FiiO X3 Review
Jul 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #16 of 238
One question: in the video you demonstrated the treble and bass boost by using the plus button. No treble or bass attenuation by using the - button from 0? Kind of hoping for that since one can boost the mids by decreasing the bass and treble, or reduce the treble a little for bright headphones.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 238
Quote:
Great review. Very thorough and insightful. I only watched one of the videos (the how to use/navigation one), but very helpful, too
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought your criticism of usability was well-balanced. ID3 tags have been the standard for a while now. Certainly there are people with music collections are a mess when it comes to tagging, but building a player that the music browsing is effective if ID3 tags are good seems reasonable to me.

Thanks, I make videos that I would want to see. Back when the X3 was announced, my biggest questions were on how song adding, firmware adding, and how to use the device. So I make videos accordingly.

I tried to make the big sections well balanced between pro's, con's an overview and relative opinions of such.

Without good id3 tags, you are left to use manual audio selection by using the 'Browse Files' option. This is fine with some people, but its not always faster. My id3 tags were problematic due to my high range of Asian songs I have and my inability to read Chinese/Japanese or Korean. So I had to go back and redo all my Asian songs id3 tags and change their names, track titles, albums etc to their English titles.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 238
Quote:
One question: in the video you demonstrated the treble and bass boost by using the plus button. No treble or bass attenuation by using the - button from 0? Kind of hoping for that since one can boost the mids by decreasing the bass and treble, or reduce the treble a little for bright headphones.

You guys are posting faster than I can respond haha!

Can you explain what you mean by the button from 0? Or what you specifically wish to do?

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #19 of 238
Quote:
Nope, all files with id3 tags on the SD(no matter where) and internal storage are auto catagorized.

Please go into the player settings and go to Update library and click ok. This will then manually update your library 
biggrin.gif

The slight mid range thinning is less than desireable, but I don't think it is really that much of a difference for most users. The only real way these things are noticed are when you compare it to other units and do a review on them.

Still not working for me.. upgraded to latest FW 1.20en.. formatted the microsd to FAT32 before putting songs in..restarted the X3.. take in/out the sd card lol. it's only auto-categorizing the songs that are in the internal memory and not the microsdcard

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 238
Quote:

Still not working for me.. upgraded to latest FW 1.20en.. formatted the microsd to FAT32 before putting songs in..restarted the X3.. take in/out the sd card lol. it's only auto-categorizing the songs that are in the internal memory and not the microsdcard

I've had that happen to me as well.  

Can you try the reset button at the top of the X3

And are you sure you hit the 'Update Lib" option?

It's in System Settings

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #21 of 238
You guys are posting faster than I can respond haha!

Can you explain what you mean by the button from 0? Or what you specifically wish to do?

I could have been clearer. :)

The bass and treble adjustment in the menu. You demonstrated in the video the ability to turn it up (I think up to +10) using the + button from 0. That will boost the bass and treble. But what about reducing the bass and treble from flat? Can the the - button be used to go to -10?

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #22 of 238
Quote:
I could have been clearer.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass and treble adjustment in the menu. You demonstrated in the video the ability to turn it up (I think up to +10) using the + button from 0. That will boost the bass and treble. But what about reducing the bass and treble from flat? Can the the - button be used to go to -10?

Oh yep

Bass, Treble and channel balance are all +-10 meaning you can go up 10 and go down 10 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #23 of 238
Oh yep

Bass, Treble and channel balance are all +-10 meaning you can go up 10 and go down 10 
biggrin.gif

That's awesome. :)

Now if I could only talk FiiO into implementing the replaygain (volume leveling). I'm a shuffle the genre or listen to a big playlist kind of person (I almost never listen to albums). I haven't used a DAP without that feature in five or six years. I really love using an mp3 player while I'm walking around or otherwise doing stuff without pulling it out of my pocket for like an hour.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #24 of 238
That's awesome. :)

Now if I could only talk FiiO into implementing the replaygain (volume leveling). I'm a shuffle the genre or listen to a big playlist kind of person (I almost never listen to albums). I haven't used a DAP without that feature in five or six years. I really love using an mp3 player while I'm walking around or otherwise doing stuff without pulling it out of my pocket for like an hour.
If you need to reencode your library, you could use foobar or dbpoweramp/your encoder to enable replay gain?

I had to re encode some of my songs from lossless to lossy for the X3(not worth the space) and you could do replay gain there :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #25 of 238
Fantastic thorough review
smily_headphones1.gif
  But am I to understand there's no shuffle all? I was gonna get one for the gf, and she doesn't really do the album thing (try finding a woman that does :wink:)... Hopefully they add the function to go artist -> album -> track as well. Shucks.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #26 of 238
Quote:
The slight mid range thinning is less than desireable, but I don't think it is really that much of a difference for most users. The only real way these things are noticed are when you compare it to other units and do a review on them.

I was actually hoping to read something like that. I use the UM3X in my portable rig, and the mids are actually a little too forward at times, especially with my iPod Video (that, and a ridiculous amount of hiss that sounds like it should be absent on the X3).

Any chance you have an E17 or Clip+ you could compare it to? I know others have compared it to the Clip+, but it would be interesting to read an additional set of opinions.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 238
Quote:
Fantastic thorough review
smily_headphones1.gif
  But am I to understand there's no shuffle all? I was gonna get one for the gf, and she doesn't really do the album thing (try finding a woman that does :wink:)... Hopefully they add the function to go artist -> album -> track as well. Shucks.

There is shuffle, repeat, infinite repeat etc etc.

As of right now, its more of
Artist-->every track by every album listed together by number.

Quote:

I was actually hoping to read something like that. I use the UM3X in my portable rig, and the mids are actually a little too forward at times, especially with my iPod Video (that, and a ridiculous amount of hiss that sounds like it should be absent on the X3).

Any chance you have an E17 or Clip+ you could compare it to? I know others have compared it to the Clip+, but it would be interesting to read an additional set of opinions.

I used to have E17, not anymore. CLIEOS thinks X3 sounds similar. He also has a review you could check out :)

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 238
If you need to reencode your library, you could use foobar or dbpoweramp/your encoder to enable replay gain?

I had to re encode some of my songs from lossless to lossy for the X3(not worth the space) and you could do replay gain there :wink:

My collection already has replaygain all set for everything. I was told in the X3 thread that it doesn't have a volume leveling function for using replay gain.

Or did you mean re encode the songs with the volume leveled?

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #29 of 238
Quote:
My collection already has replaygain all set for everything. I was told in the X3 thread that it doesn't have a volume leveling function for using replay gain.

Or did you mean re encode the songs with the volume leveled?

If your collection is encoded with the DSP Replay gain already, it will auto level to that same level.

But of course, this is with dbpoweramp and foobar, not sure about other programs. 

But yeah, the later is what I thought/another option to pursue. In the sense of encoding all your music with replay gain so that it auto sets to a stable volume.

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 238
Quote:
Popular Comparisons:
These use the FiiO X3’s line out so that the DAC remains the same while only the amp sections changes.

FiiO E12 - FiiO X3
First of all, the FiiO E12 boasts better transparency in the sense that it sounds more natural than the X3. This is in part due to the mid subduing the X3 does to the instruments. This allows for the E12’s mid range to come off as more forward and apparent than the X3’s. The background of the E12 is also much better than the X3’s. The background of the E12 is much more cleaner. I mean by this that there is more noise and closeness of instruments in the ‘background’ with the X3 than the E12. The E12’s also offer a vocal range that is brought back down, this makes it sound colder(although not the same as neutral), and cleaner than the X3 which makes the vocals more musical. There is also more boom in the bass of the X3 than the E12. Pretty expectable results in my opinion.

Does Fiio E12 really improve the original X3's sound stage & separation in significant amount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back