FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Oct 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #4,638 of 6,777
If the E17 has sonic qualities you like that you want to mix and try. Most units "double amp" or even more! DACs have their own output stage op amp that is usually replaceable and then most amps have two amps on them(not always)

And to eq, with the l7 set to the right lo bypass you can still use eq and volume on e17 as the pre amp will still be used.

Its highly up to you.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #4,640 of 6,777
Quote:
How good is the bass boost of the E17 in terms of quantity and quality?

Up to 12dB bass boost

The quality depends on your headphones as well. A headphone with poor bass responce generally will distort pretty heavily (generally) at 4dB whilst others will start to distort or get it at 6dB and etc etc. While ones that don't have bass but can EQ well may even get a 10dB bass boost with ok results.

As for the quality of the EQ as it is built in and considering the price, I would say its above average. More fun than accurate really, ifyou are looking for accuracy, then this wouldn't be of high quality, but fun wise, its quite good.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #4,644 of 6,777
Quote:

Finally, another question for you guys. Using Ubuntu, I have managed to get the e17 to output at either 16bit/48k or 24 bit/96k. I cannot get it to select the bit rate based on the source. Not all my music is of the highest quality, thus, what do you think of listening to mp3 quality at 320kbs when the e17 is set to 24bit? My experience seems to vary for some reason as some mp3s sound fine whilst others sound less good than when at 16bit. 

Anyways, thanks again.

I have some questions regarding ubuntu, thought I'd ask you as well as any other ubuntu-using onlookers.

I've been using deadbeef outputting over ALSA instead of pulseaudio. I think this is working the best, as the e17 displays 24 bit & 96k when I switch over to hi-res (24/192) files.
Is that proof that output is digital and the decoding is happening in the e17's DAC and not onboard my computer?

As a side note, it doesn't seem to switch back to displaying 48k/16bit on the e17 once I've played a 24/192 file. Is that what you mean by listening to mp3s at 24 bit kajendiran?
If so, I guess that's okay then.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #4,645 of 6,777
Quote:

Finally, another question for you guys. Using Ubuntu, I have managed to get the e17 to output at either 16bit/48k or 24 bit/96k. I cannot get it to select the bit rate based on the source. Not all my music is of the highest quality, thus, what do you think of listening to mp3 quality at 320kbs when the e17 is set to 24bit? My experience seems to vary for some reason as some mp3s sound fine whilst others sound less good than when at 16bit. 

Anyways, thanks again.

Did I miss this question?

If you are using MP3's, they only allow 44.1 and 48KHz sampling at 16bit. No need to go any higher.

There is already problems getting some units to display or send what info on Windows as there are so many hardware differences, getting it on Ubuntu correctly is even harder.

I have some questions regarding ubuntu, thought I'd ask you as well as any other ubuntu-using onlookers.

I've been using deadbeef outputting over ALSA instead of pulseaudio. I think this is working the best, as the e17 displays 24 bit & 96k when I switch over to hi-res (24/192) files.
Is that proof that output is digital and the decoding is happening in the e17's DAC and not onboard my computer?

As a side note, it doesn't seem to switch back to displaying 48k/16bit on the e17 once I've played a 24/192 file. Is that what you mean by listening to mp3s at 24 bit kajendiran?
If so, I guess that's okay then.

IT should be. I do not know what coding the E17 uses but the E17 should be sampling what is digitally comming in through its USB or S/PDIF inputs and thus give you information on its screen. Keep in mind that displaying 96KHz also includes 88.2KHz on the E17.

I've had that happen sometimes to me back then as well even on Windows. 

Honestly, this is largely on the E17 and how it shows the formats.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #4,646 of 6,777
Quote:

IT should be. I do not know what coding the E17 uses but the E17 should be sampling what is digitally comming in through its USB or S/PDIF inputs and thus give you information on its screen. Keep in mind that displaying 96KHz also includes 88.2KHz on the E17.

I've had that happen sometimes to me back then as well even on Windows. 

Honestly, this is largely on the E17 and how it shows the formats.

Alright, I´ll assume it is receiving digital audio in that case.
Is it possible for an analog signal to go through USB? I was messing around earlier, playing some 24/192 and it displayed 16/48 on the E17, I assumed the E17 was receiving analog signal, hence the wrong display info.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4,647 of 6,777
Quote:
Alright, I´ll assume it is receiving digital audio in that case.
Is it possible for an analog signal to go through USB? I was messing around earlier, playing some 24/192 and it displayed 16/48 on the E17, I assumed the E17 was receiving analog signal, hence the wrong display info.

If you're on a Mac, you have to go into Audio MIDI Setup in Applications>Utilities to change it to 24/96. It automatically did that in Mountain Lion for me but in Snow Leopard I have to change it every now and then. Sometimes the settings stick, sometimes they don't.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,649 of 6,777
Is USB mode supposed to be limited to 6dB? I can access 12dB fine without doing the "god mode" trick. It is only limited to 6dB when I hook up my L7. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4,650 of 6,777
I've owned an e17 since April, 2012. 

It's been about 6 months, up to this point it was working fine; now I've got issue with the sound cutting in the left and right channels.
I'm suspecting it is the headphone jack. And it appears the LED screen has burn in.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back