FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,006 of 7,088
twister6 makes some very good points in the post above. While you shouldn't expect a night and day difference vs. original X5 as far as sound signature goes, there are subtle differences that might lead you to prefer one over the other. And again, I use the word subtle because to my ears and with my setup, there's no earth shattering difference. Of course, YMMV :wink_face:

And as twister6 points out, usability is very important in a portable device that might just be shoved in your pocket. As far as on the go usability over original X5, the X5ii wins hands down. Smaller recessed front buttons mean fewer mis-presses, dot on volume up button gives clear indication which button you're pressing, instant on feature means less wait time until you get to your music after that annoying coworker bugs you, the flush screen means less chance of scratching, smaller footprint means increased pocketability...

I'm sure I could think of more user interaction positives, but I'm sure you get the point :L3000:

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,008 of 7,088
As opposed to @Ultrainferno, I prefer both X5s to DX90 sonically and feature-wise. If you look over the X5 and DX90 threads, you'll see I'm not alone. I just point this out because as with any of our gear, choosing a DAP is personal and what we find better is subjective.

It sure is, it would be boring if we all had the same taste wouldn't it :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,010 of 7,088

I tested ISO files on the X3 Gen 2.  Some must have been corrupt and did not work, others were fine.  The thing is; most ISO files have extra information including but not limited to 5.1 mixes.  So they tend to be large.  I have used various utilities to extract the DSD files instead.  Still large but not huge.

I had intended to test an ISO file on the X5 Gen 2; but ran into meaningful issues with my OTG stick and decided to move on to other tests.

If an ISO contains a 5.1 mix everything will be compressed as DST and unreadable by the X5ii. It will only read uncompressed DSD, whether from dff or dsf files or from iso.

I think that X3ii hits that magic value for money spot better than the X5ii. There was a much bigger difference from X3 to X3ii than X5 to X5ii.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,011 of 7,088
As it so quiet on this thread over the last few days, I thought I would give Fiio some feedback from my experience with the old X5 (from a previous post)

I had the X5 and I found it not as musical as I expected. I find that the X5 is lacking a little body and bass and there seems to be an odd irritating emphases on the upper mids which I also don't find natural.

I had been grappling with a similar observation on the upper midrange on the new unit. I am coming around to the thought that because I have been in critical listening mode I have become more sensitive to album mixing. Certain vocal driven albums from the mid seventies just seem to have that upper mid emphasis. Thinking rod Stewart in particular

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,012 of 7,088

I do have a free sample. I also have a personal letter from Fiio asking me to be very honest, Fiio insists in that. If you read my Fiio DAP reviews you will see I never was a big fan, there's no secret to that.
Saying I need to use kind words is aying I don't give objective info, that's offensive to me but I get your point. The reason I'm not answering a lot of questions is because they will be answered in my and Brooko's review on Headfonia, not on Headfi.

In my opinion the X5SG is the best DAP Fiio has made, it's that simple. Up till now they to me could never touch the DX90, the new DAP gets very close but because of the UI and no touch screen, to me the X5ii still doesn't equal the DX90 but sound wise it's the best Fiio.

I will be very clear on HFN :wink:

I also understand this part, where you have to remain as clear and not biased. 

For example, you have to put yourself in the place of the customer who wants to buy a DAP. As a man in the market for a DAP I have to consider everything, with every characteristic, from price, UI, SQ. features, and everything. This is why it is important to have nice words. By this, I mean, try to use as neutral words as possible. 

Let me give an example, that does not apply here. Saying about a headphone that it has smooth treble, and it lacks treble is the same thing, but phrased differently. Saying the worse thing is not necessarly falser or truer than the good, but you do not have to have something about a certain taste, there are so many people who love hd650 for their smooth and laid back presentation, including me, but there are also people who love bright with lots of treble headphones, like hd800, including me
biggrin.gif

It is trying to write a subjective impression, but trying to put it in a objective perspective, using objective expressions, and trying to not use your subjective feelings, but see the image through an objective eye.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,013 of 7,088

As opposed to @Ultrainferno, I prefer both X5s to DX90 sonically and feature-wise. If you look over the X5 and DX90 threads, you'll see I'm not alone. I just point this out because as with any of our gear, choosing a DAP is personal and what we find better is subjective.

It sure is, it would be boring if we all had the same taste wouldn't it :)

Absolutely mate!  Plus, since you are Headfonia reviewer (Lieven, rigth?), you don't want to spill all the beans on head-fi, just give a teaser so people would read your official review article on HFN
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,014 of 7,088
I had been grappling with a similar observation on the upper midrange on the new unit. I am coming around to the thought that because I have been in critical listening mode I have become more sensitive to album mixing. Certain vocal driven albums from the mid seventies just seem to have that upper mid emphasis. Thinking rod Stewart in particular

I haven't been bothered by upper mid emphasis. I have noticed a slight reduction in mid-bass that makes the bass sound more linear. I've also noticed a very slight reduction in mids (not confined to upper mids).

Again, I find these to be subtle differences across the mid-tier DAPs I own and aren't deal breakers in any way - just slight differences in sound sig / presentation.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,015 of 7,088

Interesting, I always check the LO (and I even run in the LO for a few days - sorry Brooko) into my main full size two channel Hi-Fi and I had the same observation with the old X5 and I preferred the old X3 LO even though it had a little too much bass and was slightly lacking in the top end, again through my Hi Fi.

Did you mention the X5ii if so tell us more?

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,016 of 7,088
@Light - Man: Is there a DAP you prefer sans amp over X5? If so, what? Thx
L3000.gif

My Favourite DAP so far is the Hidizs AP100 and I prefer it by some margin to the Ibasso DX90 (which broke on me in the first month) and last place is the old X5 as I could not live with it.

Some people love the X5 and thats great.

I preferred the Fiio E12A over the Cayin C5 but of course it depends on the pairing as Twister has also said in his reviews.

Hope I answered your question.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,017 of 7,088
Light-Man:

My comments were specifically about the X5 Gen 2.   I have used it both as a line out device for the auxiliary input in my car and as a portable music player for headphones.

I have sprinkled a few thoughts about this unit on this thread already and am still trying to come up with an overall summary for my review. 

I think the killer reason to look at this machine (X5 Gen 2)  is for the amp section of the unit.  My general thinking is that the machine will appeal to people who have headphones that are a challenge to drive but not extremely challenging to drive. 

I think that the difference between a X3 Gen 2 and X5 Gen 2 is certainly there in terms of DAC quality.   It is not the same huge incremental difference one sees when going from a garden variety playback unit to something like an X3 Gen 2, let alone an X5 Gen 2.  More of a nice step up vs. a flight of stairs. 

I do have both generations of X3 but do not have the original X5.  As noted before I was very impressed with the X3 Gen II sound and sold my X1 to cover some of the upgrade cost.   So as you can guess I was not doing backflips over the X1 sound quality; I did not like the high end in particular.

But then again I am in the camp that sometimes an overly detailed machine is actually an issue because it can serve to highlight flaws in the recordings a bit too much.  For example, I like the "Canadian sound" in speakers.  PSB and Mirage.  These speakers are not ultra detailed but forgive recording flaws.  Since not everything I play has picture perfect fidelity that compromise works for me. 

Others may have a different set of priorities.  I mean I can actually live with the slightly compressed sound of XM/Sirius radio as streamed on my iphone and played in my car because I like some of the channel options. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,018 of 7,088
Don't forget another Canadian sound in speakers...... Energy.

I'm looking at the X5 II from a portable usability standpoint as my current X5 will live permanently with my desktop setup because of the separate coaxial output. It looks like the biggest hardware improvements are the amp section, but the new gen seems to improve the DAC implementation as well. Whether there is a noticable improvement in sound or not is what I'm waiting to test when the tour unit comes my way. I don't think it will be an Earth shattering difference though.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,019 of 7,088
Don't forget another Canadian sound in speakers...... Energy.

I'm looking at the X5 II from a portable usability standpoint as my current X5 will live permanently with my desktop setup because of the separate coaxial output. It looks like the biggest hardware improvements are the amp section, but the new gen seems to improve the DAC implementation as well. Whether there is a noticable improvement in sound or not is what I'm waiting to test when the tour unit comes my way. I don't think it will be an Earth shattering difference though.

Nope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back