FiiO X3 vs X1
Sep 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #61 of 83
Durability should be the same for both units. The X3 has a metal back plate and thus will pickup a little less interference while being close to a mobile phone. This happens to me when I keep my mobile inside my coat and the X1 in the outside pocket. Not a big deal and fixable with a thin sheet of copper under the plastic hood of the X1.

The X3's amplifier section is more powerful than the X1. This does not change the sound but gives you more headroom to drive inefficient headphones. The X1 will shatter your ears with most cans, so this is depending on your gear. And the output impedance is lower so if your headphones are susceptible against this, they may change the balance slightly with the X1. You can find the technical data at the FIIO site. To understand this measurements you can read the explanations here.

I did not write about sound quality for mids and highs because both units should sound identical with 99% of all hardware out there. With a given sensitivity of 112.0 dB @ 1V RMS and 50 Ohm impedance your HD598 should be an easy load for both DAPs.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #62 of 83
I have a question too.
My headphone budget is about 130-180 dollars. (DT 770 Pro, Shure SRH 840, ATH M50x etc.) Should I buy Fiio x1 or should I buy x3 and comparably ''meh'' headphones? I think headphones are way important but some ideas would be nice ^^

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #63 of 83
Definitely go for the  headphones. I've tested the X1 and X3 and found the differences not to be spectacular in sound quality. I actually enjoyed the X1 more, X3 sounded rather flat to me, X1 more musical.

In any case, $50 more on headphones you will notice a lot more than $50 on the player at this point.

For me the DT770 250 ohm is an excellent choice, it fits well and it's sound works well for my taste in music. I also have not had any issues driving it with a FiiO product.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #64 of 83
Definitely go for the  headphones. I've tested the X1 and X3 and found the differences not to be spectacular in sound quality. I actually enjoyed the X1 more, X3 sounded rather flat to me, X1 more musical.

In any case, $50 more on headphones you will notice a lot more than $50 on the player at this point.

For me the DT770 250 ohm is an excellent choice, it fits well and it's sound works well for my taste in music. I also have not had any issues driving it with a FiiO product.

So X1 can drive 250 ohms well? People say X1 is crazy between 16~100 ohms. I am totally confused now...

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #65 of 83
It depends on many things. Quality of your source files, your taste in music, your hearing.

I am capable with all FiiO products to drive my headphones. In fact for an acceptable listenning volume I usually do not have to go over 40% of the possible volume. Only exception is my old clip+ which needs to run at about 85% to drive my Beyers.

If you like really eardrum shattering volumes or your hearing is such that you can actally tell in an A/B test the difference in amp power then the combination might not be for you.

An acceptablee alternative is of course the 32 ohm version of the 770. My dad has those. I find them a touch tame for opera somehow but perfectly fine for symphonic and rock.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/646368/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-32-ohm-or-80-ohms

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #66 of 83
  It depends on many things. Quality of your source files, your taste in music, your hearing.

I am capable with all FiiO products to drive my headphones. In fact for an acceptable listenning volume I usually do not have to go over 40% of the possible volume. Only exception is my old clip+ which needs to run at about 85% to drive my Beyers.

If you like really eardrum shattering volumes or your hearing is such that you can actally tell in an A/B test the difference in amp power then the combination might not be for you.

An acceptablee alternative is of course the 32 ohm version of the 770. My dad has those. I find them a touch tame for opera somehow but perfectly fine for symphonic and rock.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/646368/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-32-ohm-or-80-ohms

Thank you wijnands!
I'm looking for some good FLACs over hdtracks because I am listening to metal music and there are not many torrents that I can benefit.
I'm gonna buy Fiio X1 which is a HI-RES Lossless Music Player so I should use FLACs imo :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #68 of 83
  I have a question too.
My headphone budget is about 130-180 dollars. (DT 770 Pro, Shure SRH 840, ATH M50x etc.) Should I buy Fiio x1 or should I buy x3 and comparably ''meh'' headphones? I think headphones are way important but some ideas would be nice ^^

If your budget is really limited, spend more money on headphones. If you decide to go with X1 make sure its power will be enough for your headphones.
As for ATH M50x, I listened to them and, personally, didn't like them.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #69 of 83
  If your budget is really limited, spend more money on headphones. If you decide to go with X1 make sure its power will be enough for your headphones.
As for ATH M50x, I listened to them and, personally, didn't like them.

Well actually my plans changed a little bit now I'm gonna buy X1 + Q1 for both portable and desktop use. It's still cheaper than X3 II anyways. In this way my doubts about ''drive ability of Fiio X1'' for some serious high impedance headphones will be gone (well I don't mean 600 ohms it's just too much lol)
But thank you for saying that even with Fiio X1 alone I can drive those headphones, I feel relaxed. :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #70 of 83
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/644595/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread

Yeah I've noticed that thread but I could not find any post that suits my musical taste. Thank you anyways!
A quick question if you know, Audio CDs that we can buy on Amazon are on lossless quality? I mean, are they better/same quality as FLACs or are they only mp3 320 kbps or lower fills?

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #72 of 83
  Well actually my plans changed a little bit now I'm gonna buy X1 + Q1 for both portable and desktop use. It's still cheaper than X3 II anyways. In this way my doubts about ''drive ability of Fiio X1'' for some serious high impedance headphones will be gone (well I don't mean 600 ohms it's just too much lol)
But thank you for saying that even with Fiio X1 alone I can drive those headphones, I feel relaxed. :)

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say Fiio X1 can drive powerful headphones, I asked you to check it before buying. There is a good chance X1 is less powerful and will not be enough for high impedance headphones.
Just in case you are interested, my X3 (1st gen) can drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm, but I would say it's close to X3's limit (I have to set volume level to 90-120 out of 120).
As for X1 + Q1, I respect your choice, but personally I wouldn't buy 2 devices for a portable use.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #73 of 83
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say Fiio X1 can drive powerful headphones, I asked you to check it before buying. There is a good chance X1 is less powerful and will not be enough for high impedance headphones.
Just in case you are interested, my X3 (1st gen) can drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm, but I would say it's close to X3's limit (I have to set volume level to 90-120 out of 120).
As for X1 + Q1, I respect your choice, but personally I wouldn't buy 2 devices for a portable use.

Yeah, I'm sorry. Thank you for information! Actually I want to see how it will be to use Q1+X1 outside. In any case I need both of them because I will use Q1 with my computer too and X1 with low impedance IEMs outside. And if it gets easy to use both of them portable, IEMs like Havi B3 Pro I can work better.

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #74 of 83
Yeah, I'm sorry. Thank you for information! Actually I want to see how it will be to use Q1+X1 outside. In any case I need both of them because I will use Q1 with my computer too and X1 with low impedance IEMs outside. And if it gets easy to use both of them portable, IEMs like Havi B3 Pro I can work better.

Why are you going to use Q1 with your computer? Does it mean you use an integrated sound card (the one that comes with a motherboard)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back