Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Sep 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,418 of 3,428
Hi Gibosi,

Sorry for asking again; I just want to be sure. To be able to use type 76 tubes in the Elise, is it correct that I could use two adapters for the 76 tubes, rotate them so that there is enough space for them, and use only one tube in each double adapter?

Is there any brand in the 76 tubes that is supposed to be better sounding?

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,419 of 3,428
I bought my adapters from Glenn, but Woo also can make them for you. ebay adapters will work fine, others use them, they are less expensive for sure, but apparently not made as well.

Very good to know. Thank you.

The gent I'm trading with is including a number of tubes. So far, my plan is to buy a Brimar rectifier and work with what I have for a while. Of course, I have two boxes full of 6NS7s, so the odds of this plan changing are fairly high.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,420 of 3,428

I bought my adapters from Glenn, but Woo also can make them for you. ebay adapters will work fine, others use them, they are less expensive for sure, but apparently not made as well.

Very good to know. Thank you.

The gent I'm trading with is including a number of tubes. So far, my plan is to buy a Brimar rectifier and work with what I have for a while. Of course, I have two boxes full of 6NS7s, so the odds of this plan changing are fairly high.

Also another good choice is a Mullard made with code R71 Philips Miniwatt GZ32 with bite marks on the corners of the plates they were alot cheaper than Mullards when you can find them here's an example has the bite marks didnt see code though                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-GZ32-sh-KLU-Philips-England-Mullard-5V4-20-/271829896796?hash=item3f4a530e5c                                                                 

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2,421 of 3,428

Sorry for asking again; I just want to be sure. To be able to use type 76 tubes in the Elise, is it correct that I could use two adapters for the 76 tubes, rotate them so that there is enough space for them, and use only one tube in each double adapter?

Is there any brand in the 76 tubes that is supposed to be better sounding?

Yes, you would need two adapters, one for each 6SN7 socket. However, since a 67 is equivalent to 1/2 of a 6SN7, you will need two tubes per adapter, for a total of four 76's..

I learned of the 67 in the 6SN7 thread from a posting by jamato8. I asked him which brand he preferred, and his was reply was the RCA. I have no experience with any other brand.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #2,422 of 3,428

Yes, you would need two adapters, one for each 6SN7 socket. However, since a 67 is equivalent to 1/2 of a 6SN7, you will need two tubes per adapter, for a total of four 76's..

I learned of the 67 in the 6SN7 thread from a posting by jamato8. I asked him which brand he preferred, and his was reply was the RCA. I have no experience with any other brand.

Hmmm...that looks MIGHTY tight to me, g...shan't be going there myself, lol!
eek.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,423 of 3,428
Hi h1,

One of the sites for the double adapters gives the exact measurements. My first thought was the same as yours, but I took a piece of cardboard and cut two pieces to size. Then I put them on top of the sockets on the Elise.

It seems to me that if you can rotate and angle the two double adapters 45 degrees (I think Gibosi mentioned that this is possible) it appears to me that it may fit. Only a proper trial and error will show if it is feasible since I do not know how far the tubes extend outside the adapter.

Anyhow, before I go through  with this I need more feedback on how these type 76 tubes sound.

BTW, there is an octal version of this tube - the 6P5GT......

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,424 of 3,428
  One of the sites for the double adapters gives the exact measurements. My first thought was the same as yours, but I took a piece of cardboard and cut two pieces to size. Then I put them on top of the sockets on the Elise.

It seems to me that if you can rotate and angle the two double adapters 45 degrees (I think Gibosi mentioned that this is possible) it appears to me that it may fit. Only a proper trial and error will show if it is feasible since I do not know how far the tubes extend outside the adapter.

Yes, the adapters can be rotated up to 45 degrees and the tubes themselves are fairly narrow, extending just a smidge beyond the edges of the adapter when installed.

Sep 2, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #2,425 of 3,428
I just received an email from Lukasz. They've gotten 2 defect batches of Tungsol driver tubes in a row, which is the reason for the delay. They've experimented with some Elektro Harmonix/Russia tubes, and he's asking if I'd want to try those instead, so I didn't have to wait. I know nothing about tubes. Anyone know these tubes and how they fare in the Elise?

Sep 2, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,427 of 3,428
I just received an email from Lukasz. They've gotten 2 defect batches of Tungsol driver tubes in a row, which is the reason for the delay. They've experimented with some Elektro Harmonix/Russia tubes, and he's asking if I'd want to try those instead, so I didn't have to wait. I know nothing about tubes. Anyone know these tubes and how they fare in the Elise?

I have a pair of EH and would not recommend them over Feliks' selected TS'. As an idea, perhaps have Lucasz sip the amp without the drivers, that he can forward when he gets a good supply, and you pick up a NOS/well-tested set to play with in the meantime. Win-win.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #2,428 of 3,428
I've asked Lukasz how long the wait will be. If it's too long, I'll find a pair somewhere else. 

Oh and by the way, Lukasz said the serial number is just below 20 at this point. My invoice was 18, so it seems it's almost matched atleast. He did also say, that the invoice number wasn't the serial number. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,429 of 3,428
Elise's 0018 finally arrived! Going to burn it for at least 50 hours before some tube rolling, even though I'm so tempted to insert my c3gS right away hehe... Waiting for some Bendix 6080WB to arrive too (in customs right now 
frown.gif
)

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #2,430 of 3,428
  Elise's 0018 finally arrived! Going to burn it for at least 50 hours before some tube rolling, even though I'm so tempted to insert my c3gS right away hehe... Waiting for some Bendix 6080WB to arrive too (in customs right now 
frown.gif
)

Congrats on getting number 0018 in!!

Woo-Hoo!!

Also...anyone using the C3gS's as drivers and 6080 as powers?  If so, could you please post listening impressions on this combination vs the stock tubes.

Much appreciate!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back