Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #946 of 1,023
I'm considering this vs the Musician Taurus--- looking for that thicker rounder sound...-- without getting muffeled.--

Is the Wandla cleaner than the may?
Yes it's a bit sharper and a bit leaner than May. For maximum tonal richness high end r2r is the answer imo.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #947 of 1,023
If you could keep one- would it be the may or wandla?
I already sold my May and I don't regret it. But I did want a bit leaner and cleaner sound.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #950 of 1,023
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #952 of 1,023
anyone updated to 1.4. firmware ?
Yeah, unfortunately I still get those clicks when connecting cayin N7 via usb as a transport IMG_2861.jpeg

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #953 of 1,023
Also in Red mode the true bypass and volume control digital/analog is disabled. There are no physical clicks when changing those options. Which I guess makes sense given that it just attenuates the signal digitally right now

I thought for a sec these features stopped working, however going back to Pro mode it brought them back
Vol control should still work with red mode. Those are only disabled if you turn on bypass

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #955 of 1,023
Yes it does. Thing is it’s digital I believe (even though it’s set to analog). As the analog/digital buttons don’t switch anything in the Red mode which attenuates digitally anyway
It's cause I think the 1.4 update swapped the red mode on V3.0 and earlier to analog vol control rather than digital. So if you have red enabled the analog vol control is already in the signal path and hence you won't hear a relay click.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #956 of 1,023
Just wanted to chime in and say that my Hypsos has been humming since I got it last summer. I sent it in to Ferrum for repair because it was under warranty and they told me the transformer was in spec but replaced it anyway for me. New one still hums albeit a bit quieter. I've become accustomed to it at this point but it's definitely a frustrating aspect to it.
If i have said anything before that my Hypsos still hummed a little after using a ifi Dc blocker.
It's worth bearing in mind I think that mechanical transformer hum is very common

I measured it a 12 midnight in a quiet room with a SPL meter I use to check the level of HPs. Placed it on top of Hypsos and the difference between off (room level) an ON was ca. 3.4 DB... 34.6 vs 38! So little that someone from Fe meant it's surprising that I hear that.
Still bothered me.
Wouldn't it be funny if those of you with same "issue" would have the same positive result also by just applying pressure on it's top and that humming is gone?
No power/transformer issue just the case vibrating... just saying (again)! wouldn't cost anything... no need to by power filter/DC blocker!

BTW would be interested if besides having a R2R DAC getting a WANDLA would make sense in terms of different flavour/"high level side grade"? Or should I better focus on spending that on a different HP?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #957 of 1,023
I measured it a 12 midnight in a quiet room with a SPL meter I use to check the level of HPs. Placed it on top of Hypsos and the difference between off (room level) an ON was ca. 3.4 DB... 34.6 vs 38! So little that someone from Fe meant it's surprising that I hear that.
Still bothered me.
Wouldn't it be funny if those of you with same "issue" would have the same positive result also by just applying pressure on it's top and that humming is gone?
No power/transformer issue just the case vibrating... just saying (again)! wouldn't cost anything... no need to by power filter/DC blocker!

BTW would be interested if besides having a R2R DAC getting a WANDLA would make sense in terms of different flavour/"high level side grade"? Or should I better focus on spending that on a different HP?
I always think headphones first. Only when you're done with headphones I would go first amps and then dacs last.

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #958 of 1,023
I always think headphones first. Only when you're done with headphones I would go first amps and then dacs last.
thought so, depends on how many HPs is enough... how do you use that AN amp?

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #959 of 1,023
thought so, depends on how many HPs is enough... how do you use that AN amp?
Mostly with AN speakers, but its also great with TC using an adapter.

Enough is when you know you've got exactly what you want and can't be bothered to buy more 😂

Apr 20, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #960 of 1,023
So I am still using fw 1.2. Thankfully never updated to 1.3 which I found out is unstable. Seems they now have the 1.4. Anyone updated to the latest fw? Any good? Whats the difference between this latest fw and 1.2? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back