FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jul 15, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #1,741 of 2,001
Ok guys, For anyone else wondering, I can confirm that the card does indeed need to be formatted in FAT32...unfortunately I found this out the hard way.

I used SDFormatter at first, but this only formatted the card in exFAT, and there doesn't seem to be a way to set it to FAT32. Anyways, after it was formatted in exFAT, I popped it into the M3 and it showed the full capacity, so I thought it's all systems go. Unfortunately after spending the whole night sorting out and copying music over (14,000 tracks) I turned on the M3, it did a library update, so it seemed like all went well. But, when I attempted to go into a folder it said something about the file structure not being supported. So I took out the card, plugged it into my PC and immediately got a prompt that the card needs to be formatted. Which means that not even Windows could access the files on the card. All that work, LOST.

I eventually got hold of another formatter which successfully formatted it to FAT32. Spent another couple of hours sorting out and copying the tracks over, and now it's finally working properly. 

Other issues I've come across: The alphabetical sorting doesn't just affect folders, it affects files as well. Also, while music is playing and then  scrolling through folders there's often some skipping happening.
Fiio, can I also request for the next firmware update that you guys ditch the "fancy" text font, and rather use something more simple like Roboto. I find that on such a low dpi screen the current font doesn't seem to work very well 

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,742 of 2,001
Well, the M3 itself can format an SD card to FAT32, just check the settings menu and scroll down.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,743 of 2,001
Well, the M3 itself can format an SD card to FAT32, just check the settings menu and scroll down.

That's the first thing I tried.. But that doesn't work. It simply says something along the lines of no music found on card. Really weird

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #1,745 of 2,001
welp, glad you got it working one way or another :)

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #1,746 of 2,001
I used 7ZIP file manager on win XP to transfer files to M3 and they appear in Alpha order.

BTW, battery life on my M3 only lasts for 10hrs regardless of codec (mp3, m4a, and flac), I only had the player for 3 weeks.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,747 of 2,001
I used 7ZIP file manager on win XP to transfer files to M3 and they appear in Alpha order.

BTW, battery life on my M3 only lasts for 10hrs regardless of codec (mp3, m4a, and flac), I only had the player for 3 weeks.

The battery life doesn't sound right. I use mine in the office connected to a powered portable speaker, it generally runs for 10 hours a day on top of that I use it with headphones for another two hours or so each day whilst walking the dog; at the end of all that (12 hours) I still have battery bars showing so 10 hours suggests to me that something may be wrong.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #1,749 of 2,001

And do all the files on the player stay in alpha order through multiple transfers of files (additions) to the player?  As I understand it, apart from using other software, transfers will be in alpha order for each transfer "group," but not between the groups transferred--i.e., abcd bcd acd, as vs. aabbcccddd.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,750 of 2,001

maybe you are running it at max/near max volume?  I believe the rated battery life is tested at like 20-30.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,751 of 2,001
OK, so I tried to use one of the recommended FAT sorting apps to get the folders to display in alphabetical order, but that didn't seem to work...so I tried this one too: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/  .....but still no luck. not sure what the issue is

Something else I've noticed, it seems that the 4000 track limit applies per drive. By that I mean, I have around 12,000 tracks on the 128gb card, and 55 on the internal storage. When I got into settings and about, it shows 4055 tracks

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,755 of 2,001
I get 10hrs on M3 at volume level of 25 max.

that's really weird.  I use mine with FLACs exclusively and get at least 18 hours out of them (sometimes I forget to turn the timer on and fall asleep with them running the whole night).  I use them with the Grado SR80e at volume level ~35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back