FiiO Earbuds Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #226 of 289
Does the Type-C to 3.5mm female adapter have built-in DAC? I'm using Samsung S23 Ultra and I am afraid that the adapter doesn't work with my phone. Samsung phone requires adapter with DAC, not like Xiaomi, Vivo, etc.. Please try it with a Samsung phone and let me know if it works or not
Yes, it has a built-in DAC.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #227 of 289
Yes, it has a built-in DAC.
Thanks for your confirmation. I've already ordered on Aliexpress. Does Fiio have any plan to release a detachable type C cable, so I don't need adapter to convert into type C anymore? Nowadays, smartphone manufacturers are eliminating the 3.5mm port from their products and using the adapter is not convenience sometimes.

Aug 22, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #228 of 289
Thanks for your confirmation. I've already ordered on Aliexpress. Does Fiio have any plan to release a detachable type C cable, so I don't need adapter to convert into type C anymore? Nowadays, smartphone manufacturers are eliminating the 3.5mm port from their products and using the adapter is not convenience sometimes.
You're welcome!
We currently have no plans for the Type C cable of the FF1, but we will consider it when we got lots of demands, thank you for your advice!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #230 of 289
Ordered a set! Hopefully they can compete with the current kings of the burget segment, the NiceHCK EB2S. If they do everything those do, with a bit more bass, the detachable cable and included type C dongle, fiio has a huge winner on their hands. The ff3 are already a personal favorite.

I'd love to see some new driver tech tried in earbuds beyond dynamics. A 14 or 15mm planar, maybe? Est? Would be curious to know if that's even possible for a bud.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #231 of 289

The wings look great. These should become an integral part of any serious earbud maker. You haven’t auditioned an earbud properly if you haven’t tried it with wings, even if you think they sort of stay in your ear. It’s the same difference you’d get with an iem fitted with tips your size vs literally two sizes out. Provocatively I’d say listening to earbuds without wings is almost like listening to open-back headphones from outside the earpieces!

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #232 of 289
The wings look great. These should become an integral part of any serious earbud maker. You haven’t auditioned an earbud properly if you haven’t tried it with wings, even if you think they sort of stay in your ear. It’s the same difference you’d get with an iem fitted with tips your size vs literally two sizes out. Provocatively I’d say listening to earbuds without wings is almost like listening to open-back headphones from outside the earpieces!
Hmmm. Maybe you just haven't gotten the right pair that fit correctly?! But those wings DO look very nice.

Aug 30, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #233 of 289
I received my set of FF1 the other day and I have to say that FiiO's new entry level earbud has excellent sound quality for the price. The included accessories of bass and crisp foams, silicone rings and stabilizing wings, plus USB C DAC to 3.5mmSE dongle really up the value of the entire package. The cable is of nice quality with mesh sleeving from the 3.5mm plug to Y splitter, while the unsleeved cable after the splitter aids in reducing microphonic noise transmission up to the buds. While the cable does have some memory, it only holds minimal twisting and behaves very well straight out of the box. I have not had any chance to use the microphone with volume control, so no comments about that except that it is another added value to the "all purpose" nature of the FF1 earbuds.

The FF1 buds are designed and tuned in such a way that they could be used without any foams, but IMO best sound quality will be found using the included foams. Whereas the FF3 and FF5 were released with 3 types of foams (bass, balanced and crisp), the FF1 only ship with 2 types (bass and crisp). I first listened with bare earbuds and while I found the sound was acceptable with decent mids and treble extension, the bass was a little low for my listening preferences. Next I tried the bass foams and wow, those foams really lowered the mids / treble region and increased the bass presence, but maybe a little too much bass for my listening prefs. I found the crisp foams gave the best balance of sound for me. Nice punchy bass without overshadowing the mids / treble. Well done FiiO team!

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #234 of 289
I received my set of FF1 the other day and I have to say that FiiO's new entry level earbud has excellent sound quality for the price. The included accessories of bass and crisp foams, silicone rings and stabilizing wings, plus USB C DAC to 3.5mmSE dongle really up the value of the entire package. The cable is of nice quality with mesh sleeving from the 3.5mm plug to Y splitter, while the unsleeved cable after the splitter aids in reducing microphonic noise transmission up to the buds. While the cable does have some memory, it only holds minimal twisting and behaves very well straight out of the box. I have not had any chance to use the microphone with volume control, so no comments about that except that it is another added value to the "all purpose" nature of the FF1 earbuds.

The FF1 buds are designed and tuned in such a way that they could be used without any foams, but IMO best sound quality will be found using the included foams. Whereas the FF3 and FF5 were released with 3 types of foams (bass, balanced and crisp), the FF1 only ship with 2 types (bass and crisp). I first listened with bare earbuds and while I found the sound was acceptable with decent mids and treble extension, the bass was a little low for my listening preferences. Next I tried the bass foams and wow, those foams really lowered the mids / treble region and increased the bass presence, but maybe a little too much bass for my listening prefs. I found the crisp foams gave the best balance of sound for me. Nice punchy bass without overshadowing the mids / treble. Well done FiiO team!
Hmmm, I wonder what they will sound like with the "balanced" foams from one of the other kits then? I will have to do some experimenting, though I suspect that once I find the right setup between the two included types, I may just say "nope, this is good. No need to experiment further."

Maybe I will START with the balanced foams?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #235 of 289
Hmmm, I wonder what they will sound like with the "balanced" foams from one of the other kits then? I will have to do some experimenting, though I suspect that once I find the right setup between the two included types, I may just say "nope, this is good. No need to experiment further."

Maybe I will START with the balanced foams?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I think I'll try the balanced foams as well, they may also be the ones I choose. I'm using balanced for both FF3 and FF5. I did have a chance to use the microphone and volume control on a phone call today. iPhone with lightning dongle. The volume control works just fine with the iPhone / lightning dongle combo. The other person's voice was bassy, not sure if the crisp foams or the lightning dongle affected that. The other person did not say anything about how I sounded (I didn't ask them either).

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #236 of 289
I think I'll try the balanced foams as well, they may also be the ones I choose. I'm using balanced for both FF3 and FF5. I did have a chance to use the microphone and volume control on a phone call today. iPhone with lightning dongle. The volume control works just fine with the iPhone / lightning dongle combo. The other person's voice was bassy, not sure if the crisp foams or the lightning dongle affected that. The other person did not say anything about how I sounded (I didn't ask them either).
I am using the balanced foams for both as well. :)

So, is the dongle that comes with it, a lightning connector then? If it is, then the dongle will be useless for me (android personal cell, and android work phone)... :wink:

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #237 of 289
I am using the balanced foams for both as well. :)

So, is the dongle that comes with it, a lightning connector then? If it is, then the dongle will be useless for me (android personal cell, and android work phone)... :wink:
It's USB C, so you should be GTG. I just did a quick swap to balanced foams and back to crisp for a comparison. As expected the balanced does cut some of the top end that the crisp foams let through. It's a toss up between the balanced and crisp foams at the moment. I'm playing a variety of tunes through a Sony DAP (no DSP enabled) to see which foams I finally settle on. I might try some VE foams as well.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #238 of 289
It's USB C, so you should be GTG. I just did a quick swap to balanced foams and back to crisp for a comparison. As expected the balanced does cut some of the top end that the crisp foams let through. It's a toss up between the balanced and crisp foams at the moment. I'm playing a variety of tunes through a Sony DAP (no DSP enabled) to see which foams I finally settle on. I might try some VE foams as well.
Ok cool! Thans for testing this. And, the VE is probably a good test as well being as they are (most times) thinner. This might be a good balance between the "crisp" and "balanced" foams... :)

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #239 of 289
Ok cool! Thans for testing this. And, the VE is probably a good test as well being as they are (most times) thinner. This might be a good balance between the "crisp" and "balanced" foams... :)
I've finally selected the balanced foams after some back and forth (balanced < > crisp) listening sessions. Of course still gonna try the VE foams compared to the balanced foams.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #240 of 289
I've finally selected the balanced foams after some back and forth (balanced < > crisp) listening sessions. Of course still gonna try the VE foams compared to the balanced foams.
Very good to know... So far the balanced foams have worked best with not only the FiiOs (for me), but with other sets as well. They strike a great balance (hmm wonder where the name came from??? :wink:) between less, and more filtering to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back