Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 25, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #8,191 of 15,899

I has this issue on my main Win10 PC at home, it worked via the Intel chipset USB ports but not via the Asmedia chipset USB ports, both the X5 i & ii worked fine on both.
Was fine on my work Win10 PC, again with Intel chipset USB ports.

I've seen similar issues with a few USB devices in the past, even on different gens of Intel chipsets. Laptops often only have a single chipset driving all the ports so it either works or not. A bridge may help but again depends on compatibility.

Hi, I have just checked Device Manager and confirmed it with Aida Extreme, I have;

Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0
USBXHCI.SYS.

I am completely baffled by this as because like you, my older Fiio works fine.

As others say their X5 3rd Gen's are connecting and functioning, could mine actually be defective even though it appears to be working?

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #8,192 of 15,899

Hi, I have just checked Device Manager and confirmed it with Aida Extreme, I have;

USBXHCI.SYS.

As others say their X5 3rd Gen's are connecting and functioning, could mine actually be defective even though it appears to be working?

The hardware in the X5iii is probably completely different due to the Android OS I imagine, I've got no other Android devices so it could be  something Android related. Could be the gen of Intel chip, driver versions, OS versions, power levels etc. I'd try the X5 on a few other computers just to be sure or see if someone local has one you can swap over and see if they work on each others machine.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #8,193 of 15,899

USBXHCI.SYS.

IIRC the driver supplied for the X5iii is third party and used for other Android-based devices too. Remember that that driver has to be interoperable with the USB driver. It should be noted that I can't use any FiiO DAP on Intel USB Controllers under Linux/Ubuntu. It's a fairly long running issue (and likely quite separate from this one) that only affects Linux users of FiiO DAPs. It goes to show how complex USB audio is.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #8,194 of 15,899
I have some strange issues @FiiO

1) whenever I let my device on idle for long, and restart it , it goes a particular song. The song is beautiful but it is one song it always restarts from.  I have tried thinking what could be the reason but I have no idea
2) There is an audible "click" when i move from one song to other (24bit Flacs)
3) This one too is bit odd,  Fiio's randomiser or shuffle seems to have a set pattern.  I have two micro SD cards 128gb each, full almost to the brim. However, Shuffle seems to be following a "route" like I can now tell what song will come next.

On a good note,  I have rediscovered my love for Offspring and Motley Crue, they sound soooooo good.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #8,195 of 15,899

The hardware in the X5iii is probably completely different due to the Android OS I imagine, I've got no other Android devices so it could be  something Android related. Could be the gen of Intel chip, driver versions, OS versions, power levels etc. I'd try the X5 on a few other computers just to be sure or see if someone local has one you can swap over and see if they work on each others machine.

I don't believe it is Android issue as my Phone is runnng Android 5 Lollipop and my Tablet is running Android 6 Marshmallow and both function on my USB 3.0 ports.

Saying that, Fiio say that they use a highly 'Modded' version of Android, so possibly Fiio have messed something up with their modifications.

I have tried the X5 3rd Gen on older laptops with USB 2.0 ports and it works fine. 

Other people are having the same problem as me and it appears to be that the X5 5 3rd Gen is not compatible with the latest generation of USB 3.0 ports on recent laptops.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #8,196 of 15,899
IIRC the driver supplied for the X5iii is third party and used for other Android-based devices too. Remember that that driver has to be interoperable with the USB driver. It should be noted that I can't use any FiiO DAP on Intel USB Controllers under Linux/Ubuntu. It's a fairly long running issue (and likely quite separate from this one) that only affects Linux users of FiiO DAPs. It goes to show how complex USB audio is.

Fortunately for me though not for everyone, I found that my Fiio X5 3rd Gen connects to my laptop via a USB C adapter.

I have decided to buy a dedicated USB to USB C cable rather than carrying an adapter with me so I will update everyone when it arrives.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #8,198 of 15,899
  @ FiiO

Dear FiiO,

Started testing as DAC. On my computer playing 32/384 file, FiiO control panel showing 44100Hz. The same with 24/192 96 files.

It means that in DAC mode FiiO X5 III it is down-sampling to 16/44,1, right?

no it means your computer is sending a downsampled stream to the X5 DAC, what OS ? what software are you using ? 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #8,199 of 15,899
  @ FiiO

Dear FiiO,

Started testing as DAC. On my computer playing 32/384 file, FiiO control panel showing 44100Hz. The same with 24/192 96 files.

It means that in DAC mode FiiO X5 III it is down-sampling to 16/44,1, right?

it is an display issues. sorry the driver and the control panel is developed by other company and we paid the cost. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 25, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #8,203 of 15,899

Fortunately for me though not for everyone, I found that my Fiio X5 3rd Gen connects to my laptop via a USB C adapter.

I have decided to buy a dedicated USB to USB C cable rather than carrying an adapter with me so I will update everyone when it arrives.

I have just tried the above "USB A to USB C" adapter that sits on the supplied Fiio cable and my Fiio connects perfectly and transfers perfectly on my computer. 

I believe this is definiately a Fiio conflict with USB 3.0 as everything else has now been tried and ruled out.

Apr 25, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #8,204 of 15,899

USBXHCI.SYS.

No offense, but you are taking logic shortcuts to rule out causes.

Power draw: Did you only check your port or did you check WHILE the device is plugged in? A USB port can seem fine, but it's during connection that the power draw issue would occur...

Compatibility: USB controllers can have incompatibilities due to drivers or hardware

Software: Android isn't just an OS, it's also a kernel with drivers... There's also the OS layer which is used to send the protocol used to transfer info to and from the device.

I also have an Intel USB 3 chipset which is working fine with this, so must just be a specific model...

Overall, this issue will most likely not be solved by us. Fiio has to voice in on this... I'm glad you have a workaround, but not all of us have that luxury.

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #8,205 of 15,899
has anyone been getting weird crashes on Fiio Android default music app. Once in a rare while when I close the app, and reopen the Fiio music app hours later I will get a app crash when I load up my library on SD card.

My Fiio music wont even start, it loads with a black screen and then says 'sorry an exception occurs' It does this in Android and when I also switch to pure music. I've twice deleted the cache, data, album art, removed database, then it starts with the 'tuition walkthrough' I scan for music, then at the end of the scan process it just freezes again and I can't start it. I've pretty much given up on this app and using third party apps now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back