FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #346 of 1,676
I was looking at getting the e11 to upgrade over my old e5. I mainly use it on my zune 30gb. I like the sound better out of that over my galaxy s3, but I'm seeing I could use the e07k dac on the s3, as well as my laptop. That is tempting, Being jobless, I would be charging this to my cc..... 

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #347 of 1,676
Can confirm it works with my Note2.  However I'm a little confused? The audio app EQ changes the sound when going over USB to the E07K. Why is this? I thought the DAC was just reading a digital signal of the files?

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #348 of 1,676
Quote:
Can confirm it works with my Note2.  However I'm a little confused? The audio app EQ changes the sound when going over USB to the E07K. Why is this? I thought the DAC was just reading a digital signal of the files?

Most EQ these days are applied in the digital domain, meaning the effect is added to the digital stream before it is sent to the DAC.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #349 of 1,676
Clever! Just shows my naivety to all of this.  I thought EQs were done after the conversion to analogue!

So what's the correct way to do all of this? Leave the phone app on flat with no boosts, at 100% and adjust the treble/bass/gain on the Fiio? Or EQ it on the phone app until it sounds right, then boost if need be via the Fiio?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #350 of 1,676
Quote:
Clever! Just shows my naivety to all of this.  I thought EQs were done after the conversion to analogue!

So what's the correct way to do all of this? Leave the phone app on flat with no boosts, at 100% and adjust the treble/bass/gain on the Fiio? Or EQ it on the phone app until it sounds right, then boost if need be via the Fiio?

It were done in the analog domain in the old time but it is cheaper to do it in the digital domain and so that's what becomes popular.

Keep it flat in the app and adjust EQ via FiiO should give you the best dynamic and least chance on clipping. However, if EQ app doesn't degrade the SQ noticeably, then I don't see why not.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #351 of 1,676
Quote:

It were done in the analog domain in the old time but it is cheaper to do it in the digital domain and so that's what becomes popular.

Keep it flat in the app and adjust EQ via FiiO should give you the best dynamic and least chance on clipping. However, if EQ app doesn't degrade the SQ noticeably, then I don't see why not.

It makes it sound better to me, but I tend to lower the preamp a little if I detect any clipping.  I'm not boosting or attenuating by much however; only a couple of dB tops.  With the X10s, I've boosted the very high freqs a little, and attenuated the 500-2000hz range a little

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #352 of 1,676
Quick question guys. e07k vs e10, with one will be better? I'm going to use one of those with grados sr60i. I know that e10 will probably sound better but e07k is also portable. Thanks for answers!

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #353 of 1,676
Quote:
Quick question guys. e07k vs e10, with one will be better? I'm going to use one of those with grados sr60i. I know that e10 will probably sound better but e07k is also portable. Thanks for answers!

I think not only should be the sound difference be of concern, but the noise when using the USB connectivity to the computer.  The E10, from what I've read, does have some that can be detected.  A small amount of background noise, I can deal with.  However, noise that is created as a result of the computer can be another issue.  Not all computers allow us to control the USB latency, which can often resolve issues.  But, I'd like to see how the device itself can handle these issues at the device level.  I've had an HRT Streamer II in the past that was about the best USB device that I've ever used when it came to computer connectivity. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #354 of 1,676
Quote:

Lots of DAP and App in PC use digital EQ which means the Soc or the processor will process the digital audio signal to get the EQ effect, but this digital soft EQ will cause phase distortion which make the SQ does not sound nature. 

Of course, there are some very high end audio device use digital EQ like the Accuphase. but it is very expensive. and depend on our experience, a hardware EQ usually have not such problem and sounds more nature.  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #355 of 1,676
after playing with the E07K I have only been able to use it with my note 2 by using the headphone connection using it as an amp because I do not get any sound when used via my OTG connection .
I am not sure why it is not working and knew when I got it that it may not work but just as an amp the sound is quite good .

I bought this OTG cable from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00
not sure if this is the culprit or not as it works well accessing data on my usb flash drives .

I am however very pleased with how this little device sounds on my computer ,I have very decent sound cards at my disposal but nothing drives my Headphones to a decent level unless I am using my SAE preamp or Yamaha RX-Z9 to power them but now having this DAC/Amp I am very pleased with having another option.

also the build quality is very decent for such an affordable device.

any help diagnosing why it does not work on my note via usb would be appreciated , it does show the device and connects like it should but no sound....

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #356 of 1,676
Hey guys, I need some advice here. I current got e11 with me. but I want a dac for my mac. and then i see the new e07k. I have ipc and galaxy note 2, so connecting e07k to my note 2 is good, but not necessary. ipc+e11 is good enough for me as a portable. so as a pure dac for my mac, is e07k significantly better than e10? I mean even regardless the amp section, as i could always line out both of them to e11 if the amp isn't satisfy. The most attractive feature of e07k is that it has the eq setting, compare to e10 which only has a bass on/off. But the main consideration always comes down to the price. is e07k really worth me paying the extra in terms of being a dac for my mac?

p.s. I know that e17 would be a superior option over both e10 and e07k, but then, getting the e17 meaning that i dont need my e11 as a portable amp. Then i think it is a waste for paying extra money for the portable use.  

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #357 of 1,676
Quote:
Hey guys, I need some advice here. I current got e11 with me. but I want a dac for my mac. and then i see the new e07k. I have ipc and galaxy note 2, so connecting e07k to my note 2 is good, but not necessary. ipc+e11 is good enough for me as a portable. so as a pure dac for my mac, is e07k significantly better than e10? I mean even regardless the amp section, as i could always line out both of them to e11 if the amp isn't satisfy. The most attractive feature of e07k is that it has the eq setting, compare to e10 which only has a bass on/off. But the main consideration always comes down to the price. is e07k really worth me paying the extra in terms of being a dac for my mac?

p.s. I know that e17 would be a superior option over both e10 and e07k, but then, getting the e17 meaning that i dont need my e11 as a portable amp. Then i think it is a waste for paying extra money for the portable use.  

What is ipc?

iPC? The Macintosh computers certainly are Personal Computers but never heard anyone call it an ipc.

They both use the same DAC. The DAC's implementation and USB decoder will have an effect. The word signifigant is very subjective. It depends on each person if they personally think it is signifigant.

You could try selling E11 if you are in such a dillema

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #359 of 1,676
ipc is prolly an iPod Classic...
dt880smile.png

Nevermind...

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #360 of 1,676
Quote:
What is ipc?

iPC? The Macintosh computers certainly are Personal Computers but never heard anyone call it an ipc.

They both use the same DAC. The DAC's implementation and USB decoder will have an effect. The word signifigant is very subjective. It depends on each person if they personally think it is signifigant.

You could try selling E11 if you are in such a dillema

so u would prefer e07k over e10?? and then sell my e11?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back