)

Hopefully the X5 will kick both of these arses!!! :wink:

Check.

X5 Wins, Flawless Victory, Fatality! :wink:....

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #342 of 1,895
@lee, how does it sound compared to the Ibasso DX50?

Sorry, I never bothered with the DX50. I didn't feel the DX50 was going to be an upgrade over my 3rd ANV nor Rocoo BA. Two people who I trust quite a bit, had both units or all 3 and felt the Hisound units are superior.

@lee, how does it sound with SE5way? 
biggrin.gif

Darn you, you are taking away precious moment on the Flat 4 :wink:... I'll try it out now.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #343 of 1,895

I'm not sure if playlist support works but that would be a huge plus for me. What is really surprising is this thing reads tags on wav files :wink:... I'm sold.

Does the X5 allow creation of a playlist using the DAP itself?

If it does allow it, then is it just one playlist (which is a limitation of the Cowon J3), or can there be multiple playlists, just like on an iPod Classic?

Cheers.

Jan 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #345 of 1,895

Does the X5 allow creation of a playlist using the DAP itself?

If it does allow it, then is it just one playlist (which is a limitation of the Cowon J3), or can there be multiple playlists, just like on an iPod Classic?

Cheers.

It doesn't look like they have playlist support :frowning2:. I hope fiio can add this as it would make this player perfect for me. I'm a control freak and like to have all my music organized how I want it :).

Anyways, you can view your music via folder view, album, artist, favorites (add favorites to your list first), genre & all music. Even with WAV it recognizes the tags and allows for this. They all work. This is excellent. 

In System Settings you can manually update the library (scan). I'm not sure if this can be changed to auto although I prefer to manually do it anyways. There is a key lock setting which gives you two options Option 1 disables the buttons on the DAP so you can't switch tracks or adjust volume while the screen is off. With option 2 it gives you that ability. Sweet! You can also adjust the screen time out, idle power and sleep mode. You also have a USB mode feature which can be switched from either storage or DAC. Under this menu you also have info about the X5, the ability to format either SD slot, and you can do a factory restore.

Under Play Settings you have Play Mode which allows you to play songs @ random, repeat, Play all, and there is one more function but I'm not sure what that play mode is... You also have gapless playback under this menu which can be enabled or disabled. You can also adjust the max volume, and a fixed volume setting. There is also a Power on Volume settings (will start the unit at a specific volume @ your choice). Lastly there is a Low and High gain setting and balance :). With balance you can adjust how loud the left channel or right channels are if you have hearing loss. Very sweet. Lots of customizations available on this UI. :).

@ amber I think the SE5 sounds quite good on X5. I'm not sure if I'd still give the Rocoo BA the nod still in terms of synergy though. I'll have to compare both and I'll let you know which I prefer in terms of pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back