FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #991 of 7,088
  I'll take the X5 SG over the X5 and X3 SG any time
cool.gif

I am also lookinf forward for comparations. 

I do understand that you have received a free sample, you are somewhat limited to not express things carelessly, and you want to be as fair as possible. I also understand that if you are to express opinions, you must do so using only kind words, this is how this works like. It is normal. But some of us really need some advice. Like, I really need to know if I should sell my X5 and try to buy x5II. So I really need to know how are they compared one to another.

I also am using e12a with my x5 all the time as of now, because the sound is better to my taste, so I really want to know how x5II compares to x5 when used as a DAC, and how x5II compares to x5 + e12a. IF I could not carry a stack, it would be something, but I am not that much in a hurry to get rid of the stack as much as I want to know where the differences are.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #992 of 7,088

I do understand that you have received a free sample, you are somewhat limited to not express things carelessly, and you want to be as fair as possible. I also understand that if you are to express opinions, you must do so using only kind words, this is how this works like. It is normal. But some of us really need some advice. Like, I really need to know if I should sell my X5 and try to buy x5II. So I really need to know how are they compared one to another.

I also am using e12a with my x5 all the time as of now, because the sound is better to my taste, so I really want to know how x5II compares to x5 when used as a DAC, and how x5II compares to x5 + e12a. IF I could not carry a stack, it would be something, but I am not that much in a hurry to get rid of the stack as much as I want to know where the differences are.

the difference of the LO is quite small so you don't need to replace your X5 . just save your  money at something else. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #993 of 7,088
Alright! Big thanks to the local organisor Eng Siang for accomodating my somewhat rigid schedule. Guess I'm on after all! 4 day demo or no i really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #995 of 7,088

I'll take the X5 SG over the X5 and X3 SG any time
cool.gif

Good to hear you say that, tell us more, any opinions on the X5ii so far have been very few and sketchy?????????

I should have my X5ii review unit toward the end of the week, then you will have a more detailed comparison to my other X1/X3ii/X5 without beating around the bush.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #996 of 7,088

the difference of the LO is quite small so you don't need to replace your X5 . just save your  money at something else. 

from Loquah's review (Old X5)
[size=20.0069999694824px]
The Line-Out in Detail[/size]
It’s a few days since I posted this review and I’m revisiting it to add a quick comment on the line-out of the X5. The line-out is an unamplified 1.5V output designed to run straight to an external amp so it bypasses the X5’s internal amplifier and gives your external portable or desktop amp a straight shot to the X5’s DAC.

The reason I wanted to come back and add this is because the line-out deserves special attention for incredible performance. I used it one evening to quickly audition a Burson Soloist amp which I was borrowing from a friend. The sound from the setup was so good with “just the X5″ that I had to see how good it would get with the much more expensive DAC only Matrix X-Sabre that I use in my office. Switching to the X-Sabre I was shocked to hear almost no improvement!!

Now, in subsequent, more thorough comparisons I can say that the X5 is not quite as good a DAC / source as the X-Sabre, but we’re comparing a $400 device that’s a portable player, amp, database and DAC to a dedicated DAC worth $1200-1300. The X-Sabre has a slight edge in resolution and refinement, but it’s not an $800 edge which is to say that the X5 performs so much higher than its price.

The X5 line-out has a nice authority in the bass without adding significant “colour” the sound and is easily on par with other dedicated desktop DACs (and DAC/amp combos) I have heard up to about the $600 mark. This is incredible performance for a compact, portable device in the price range of the X5 so I simply had to come back and give that fact the airtime it deserves!

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #997 of 7,088

i thought there was an sacd iso function on the x5ii, just as there is on the x3ii.  Fiio own data,  http://m.fiio.net/en/products/41/comparisons makes no mention of it, their mistake i reckon.

I tested ISO files on the X3 Gen 2.  Some must have been corrupt and did not work, others were fine.  The thing is; most ISO files have extra information including but not limited to 5.1 mixes.  So they tend to be large.  I have used various utilities to extract the DSD files instead.  Still large but not huge.

I had intended to test an ISO file on the X5 Gen 2; but ran into meaningful issues with my OTG stick and decided to move on to other tests.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #998 of 7,088

smily_headphones1.gif
Ok. So has anyone as of Yet directly Reviewed and A/B'd the X3ii to the X5ii? From what I've read, I'm still favoring the X3ii especially on a price point v.s. performance scale, until someone changes my mind.

My mind, (what's left of it), is a terrible thing to waste.
rolleyes.gif

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

To me that is probably one of the two most important questions about this unit.   The other is whether the power output of the X5 Gen 2 is "enough" for one's needs or whether the step up in power relative to the X3 Gen 2 is going to provide a meaningful benefit.  Or whether an external amp is still needed in certain cases.

I do not yet have a crisp answer on the sound quality question and am grappling with that for my upcoming review.  There is little doubt that the sound is a bit more refined on the X5 Gen 2 relative to the X3 Gen 2.  But I also find this difference to be subtle not huge.  I find that the sound difference fades from "memory" once one starts listening to the music and forgets that a test is under way.  For a given level of quality, I find that happens all the time.  Instead, I just start listening to the music instead of playing reviewer.

In general what I look for beyond a certain quality level is "listenability" over an extended period of time.  I find the original X3, the X3 Gen 2, and the X5 Gen 2 all pass that test quite nicely.  Unlike many others here, the X1 did not fare as well for my tastes in this particular test and I sold it to purchase the X3 Gen 2.  But on this topic personal mileage is sure to vary.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #999 of 7,088
  from Loquah's review (Old X5)
[size=20.0069999694824px]
The Line-Out in Detail[/size]
It’s a few days since I posted this review and I’m revisiting it to add a quick comment on the line-out of the X5. The line-out is an unamplified 1.5V output designed to run straight to an external amp so it bypasses the X5’s internal amplifier and gives your external portable or desktop amp a straight shot to the X5’s DAC.

The reason I wanted to come back and add this is because the line-out deserves special attention for incredible performance. I used it one evening to quickly audition a Burson Soloist amp which I was borrowing from a friend. The sound from the setup was so good with “just the X5″ that I had to see how good it would get with the much more expensive DAC only Matrix X-Sabre that I use in my office. Switching to the X-Sabre I was shocked to hear almost no improvement!!

Now, in subsequent, more thorough comparisons I can say that the X5 is not quite as good a DAC / source as the X-Sabre, but we’re comparing a $400 device that’s a portable player, amp, database and DAC to a dedicated DAC worth $1200-1300. The X-Sabre has a slight edge in resolution and refinement, but it’s not an $800 edge which is to say that the X5 performs so much higher than its price.

The X5 line-out has a nice authority in the bass without adding significant “colour” the sound and is easily on par with other dedicated desktop DACs (and DAC/amp combos) I have heard up to about the $600 mark. This is incredible performance for a compact, portable device in the price range of the X5 so I simply had to come back and give that fact the airtime it deserves!

Thanks a lot for this mention. 

I already considered that the line out of x5 is on par with much more expensive ones. In fact, X5 is still my first choice in the <2000$ price range for using it as a DAC.

I am just a little curious on how do I reason for myself buying the x5II. I want to buy it even if it is for the ergonomic reasons, I walk a lot with my x5 + e12a, and the only complaint I would have is that it happens quite often for me to press without wanting a forward or backward button. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,000 of 7,088

I should have my X5ii review unit toward the end of the week, then you will have a more detailed comparison to my other X1/X3ii/X5 without beating around the bush.

Yes guys I reckon we are all looking forward to reading Twisters opinion on the new X5ii.

So far I am getting the vibe that those who already like the X5  will like the X5ii but I am hoping that those including myself who did not like the sound of the old X5 even when paired with the Fiio E12A will like the new X5ii but so far reading between the lines (so much silence so far) that I reckon I wont like the new X5 either?

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #1,001 of 7,088

Yes guys I reckon we are all looking forward to reading Twisters opinion on the new X5ii.

So far I am getting the vibe that those who already like the X5  will like the X5ii but I am hoping that those including myself who did not like the sound of the old X5 even when paired with the Fiio E12A will like the new X5ii but so far reading between the lines (so much silence so far) that I reckon I wont like the new X5 either?

You can look at the sound sig of the DAP as a combo of DAC + Amp.  Your HO output comes from an Amp, your LO output comes from a DAC.  If you don't like HO sound, use LO and patch in your own external portable or desktop amp.  X5ii has an updated Amp section so HO sound *should* be better in comparison to HO of X5 - advantage of that, you don't need to stack up an external amp to bulk up your portable pocket-friendly setup.  It's hard to tell if X5ii upgrade is a must have or not, especially if you have your X5 with external amp that adds some coloring which you prefer.  People don't realize, amps are not just to drive high impedance cans but also to shape the sound, with E12DIY been a good example of a design with a socketed OpAmp to change sound signature, or why we are seeing some new portable Class A amp or portable tube amps.  But anyway, in my comparison, I will definitely use E12A to compare LO of both X5 and X5ii.

Another thing to keep in mind, it's not just a sound but interface/usability that has to be considered if/when you upgrading.  As I mentioned in my X3ii review, FiiO came a long way since introduction of mechanical scroll wheel on X5 (and I had one of the early review samples), going to X1 and then X3ii.  IMHO, control and usability of the wheel from X5 to X3ii when up significantly and if it stays like this with X5ii (or even improves a bit) - that's a huge plus in my book.  Also, you have a slimmer design and power saving deep sleep feature carried over from X3ii which I absolutely love!!!

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,002 of 7,088
As it so quiet on this thread over the last few days, I thought I would give Fiio some feedback from my experience with the old X5 (from a previous post)

I had the X5 and I found it not as musical as I expected. I find that the X5 is lacking a little body and bass and there seems to be an odd irritating emphases on the upper mids which I also don't find natural.

I find the X5 has an in your face (up your nostrils type of forward presentation, LOL) that you either love or hate.

I also had the new Fiio E12A and I prefer the sound of the X1 line out paired with E12A (portable Amp) compared to the X5 on its own and also compared with the  X5 + E12A pairing as I found the X1 pairing sounded more natural to me.

I have read that I am not alone in my view.

Still love Fiio though, no hard feelings, only my opinion!

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,003 of 7,088
Yes. If I didn't already own an X5, I think I would be more tempted by the X3ii than the X5ii, whereas the opposite was the case for the original models.

Why?

:) Yes. I currently have both the X1 and X5 original, and for most general listening I actually prefer the Warmer X1 with an amp.

:cool: :cool: TWIN

If you prefer the warmer X1 over the more neutral original X5, then I think you're going to prefer X3ii. To my ears, X5 is [Bi]slightly[/I] warmer than the X5ii.

Is it that much of a difference? Not to me, but I'm sure others will say it makes a meaningful difference for their ears and listening setup.

What would make me choose the X5ii over the original X5? Simply put - physical and on screen user interface / interaction improvements and smaller size. I don't have any cans that can't be driven well-enough for portable use with either X5, so additional driving power isn't such a big deal for my use case.

Did you put your name in for the X5 review tour, TWIN? If not, why don't you PM Joe and see if you can get added on. That way you can audition the new X5 against your other DAPs and see what you think.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,005 of 7,088
Originally Posted by Dobrescu George /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do have a free sample. I also have a personal letter from Fiio asking me to be very honest, Fiio insists in that. If you read my Fiio DAP reviews you will see I never was a big fan, there's no secret to that.
Saying I need to use kind words is aying I don't give objective info, that's offensive to me but I get your point. The reason I'm not answering a lot of questions is because they will be answered in my and Brooko's review on Headfonia, not on Headfi.

Good to hear you say that, tell us more, any opinions on the X5ii so far have been very few and sketchy?????????

In my opinion the X5SG is the best DAP Fiio has made, it's that simple. Up till now they to me could never touch the DX90, the new DAP gets very close but because of the UI and no touch screen, to me the X5ii still doesn't equal the DX90 but sound wise it's the best Fiio.

I will be very clear on HFN :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back