Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 31, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2,404 of 3,428
Hi Gibosi,

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of the 76 tubes. What I don't understand is how you can make do with two tubes in a single socket for two-channel stereo - don't you need a double set up with four tubes in two adapters?

Would the 76 tubes work in the Elise, and would this adapter fit in the Elise?

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #2,405 of 3,428

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of the 76 tubes. What I don't understand is how you can make do with two tubes in a single socket for two-channel stereo - don't you need a double set up with four tubes in two adapters?

Would the 76 tubes work in the Elise, and would this adapter fit in the Elise?

The 76 is a single triode, equivalent to 1/2 of a 6SN7, a double triode. So you need two tubes, one for each channel, to equal one 6SN7. And of course, they would work in the Elise. However, since the Elise uses two drivers, you will need to 2 adapters, one for each 6SN7 socket.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,406 of 3,428
The 76 is a single triode, equivalent to 1/2 of a 6SN7, a double triode. So you need two tubes, one for each channel, to equal one 6SN7. And of course, they would work in the Elise. However, since the Elise uses two drivers, you will need to 2 adapters, one for each 6SN7 socket.

To add, herein lies the problem. The adapters are built so that their keyways would make them sit on top of each other, given the configuration of Elise's sockets. Perhaps it could work with specific socket extenders that change the orientation of the keyway. Yes, the coolness factor, alone, made me contemplate the various workarounds for hours. Decided I'll be happy with just a DV similarly setup.

How would you describe the 76's sound? Not that it even matters. :D

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #2,409 of 3,428
We don't know yet Suuup. Yours should be coming anytime now right? My invoice is 22. Wonder if that's ties in with the serial number.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #2,413 of 3,428
Well, guys, my Woo WA6 is on its way. Should have it Wednesday. I comes with a selection of tubes and I'm hoping to tune it, tonally, similarly to the Elise and do a proper comparison. Wish me luck.

That's awesome. I'm really interested in this. I have the WA6, but not an Elise. Do try to get some adapters for some 6SN7 or 6F8G, they really make the Woo sing.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #2,414 of 3,428
To add, herein lies the problem. The adapters are built so that their keyways would make them sit on top of each other, given the configuration of Elise's sockets. Perhaps it could work with specific socket extenders that change the orientation of the keyway. Yes, the coolness factor, alone, made me contemplate the various workarounds for hours. Decided I'll be happy with just a DV similarly setup.

How would you describe the 76's sound? Not that it even matters.
biggrin.gif

My adapter, from eBay vendor xulingmrs, allows the assembly to be rotated 45 degrees. This should provide enough wriggle room to orient two adapters in adjacent sockets.

Haven't been able to spend any quality time with the 76's. I have had them in the amp only for about an hour to ensure they were not defective, and felt that they sounded great. However, have been rolling through regulators here recently and life outside of head-fi has also been busy...

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,415 of 3,428
My adapter, from eBay vendor xulingmrs, allows the assembly to be rotated 45 degrees. This should provide enough wriggle room to orient two adapters in adjacent sockets.

Good info. So there is hope.

Haven't been able to spend any quality time with the 76's. I have had them in the amp only for about an hour to ensure they were not defective, and felt that they sounded great. However, have been rolling through regulators here recently and life outside of head-fi has also been busy...

I'm hoping to order the adapter sometime next week and get the tubes while it's in transit. Just when I has no idea what do with a second DV....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back