Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #8,176 of 15,899

I'm considering buying the X5 3rd gen and have a huge library a well. Was your problem resolved?  Shuffling all songs in my library is also super important for me.  I have the X1 2nd gen right now and it chokes when trying to shuffle the 27,000 songs I have on the 256gb card.

the X5-III can do it very slowly with the fiio player, but other apps like the Onkyo do it with no problem.

I have had no problems with 30K songs. Shuffle works quickly and reliably with the Fiio app. I have a mix of MP3, Flac (16 and 24 bit , 44.1 to 128 K,)plus some DSD

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #8,177 of 15,899
I have had no problems with 30K songs. Shuffle works quickly and reliably with the Fiio app. I have a mix of MP3, Flac (16 and 24 bit , 44.1 to 128 K,)plus some DSD

Same here, MP3s, AACs, Flac, ALAC, DSD, WAV, very "high resolution" all of them, aprox 30K, no issues scanning. 60k is double, so not very sure about that.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #8,178 of 15,899
My stop working yesterday,

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #8,180 of 15,899

It's clearly a USB 3 port issue... It works on my job's USB port as long as it's the powered port, it works on my intel NUC and it works on my Raspi... But not on my 2k$ surface book. :p

What I don't know is whether it is a hardware / engineering fault in the X5III or Software related.

Fiio did not not answer this question, the crazy thing is that my older X5II does not have this USB 3.0 conflict.

There is no hardware engineering fault from where i am looking at it. I have an assembled PC with a gigabyte board Z97 chipset. The X5 III works flawlessly as a DAC on either USB 3 or 2 ports. I did uninstall all fiio related drivers before i fresh installed the USB DAC driver for Win 10. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #8,181 of 15,899
There is no hardware engineering fault from where i am looking at it. I have an assembled PC with a gigabyte board Z97 chipset. The X5 III works flawlessly as a DAC on either USB 3 or 2 ports. I did uninstall all fiio related drivers before i fresh installed the USB DAC driver for Win 10. Just my 2 cents.

It's either a power draw issue, a chip incompatibility issue or a software driver issue. All three can be on the Fiio or the computer you're using. Now we need help from FiiO or our laptop manufacturers to figure it out. Problem is that when things like this happen and no fix is available, some people take drastic measures, like selling one of the two. I fear that Fiio might dissapear compared to a laptop worth 4x its price... :/

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #8,182 of 15,899

It's either a power draw issue, a chip incompatibility issue or a software driver issue. All three can be on the Fiio or the computer you're using. Now we need help from @FiiO or our laptop manufacturers to figure it out. Problem is that when things like this happen and no fix is available, some people take drastic measures, like selling one of the two. I fear that Fiio might dissapear compared to a laptop worth 4x its price... :/

It would be a pity to let go of the X5 III. Wish you luck with the usb ports mate.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #8,186 of 15,899
Yeah, not my goal to get rid of it just yet. Thanks! I hope it works out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had problem with DAC on my first (faulty) X5 III. Got replacement, working fine - even not changed (reloaded) anything on my laptop. Try to find somebody with another X5 III and give a try - working or not. If another device working - just go for replacement.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #8,187 of 15,899
Aye! We in the same boat! It doesn't work on my laptop 3.0 port. But it works on 2.0 ports.

That annoying disconnect reconnect. Unmount remount sound ugh.

Dear JaeYoon,

The X5 is a USB 2.0 device and is compatible with all USB ports backwards compatible with USB2.0, including USB3.0 and USB-C, the latter via suitable adapter cables. But it may related to the equipment of your PC.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 25, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #8,189 of 15,899
It's either a power draw issue, a chip incompatibility issue or a software driver issue. All three can be on the Fiio or the computer you're using. Now we need help from @FiiO or our laptop manufacturers to figure it out. Problem is that when things like this happen and no fix is available, some people take drastic measures, like selling one of the two. I fear that Fiio might dissapear compared to a laptop worth 4x its price... :/

Dear JaeYoon,

The X5 is a USB 2.0 device and is compatible with all USB ports backwards compatible with USB2.0, including USB3.0 and USB-C, the latter via suitable adapter cables. But it may related to the equipment of your PC.

Best regards

@Karendar

It's either a power draw issue

I purchased a USB multimeter to test my ports, both USB 3.0 ports are delivering sufficient voltage and current.

a chip incompatibility issue

I was thinking this at first, but as we are running different brands and ages of laptops, aren't the chipsets likely to differ?

software driver issue

The fact that;

1. Others with Win 10 + USB 3.0 say they are not having problems

2. My Fiio X5 3rd Gen functions on my single USB C port

3. Everything else including my older X5 2nd Gen functions on my USB 3.0 ports

I believe that the fault must specifically lie within the Fiio X5 3rd Gen. 

@Fiio

The X5 is a USB 2.0 device and is compatible with all USB ports backwards compatible with USB2.0

In theory, but as you can see and must accept, users with differing laptops are having the same issue in that their Fiio X5 3rd Gen will not connect to their USB 3.0 ports.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #8,190 of 15,899

@Karendar

It's either a power draw issue

I purchased a USB multimeter to test my ports, both USB 3.0 ports are delivering sufficient voltage and current.

a chip incompatibility issue

I was thinking this at first, but as we are running different brands and ages of laptops, aren't the chipsets likely to differ?

software driver issue

The fact that;

1. Others with Win 10 + USB 3.0 say they are not having problems

2. My Fiio X5 3rd Gen functions on my single USB C port

3. Everything else including my older X5 2nd Gen functions on my USB 3.0 ports

I believe that the fault must specifically lie within the Fiio X5 3rd Gen. 

@Fiio

The X5 is a USB 2.0 device and is compatible with all USB ports backwards compatible with USB2.0

In theory, but as you can see and must accept, users with differing laptops are having the same issue in that their Fiio X5 3rd Gen will not connect to their USB 3.0 ports.

I has this issue on my main Win10 PC at home, it worked via the Intel chipset USB ports but not via the Asmedia chipset USB ports, both the X5 i & ii worked fine on both.
Was fine on my work Win10 PC, again with Intel chipset USB ports.

I've seen similar issues with a few USB devices in the past, even on different gens of Intel chipsets. Laptops often only have a single chipset driving all the ports so it either works or not. A bridge may help but again depends on compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back