Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #916 of 1,023
We tried Wandla with a friend last weekend in my Feliks Envy / Susvara / various ZMFs chain.

Rather excessivly compared it to my May Level 2. We compared them A/B with the same set of interconnects. No Hypsos.

He bought Wandla initially after high praise by Golden and few other reviewers. Aswell after many people claimed Wandla is rather close to May and more or less on pair with Spring with addition of much smaller form factor and convenience of build in HQPlayer filters.

Well how shall I put it gently. Its not. The sound with Susvara is rather flat, coldish, dry and two-dimensional after swiching from May. The stage is big but it lacks any depth. Susvara sounded rather dead and lacked excitement after May. Even on WE300b tubes on Envy. To me it sounded like a usual delta sigma give or take, with some good slam and a good left to right stage. The hqplayer filters are as expected convinient.

With ZMF it was considerably better since the tuning of Verite and Atrium Closed is rather euphonic on its own and they dont rely on the wetne and warmth in the chain like Susvara, but still it was rather obvious that the depth and analog timbre wasnt on the same level as with May. I am not sure about Spring 2 KTE since its been a while I had it, but I highly doubt Wandla can compete with it, should you look for deep, wet organic R2R sound.
The detail is definitely there, it has nice punch too, and its fun to be able to shape the sound with the filters without using HQPlayer, but for me after a good R2R it certainly wouldnt be an option.

I hoped for something truly sonically impressive closely following the release hype, that can replace my May in this formfactor. For me its not it. The friend is likely to sell Wandla at some point and upgrade further to a R2R dac like Spring/May/Wavelight. Considering the pricing which is around 3k, unless you need smaller form factor dac, I cant recommend this dac. Even then 3k seem to much for it.You can grab a Spring KTE for that money nowdays secondhand. Golden hinted I should wait for GSE filters which should improve the unit further, but considering all his praise that I really cant second this time, I think it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have no bias and I was more than happy to pay almost a third of the price for similar perfomance. Its just not there to my ear.

IMG_8184.jpg
Interesting, I use mine with hypsos and have a completely oposite imoressions. For me Wandla is the better performer overall and doesn't sound like any other deltasigma I've heard before :thinking:

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #917 of 1,023
Interesting, I use mine with hypsos and have a completely oposite imoressions. For me Wandla is the better performer overall and doesn't sound like any other deltasigma I've heard before :thinking:
Did you do a proper A/B or do you compare from memory?

I am not sure Hypsos can make such a big difference.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #918 of 1,023
Did you do a proper A/B or do you compare from memory?

I am not sure Hypsos can make such a big difference.
I did a proper b2b, I owned May for 3 years so I also know it inside out. Idk maybe it's a system synergy thing (but I also have a 300b amp with WE) or different expectations.

I haven't used Wandla without Hypsos, maybe Ill try when I have some time.

One thing that caught my eye is that for you the stage was smaller on Wandla and that it sounded like a typical deltasigma, and this is something that surprised me the most about it that for me it had similar stage to May and it didn't sound like a typical DS at all. But we all hear differently etc. Idk

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #919 of 1,023
One thing that caught my eye is that for you the stage was smaller on Wandla and that it sounded like a typical deltasigma, and this is something that surprised me the most about it that for me it had similar stage to May and it didn't sound like a typical DS at all. But we all hear differently etc. Idk
Nope I didnt say that, I said the stage is not as deep and rather flat on Wandla. There is no endless depth of space like what you have with May, in A/B it immidatly appears rather flat. But Wandla definitly does well with staging from left or ight, I think they are definitly on pair with May there, Wandla even could have a slight edge in that regard.

Synergy might indeed be a factor. The difference was nto that apparent on ZMF headphones as I mentioned before, yes the analog timbre was less the depth of the stage too but ZMF got a highly euphonic, analog tuning from the get go that seem to mask disadvatages of Wandla. Could be the case with Abyss too. I think Wandla might have bit more punch too, which Utopia and Abyss could benefit from.

The difference between May and Wandla was really apparent on a highly revealing Susvara, which basically doesnt have much of a tonality of its own, is transparent and simply reflects what you chain does. It immidiatly lacked depth and the analog wet timbre of May, the instruments had less body too. All of that was really not in favour of Wandla in my books especially at that price point, considering the Feliks Envy with WE300b tubes in that chain.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #920 of 1,023
Nope I didnt say that, I said the stage is far less deep. There is no endless depth of space like what you have with May, in A/B it appears rather flat on Wandla. But Wandla definitly does well with staging from left or ight, I think they are definitly on pair with May there, Wandla even could have a slight edge in that regard.

Synergy might indeed be a factor. The difference was nto that apparent on ZMF headphones as I mentioned before, yes the analog timbre was less the depth of the stage too but ZMF got a highly euphonic, analog tuning from the get go that seem to mask disadvatages of Wandla.

The difference between May and Wandla was really apparent on a highly revealing Susvara, which basically doesnt have much of a tonality of its own, is transparent and simply reflects what you chain does. It immidiatly lacked depth and the analog wet timbre of May, the instruments had less body too. All of that was really not in favour of Wandla in my books, considering the Feliks Envy with WE300b tubes in that chain.
I agree regarding those differences in tonality and that the Wandla is a little bit drier and more analytical (only a little bit tho), but I was really affraid that it will not match May in stage (depth as well) and for me it did, and even exceeded it with more clarity.

I will test with the brick psu at some point, but I had a demo unit before with old hypsos that didn't have Wandla preset and getting my unit that has the new firmware was already a sizable step up especially in timbre.

I also use 1266 and Utopia as well as very revealing speakers, but it could be a synergy thing specific to Susvara. Idk I sold mine some time ago because it didn't do it for me even on May and Bliss at that point, so maybe we probably have wildly different taste as well.

I can say for sure that Wandla sounds nothing like for example Gustars X26 Pro I've tested some months ago which is based on the same chip.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #921 of 1,023
Just got a PS Audio regenerator and the Hypsos is still humming/buzzing. Even when I combine the iFi DC Blocker on the regenerators IEC inlet. 🤷‍♂️
If i have said anything before that my Hypsos still hummed a little after using a ifi Dc blocker.

I would like to revise that and say its almost or completely quiet now after further listening and paying attention for it. Just now to.

Could maybe be some slight more electric noise/hum when everyone come home from work around 16:00-17:00, the busiest hours but not sure yet it will happen on some days.

So yours could be faulty?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #922 of 1,023
I agree regarding those differences in tonality and that the Wandla is a little bit drier and more analytical (only a little bit tho), but I was really affraid that it will not match May in stage (depth as well) and for me it did, and even exceeded it with more clarity.

I will test with the brick psu at some point, but I had a demo unit before with old hypsos that didn't have Wandla preset and getting my unit that has the new firmware was already a sizable step up especially in timbre.

I also use 1266 and Utopia as well as very revealing speakers, but it could be a synergy thing specific to Susvara. Idk I sold mine some time ago because it didn't do it for me even on May and Bliss at that point, so maybe we probably have wildly different taste as well.

I can say for sure that Wandla sounds nothing like for example Gustars X26 Pro I've tested some months ago which is based on the same chip.

Could be. All I can add is, if you are looking for organic alive R2R sound with benefits of what Holo Audio does stage and and imaging wise (depth / layering and so on) Wandla isnt the dac that will do it imho.
To me it was exactly what I am familar with from other dry, rather flat delta sigma dacs with good technicalities. Which may work beautifully in some chains indeed.

Wasnt 100% convinced by Susvara with Bliss too btw, it comes to life with tubes imho.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #923 of 1,023
Could be. All I can add if you are looking for organic alive R2R sound with benefits of what Holo Audio does stage and and imaging wise (depth / layering and so on) Wandla isnt the dac that will do it imho.
To me it was exactly what I am familar with from other dry, rather flat delta sigma dacs with good technicalities. Which may work beautifully in some chains indeed.

Wasnt 100% convinced by Susvara with Bliss too btw, it comes to life with tubes imho.
Don't cross it out just yet, power does matter for components that can scale high.

When I'll get the time to test it with a brick I'll confirm if it changes it for me and in what way.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #924 of 1,023

I also tried A/B with Wandla and RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE that has the same ESS chip. Wandla was clearly superior in every way, and even more when using the HQP filters. Timbre, stage and dynamics, and a sense of realism was better on Wandla (and the difference was not small for me). I did use it with Hypsos as well. For me it cleaned up the spatial characteristics and a sense of easiness to play music.

I wish I could afford a May or a DAVE and compare them but that’s not possible due to financial reasons 😅 however, I do feel spoiled with the Wandla and Hypsos already, I really like the way it reproduces the music and enjoying it on my setup so I think that matters :) it is good enough that I feel I don’t need to keep chasing the unicorn DAC again before I improve other things in my chain. For example, I really want to do a fine room treatment to improve my two channel setup 🔊✨

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #925 of 1,023
I haven’t had may for a while but I did have it for a few years so I can do my 2c of a very indirect comparison whenever the gs editions ship.

Honestly more interested with the Hypsos hum at this point. I have one but haven’t unpacked it yet since I was waiting for the Wandla. I guess I’ll take it out and see if it needs a firmware update at least and see if mine has any of the hum later today.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #926 of 1,023
Honestly more interested with the Hypsos hum at this point. I have one but haven’t unpacked it yet since I was waiting for the Wandla. I guess I’ll take it out and see if it needs a firmware update at least and see if mine has any of the hum later today.
Mine has a slight one when I get close to it, but it never bothered me nor affected the sound in any way to my knowledge

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #927 of 1,023
Here some first impressions comparing Wandla and Cyan 2.

Setup: Wandla fed by DMP-A6 USB, Cyan 2 with Ropieee USB, both going into HM1. Everything on an PQ 707 conditioner. Grouped together in Roon for direct A/B on HM1. Wandla running internal HQ Apod OS, Cyan 2 running Roon OS precise linear 705/768kHz + HQ Player 1.5MHz. Listening with Tungsten DS.

I can't shake off the feeling that I hear very similar things like back when I was comparing Wandla with my Spring 3 KTE I had back then 👀.

Wandla is a bit quicker and more transient forward and detailed, Cyan 2 a bit smoother in the treble with a bit fuller and natural sounding mids (beautiful vocals esp.) But both beautiful in their own way and it comes down to preference/music. Really splitting hairs. They perform both in very similar technical territory imo. Especially with full HQP OS on Cyan 2 they are very close from each other. One song I might prefer on Wandla, the other on Cyan 2.
One thing I noticed in the bass is that Wandla seems to pronounce more the initial bass impact and Cyan 2 sounds a bit fuller with more emphasis on the bass body.
Overall HQP helps Cyan 2 to catch up on Wandla - especially concerning placement precision and layering.
So in sonic performance alone they are on very similar levels for me. Only that Cyan 2 needs some external help from HQP to get there - Still sounding good in NOS/Roon OS but then the delta to Wandla is more obvious - and NOS is a pretty special sound on it's own, I think, so hard to compare directly. Very similar of what I felt with Spring 3. Only that that costs quite a bit more.

Cyan 2 is as barebones of a DAC as you can get. Only control is the power switch. I think not including an input selector is the biggest flaw I can see people having issues with. For me it's a non issue because it will only play on one source in my 2ch setup. But on a setup where you want to combine streamer and PC for example I can see this quickly being a deal killer. Who wants to always turn off or unplug one source to play the other one? But maybe also a concious decision to have some separation to Spring 3.
Of course talking from memory but to my ears, in my setup, I'd say for sound alone Spring 3 isn't really worth it over Cyan 2 - if you don't need the features or option for pre of course.

Honestly I didn't expect Cyan 2 to do this good in my comparison. But it seems to confirm my positive initial impressions using it in my 2ch system in the first days of use. So if you need a DAC for one source with no other gimmicks/controls - setup once and never touch again - then I think Cyan 2 is an excellent option. Especially at its price.

1713135545380.png
Were you able to compare at less than Mhz upsampled rates? Regular 44.1-192khz rates? What hardware were you upsampling with vis-a-vis roon/HQP?

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #928 of 1,023
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #929 of 1,023
New firmware 1.4.0 is out!
1713377087842.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back