Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #932 of 1,023
New firmware is now available including the fix for the sleep bug
Great! Will check and fingers crossed the macOS boot loader problem is solved too.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #933 of 1,023
Apr 18, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #934 of 1,023
Well that was a bit tense as it took 3 goes to update and after the first two tries the Wandla was unresponsive. Only the Ferrum Control app knew there was life in the system and it reported no firmware was installed at all. It's all installed now so I will listen this afternoon to see how it goes.

I still have an old bootloader (0.7.3), I saw there was a bootloader problem and that was fixed, but if it's fixed then I should be able to use macos to update, but I can't find any information about it and don't want to try and update in case it bricks it. Do I need to dig out or borrow a Windows machine to do this? I need to update it to get GSE if I want that.

Update: I just said to hell with it and tried to update the boot loader on macOS. Just like the firmware it was squeaky bum time what it refused to work, but did work. I then had to repeat the firmware installation and a quick test proved that it has firmware 1.4 and bootloader 0.14.1 and it plays music.

Now to wait for the GSE updates, prices and process. I just wish I’d received the version 4 board, but it’s doesn’t matter that much to my set up.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #936 of 1,023
Standard “red book” should be 2V / 5V output. But I could be wrong

Setting manually with the volume should have the same effect imho

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #937 of 1,023
@GoldenSound Could you clarify what “Red” mode physically does on older mainboard versions? Is it any different than setting a -8db dig trim for the 9.7V? On the new ones I assume it’s a physical voltage divider
'RED' refers to redbook, and is a -7dB reduction from 'pro'

In Wandla GSE (and new units V4.0 and higher) this is a new dedicated voltage divider circuit.

In older units this is done by digital vol control instead, though in a future update it'll be swapped to use the MUSES vol control chips instead

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #938 of 1,023
Also in Red mode the true bypass and volume control digital/analog is disabled. There are no physical clicks when changing those options. Which I guess makes sense given that it just attenuates the signal digitally right now

I thought for a sec these features stopped working, however going back to Pro mode it brought them back

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #939 of 1,023
Just got a PS Audio regenerator and the Hypsos is still humming/buzzing. Even when I combine the iFi DC Blocker on the regenerators IEC inlet. 🤷‍♂️
It's worth bearing in mind I think that mechanical transformer hum is very common. And it's very unlikely to be affected by the introduction of any upstream gadget in the AC line. In fact, if the upstream gadget has a transformer (like many in-line power sources) it may well also hum. I find the strategic placement of a paper weight often works wonders ...

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #940 of 1,023
Would Wandla owners call the Wandla Hypsos combination "meaty, thick, high tonal coloration, rich, dark" sounding (in any of the filter settings) or would this be inaccurate? Looking for a descriprion of tone and timber as it is the main issue for headphone listening for me...

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #941 of 1,023
Would Wandla owners call the Wandla Hypsos combination "meaty, thick, high tonal coloration, rich, dark" sounding (in any of the filter settings) or would this be inaccurate? Looking for a descriprion of tone and timber as it is the main issue for headphone listening for me...
Yes, but still a tad leaner and more analytical than May for example, but for me the same overall signature as May. Obv YMMV.

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #944 of 1,023
As thich and meaty as DSD?
DSD is a different kinda sound all together imo. Can't compare. I'm referencing May in NOS no upsampling. I keep Wandla in the sharpest filter and analogue volume. It gives it a bit of a treble edge from the filter and meaty lows from the analogue pre section. You can make it more mellow and more lean as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back