FiiO M3, Ultra-Portable|8G+64G|2.0" 320*240 TFT|50mW|FLAC/APE/AIFF|In line control|OGG, MP3, AAC, WMA |24 Hours|HiFi Earbuds
Jul 14, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #1,726 of 2,001

Although I don't have personal experience with it, you might check out YAFS ("Yet Another FAT Sorter") and its Visual YAFS for a graphical interface.  http://www.luisrios.eti.br/public/en_us/projects/visual_yafs/

I also came across FatSort.  https://unfinishedbitness.info/2014/04/16/alphabetically-sorting-fat-usb-drives-with-mac-osx/

Thanks Mikerman!

I'll have a play with YAFS and say how that goes later. As for FatSort, all that fiddling with XCode (???) and talk about building the software (or whatever) is way beyond my skill set!

Pete

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,727 of 2,001

Although I don't have personal experience with it, you might check out YAFS ("Yet Another FAT Sorter") and its Visual YAFS for a graphical interface.  http://www.luisrios.eti.br/public/en_us/projects/visual_yafs/

I also came across FatSort.  https://unfinishedbitness.info/2014/04/16/alphabetically-sorting-fat-usb-drives-with-mac-osx/

As I've never used these programs before, I just downloaded the binary file for Visual YAFS to check it out, and it ran (simply double-click/open) on my Windows8.1 system just fine (sorry, I don't have a Mac).  I didn't run it as against a drive as I didn't have one handy, but went through the process up to the execute phase, and the program seems pretty slick.  :blush:

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #1,728 of 2,001
  Thanks Mikerman!

I'll have a play with YAFS and say how that goes later. As for FatSort, all that fiddling with XCode (???) and talk about building the software (or whatever) is way beyond my skill set!

Pete

Yeah, FatSort seemed more, um, complex, but I'm not familiar with the Mac Terminal, called for under FatSort, and so didn't want to presume.   :wink:   

Visual YAFS, in contrast, seems pre-baked, assuming your system already has the needed Java install installed (my Windows system did, and so the program launched smoothly--if you need Java, there's a download link at the Visual YAFS page (from my past experience, Java will take a little bit of time to download and install, but it is a pretty automatic process)).  Good luck with it--let us know how it works on your Mac!

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,729 of 2,001

So, I couldn't resist playing with YAFS a bit--a bit of insomnia tonight.  :wink:

Ran Visual YAFS as against a flash drive I have connected to my Windows8.1 system, and YAFS seemed to run well, seeming to re-order my file listings (I was checking under DOS) from order added to the flash drive to the order I chose under YAFS.  Presumably, it will perform similarly as to a microSDXC card and as used in the FiiO.

One thing I like about it, as compared to other FAT sorters:  no installation of the program is required--rather, simply run/open its file.  Hopefully, it will run as easily under MAC OS.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,730 of 2,001

So, I couldn't resist playing with YAFS a bit--a bit of insomnia tonight.  :wink:

Ran Visual YAFS as against a flash drive I have connected to my Windows8.1 system, and YAFS seemed to run well, seeming to re-order my file listings (I was checking under DOS) from order added to the flash drive to the order I chose under YAFS.  Presumably, it will perform similarly as to a microSDXC card and as used in the FiiO.

One thing I like about it, as compared to other FAT sorters:  no installation of the program is required--rather, simply run/open its file.  Hopefully, it will run as easily under MAC OS.

Just downloaded YAFS, needed JRE, so clicked on the link, but then when I tried to download that from  the Java site, I got this message:

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #30.37b5f748.1468486602.43b34d5

It seems Mac OS X.10+ (I'm using 10.11.5) doesn't play nice with Java, and that seems to be, from the wisdom of Mac forums, that Apple has (security?) concerns with Java. Some board post said a workaround is to download an old version of Java, and then get the updates, but that niggle about Java no longer being supported by Apple is putting me off trying, and it does seem a bit circuitous, and then there's the added niggle that Java for Mac seems to be one of those apps (or whatever it is) that asks the user to click for updates every few times you turn the computer on. 

Anyway, thanks for looking into it. I am becoming aware that Windows seems to be far better served when it comes to non-iTunes audio software.

Pete

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,731 of 2,001
Argh, that's so frustrating!  For whatever it's worth, Java doesn't nag me to update (on my Windows system), except when there's been a real update after a bunch of months.  And the update checker can be turned off (more accurately, not let to run). 

Perhaps another Mac FAT sorter? 

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,733 of 2,001
Guys, I've had a quick look in this thread, but can't seem to be able to find a concrete answer. 

Does the M3 support higher than 64gb cards? The reason I aks is, I've put a 128gb card in, but under the settings on the M3, it only shows the external storage as being a 64gb card (58.something iirc). It definitely is a 128gb card as I've been using it in my phone for a number of months now.

I thought to rather ask than to load up a whole bunch of files, only to then find out that it wont actually read more than half of the card's content.

Oh, and the card is a samsung evo, if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,734 of 2,001
  Guys, I've had a quick look in this thread, but can't seem to be able to find a concrete answer. 

Does the M3 support higher than 64gb cards? The reason I aks is, I've put a 128gb card in, but under the settings on the M3, it only shows the external storage as being a 64gb card (58.something iirc). It definitely is a 128gb card as I've been using it in my phone for a number of months now.

I thought to rather ask than to load up a whole bunch of files, only to then find out that it wont actually read more than half of the card's content.

Oh, and the card is a samsung evo, if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance

try using panasonic sd formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/) to format the card to FAT32

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,735 of 2,001
  try using panasonic sd formatter (https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/) to format the card to FAT32

thanks for your quick reply. are you sure it should be in FAT32? If so, where do I change that (there doesn't seem to be any options for changing the structure)?

I did format it with SDFormatter, and it seems to have formatted it in exFat....now it shows the entire capacity on the M3

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,736 of 2,001
  thanks for your quick reply. are you sure it should be in FAT32? If so, where do I change that (there doesn't seem to be any options for changing the structure)?

I did format it with SDFormatter, and it seems to have formatted it in exFat....now it shows the entire capacity on the M3

welp if it showed the entire capacity, it should be good then :)  I thought there was an option, but it's been a while since I used it.  It is the official sd card formatter though and tend to work better than Windows.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,737 of 2,001
  welp if it showed the entire capacity, it should be good then :)  I thought there was an option, but it's been a while since I used it.  It is the official sd card formatter though and tend to work better than Windows.

well, as the saying goes, "the proof is in the pudding". just waiting for the last batch of files to be converted to LAME320, and then i'll be able to check if it all works out (converting nearly 600GB of FLACs into mp3 takes quite a while haha)

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,738 of 2,001
  well, as the saying goes, "the proof is in the pudding". just waiting for the last batch of files to be converted to LAME320, and then i'll be able to check if it all works out (converting nearly 600GB of FLACs into mp3 takes quite a while haha)

haha yea, I'm ok with a smaller library in my DAPs, so I just copy over the FLAC as is.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,739 of 2,001
haha yea, I'm ok with a smaller library in my DAPs, so I just copy over the FLAC as is.

Yeah I've got my phone and e18+e12a setup for when I want to listen high res... Being able to take almost my entire collection anywhere I want in a super tiny package is partly the reason why I got the M3, so it's perfect for my needs

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,740 of 2,001
Pretty sure there is a 4000 track limit for tagged library but if you are folder briefing you can get by this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back