FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design, full metal case. Bass boost and Cross feed!
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #783 of 3,739
Seems like my post was eaten away by monster posts, I see you guys putting the JDS C421 on the battle.

This http://www.head-fi.org/t/568054/review-audinst-amp-hp-portable-headphone-amplifier has been reviewed by Mike at Headfonia as destroying JDS C421, and while having the more simple and bare functions, and being accurate and separating instruments well, it still has more strong and fast bass than more sub 100$ with bass boost (excluding Digizoid ZO2.3, I mean what could beat this one in bass department ?).

It Is able to power an hungry Ultrasone HFI 2400 without distortion if I recall well.

Actually has discount to 99$.

Nobody want a match between it and E12? I want it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #784 of 3,739
The E12 does need some reviews against other headphone amps. Looking forward to these.

I read the review of the audinst, and whilst I haven't seen it in real life, nor heard it, it doesn't look as good as the E12 IMO. Also, it's needs by the looks of it a bespoke charger, whereas the E12 is a standard micro USB. Also the E12 has nearly 3 times the power.

However, I would love to see this compared.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #785 of 3,739
Quote:
Seems like my post was eaten away by monster posts, I see you guys putting the JDS C421 on the battle.

This http://www.head-fi.org/t/568054/review-audinst-amp-hp-portable-headphone-amplifier has been reviewed by Mike at Headfonia as destroying JDS C421, and while having the more simple and bare functions, and being accurate and separating instruments well, it still has more strong and fast bass than more sub 100$ with bass boost (excluding Digizoid ZO2.3, I mean what could beat this one in bass department ?).

It Is able to power an hungry Ultrasone HFI 2400 without distortion if I recall well.

Actually has discount to 99$.

Nobody want a match between it and E12? I want it.

Just to clarify...the Headfonia review makes no mention or comparison of the JDS C421, or "destroying" it. The comparison there is the JDS Cmoy. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #786 of 3,739
The E12 does need some reviews against other headphone amps. Looking forward to these.

I read the review of the audinst, and whilst I haven't seen it in real life, nor heard it, it doesn't look as good as the E12 IMO. Also, it's needs by the looks of it a bespoke charger, whereas the E12 is a standard micro USB. Also the E12 has nearly 3 times the power.

However, I would love to see this compared.

Agreed with you :)

I think the Mont Blanc will be more versatile, more functions, more battery/power output (so I guess, bigger headphones driven?), mini-USB as you said and crossfeed switch. Though the AMP-HP is smaller and might not drive headphones as big as the E12, I'd enjoy to hear both (with burn-in done) to see which one provides the better equilibrium in sound quality. In any case, seeing the prices, the winners will be us :wink:

EDIT :
Just to clarify...the Headfonia review makes no mention or comparison of the JDS C421, or "destroying" it. The comparison there is the JDS Cmoy. 

My bad, look through comments or JDS C421 review itself, maybe I'm wrong but I remember Mike writing that he'd go for it over the C421 (if I'm not dreaming, it was because of soundstage and warmth, where C421 was more bright, focused on highs and miss, and weak in low/bass)

EDIT bis : Nevermind, maybe I went overboard with the term "Destroying", but look through comments and C421 review, Mike is more objective than me I think :wink:

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #787 of 3,739
Definitely looking forward to some comparisons with some of the big boys.

Moving away from IEMs--and madly in love with my HE-400s--I'm finding my beloved UHA-4 isn't quite up to the task at hand. I found the C421 to be "meh" at best, the UHA-6S doesn't put out that much more juice than the -4, I balk at ALO's prices, and so my eye is definitely on the E12 at the moment--partly, I hate to admit, because I'll eventually be able to just buy it with Amazon points outright.  :wink:

It'll be quite interesting to see if the E12 can compete with some of the bigger (and considerably pricier) names out there.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #788 of 3,739
For compairsons in my review:
E12
E11
MRB
Rendition 1

Possible reference:
Audio-gd or
Objective series

The E07K andes is out on lending(temporary trade to borrow the E11), but it will be back. It will probably come back after the review is written up, but if people ask for a comparison, I will add it to the review in an edit.

I will test with new units I have received/will recieve or with my own headphones, these many include:
Heir Audio 4ai
Heir Audio 3ai
Heir Audio Tzar 90,
Heir Audio Tzar350
Dunu DN19
RHA MA 350
Sony MH1C
Oblanc NC3-2 
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 580

This list may change at any time but this should be what you guys should expect to see as tested equipment.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #789 of 3,739
Quote:
Definitely looking forward to some comparisons with some of the big boys.

Moving away from IEMs--and madly in love with my HE-400s--I'm finding my beloved UHA-4 isn't quite up to the task at hand. I found the C421 to be "meh" at best, the UHA-6S doesn't put out that much more juice than the -4, I balk at ALO's prices, and so my eye is definitely on the E12 at the moment--partly, I hate to admit, because I'll eventually be able to just buy it with Amazon points outright.  :wink:

It'll be quite interesting to see if the E12 can compete with some of the bigger (and considerably pricier) names out there.

+1 Definitely would like to see some comparisons to some pricier amps, as well as some testing with larger/harder to drive headphones like orthos or high impedance headphones.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #790 of 3,739
250mA of current is not enough to make an ortho headphone sing, IMHO. loud volume due to power yes, but enough current to drive an ortho headphone really well isnt.

just my 2 cents.

and the E12 is already using wima caps? i guess i dont need to replace them once i get an E12 for myself, well, until warranty expires =P

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #791 of 3,739
250mA of current is not enough to make an ortho headphone sing, IMHO. loud volume due to power yes, but enough current to drive an ortho headphone really well isnt.

just my 2 cents.

How loud do you listen???

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #792 of 3,739
Wondering if this will drive MadDogs?

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #794 of 3,739
Quote:
Wondering if this will drive MadDogs?

I'm using the E07k right now to listen to my mad dogs. I haven't done any A/B tests between my O2, but to be perfectly honest it sounds about the same to me. Keep in mind I listen to music at 70-80dB (quiet by most people's standards) and the volume on the E07k is at 24/60 on low gain. The E12 should drive the MDs just fine :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #795 of 3,739
And he responds

Thanks.

Shout out to Mechy for letting me borrow the E11 for comparison review 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back