FiiO X3 vs X1
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #17 of 83
  Do you know if the SD card that they are offering in a bundle on Amazon is definitely compatible with the X1!?

i dont know but i stick with scan-disk as a safe bet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQUN-064G-FFP-A-Class-48MBps-Adapter/dp/B00MWXUKEY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417780575&sr=8-2&keywords=scan+disk+micro+sd+card

Dont get them from ebay too many fakes about

Dec 9, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 83
Originally Posted by Lamsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I too am deciding between the X1 and X3. I would love to get a more detailed comparison of their sound quality. As for features, what would I be missing out on if I got the X1?

Thanks in advance!
= = = 

I have both. After work or staying at home, the "better" sound of the X3 is more obvious than if I were using either when I move around. Having had the X3 a good few months before I received my X1, I did not exactly "felt" it was a downgrade in sound quality. To my-not-golden-ears, the X3 is "warmer" while the X1 has more liveliness, like strings sound more "there." There is obviously a difference.

For headphones my typical on-the-go is an HD-239. The X1 is just as enjoyable with my Grado and HD518. I recently tried to experience IEMs. So, now, I have a Fidue A63 and Soundmagic's E30. I prefer the E30 on both the X1 and X3. But for quiet and critical listening, the A63 sounds "better." I use my HD600 for nigh time quiet-and-just-listen sessions with the X3-as-DAC + O2. So, the DAC option to me is a big plus in favor of the X3.

Yet, the line-out of the X1 to my E11K or the JDS Labs O2 or the E09K is just as enjoyable. On the go, I use the E11K with my X1 more to extend the battery life.

So, X1 or X3? If I had to choose for a "just a portable" DAP, the X1+E11K is a good combo. Can the X3's DAC sway you to it? That's for you to try and find out :)

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 83
Still it's a difficult decision. X1 is so affordable. But an X3 is "only "twice the price, you get a little more power and a DAC. Why not throw in the DX50 to confuse matters further?

I think I'm going to order a Fiio, if I don't like it I'll return it and exchange t for the other one.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #23 of 83
As one other commenter said, if you've never heard the X3 before, get the X1. You won't know the difference and it really is very slight.
If you audition them for comparison, you will notice and the X1 might not satisfy you anymore. Not for any objective reasons, though, but mainly because it's less expensive and that, coupled with the slight edge of the X3, will end up being important.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #24 of 83
Probably a good point. I just hope the X1 is indeed a noticeable step-up from the rockboxed Clip+ I currently use. Do you happen to have seen any reliable reviews of the X1 with classical music?

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 83
Probably a good point. I just hope the X1 is indeed a noticeable step-up from the rockboxed Clip+ I currently use. Do you happen to have seen any reliable reviews of the X1 with classical music?

90% of my listening to my X1 and X3 is classical music. To my ears, the X1 is slightly "airy" while the X3 has a tad more "body." I enjoy the violins and cello with my X1, while the bass on and timpani are more "there" with my X3.

The X1 is quite capable, slightly better than a rockboxed Clip. Strapped to my E11K through X1's lineout mode, it is 2 to 3 notches better than the Clip. I would have likely been very satisfied with my X1 for my classical collection had it been available before I bought my X3.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 83
Don't forget to update the firmware to get 5-band equalizer, if necessary.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 83
Firmware 3.24 beta is a good call. Keep in mind with FIIO some beta releases are more stable than previous official releases. I really like 3.24. We are close to a really solid base. A few UI tweaks and fixing the track limitation issue that some users need and bobs your uncle.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #30 of 83
Still the UI is very weak. As a software developer I'm really unpleasantly surprised. There is no even a search function! How can that be, Fiio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back