Fiio E17k Alpen 2
Jan 16, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #197 of 516
Let me chime-in here. Just remember, if you're looking for a neutral sound, the iBasso contains a Wolfson DAC that is known to produce a warm sound, thus changing the original sonic character of the music.

I have the E17K, and it also has a 'warm' sound and pronounced upper mids, including mildly recessed flat treble and slightly heavy bass. All these things add-up to a skewed inaccurate sound overall, but you may desire this, i don't know, but it certainly isn't a neutral DAC/Amp, unless you want it for all its sonic anomalies.

I will be selling mine because of this peculiar overall sonic character. It is a lush and beautiful sound overall, but it is less than accurate. I would call the E17K a 'character' DAC/Amp.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #201 of 516
Digital7 said:
.Let me chime-in here. Just remember, if you're looking for a neutral sound, the iBasso contains a Wolfson DAC that is known to produce a warm sound, thus changing the original sonic character of the music.

I have the E17K, and it also has a 'warm' sound and pronounced upper mids, including mildly recessed flat treble and slightly heavy bass. All these things add-up to a skewed inaccurate sound overall, but you may desire this, i don't know, but it certainly isn't a neutral DAC/Amp, unless you want it for all its sonic anomalies.

I will be selling mine because of this peculiar overall sonic character. It is a lush and beautiful sound overall, but it is less than accurate. I would call the E17K a 'character' DAC/Amp.
U have probably forgotten about iBasso's implementation of the WM8740 chip in the DX50. It was nothing short of miraculous

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #205 of 516
I have always had problems with the optical input lots of distortion.

Then that is most likely a problem on the side of your source output, a cable you are using, or the device you are inputting that signal into.

Optical Toslink requires much more care than digital coaxial or 3.5mm analog auxiliary. 

You can not bend the cables, and you need to keep the lens relatively clean and to never touch it with your finger. 

You need to either switch whatever you are outputting a optical signal with, and or get a new toslink cable, and or get another device that inputs optical signals into as any of those could be the problem. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #206 of 516
Then that is most likely a problem on the side of your source output, a cable you are using, or the device you are inputting that signal into.

Optical Toslink requires much more care than digital coaxial or 3.5mm analog auxiliary. 

You can not bend the cables, and you need to keep the lens relatively clean and to never touch it with your finger. 

You need to either switch whatever you are outputting a optical signal with, and or get a new toslink cable, and or get another device that inputs optical signals into as any of those could be the problem. 

so much hassle why just not use coaxial

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #207 of 516
so much hassle why just not use coaxial

There's not any hassle. 

A part of your system is giving trouble and so I was just helping you diagnose it. 

The difference between them is just a cable, not the whole set of instruments I was talking about

Coaxial has cons that make supreme audiophiles with time, money, and care choosing optical. The main con of coaxial being interference.

There are so many factors to play into coaxial or optical or USB. And for the most part they all will sound the same.

It's just that depending on your own lifestyle and uses. One will be better than the other.

Coaxial being good for people with dedicated speaker rooms. And optical for those with A LOT of electrical equipment, wires, computers, etc in the room near it. 

Noting that it is possible to isolate coaxial very well. And that optical does indeed require another conversion chip whose quality will again play into what you hear.

Conclusion: Use what you want. There is hassle with every format. It is not a simple idea of JUST use X Y or Z. Use what fits your lifestyle. There is no need to try to change anothers and complain about a format when it works for many people out there. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #208 of 516
Lol, I don't get the people who are astonished that the E17K may be more neutral than the E18.... the E18 was quite "un"neutral to my ears... if the E18 is "neutral" I would hate to listen to the original E17.

Dunno, the faulty Udac 2 sounded much better soundstage-wise and was a third of the price. Now to find something in the sub-$150 range that's more transparent than the E12....

Honestly, I'm finding time after time that Fiio just keeps on making "warm" products that are inaccurate to the sound (E12 may be the only exception). Sorry to be negative, I'm just upset that Fiio can't make a neutral dac/amp already - it's been way to long.

If I wanted "warm" and bassy I would've went with Beats, not the E18 lmao 
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #209 of 516
Lol, I don't get the people who are astonished that the E17K may be more neutral than the E18.... the E18 was quite "un"neutral to my ears... if the E18 is "neutral" I would hate to listen to the original E17.

Dunno, the faulty Udac 2 sounded much better soundstage-wise and was a third of the price. Now to find something in the sub-$150 range that's more transparent than the E12....

Honestly, I'm finding time after time that Fiio just keeps on making "warm" products that are inaccurate to the sound (E12 may be the only exception). Sorry to be negative, I'm just upset that Fiio can't make a neutral dac/amp already - it's been way to long.

If I wanted "warm" and bassy I would've went with Beats, not the E18 lmao :D

Well that's the" FiiO house sound" and that's what FiiO customers want. I'm not knocking what you said, I actually bought the E17k and im not very happy with the overall sound and it is up for sale. I have the X5/E12 rig and it is by far my favorite rig right now so I to like FiiO a lot but they can't always make something for everyone.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #210 of 516
For non critical listening I like stacking a X5 with an E17K. Never should you buy these two with the intent on just stacking them. But if you have them. Its fun to listen to.

I can't stand the more active and clean sound that the E18 and X5 feature. Its don't OK but features some sonic flaws by themselves. The E12 addition to the X5 does make it quite good though.

But for moments when I want to sit, relax and have some passive music. The e17K makes its mark.

I wouldn't call the new Alpen 2 neutral. It is fun thouhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back