Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 30, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #2,371 of 3,428
Yes I know it may sound a bit outlandish to compare a $600 to a $2400-ish amp, but in the world of hi-fi audio, price does not always dictate sound performance. I was asking because I tried the Zana Deux amp and absolutely loved it head over heels, then I saw this vaguely similar looking tube amp and thought just maybe it could happen to sound as good - or at least a comparison nevertheless would be nice. What about the comparison between this and the LF 339? 

BTW I have the HD 650 and I've heard these amps mentioned are all supposed to pair wonderfully with it

It's a great question. I am similarly quite curious as to how the Elise would compare with the 339. As far as the newer ZD, I would guess it surpasses the 339, although I was told by someone at a meet who heard both he thought the two were on equal levels. The ZD will sound more "grand" than the 339, according to an owner of both the ZD and 339 on the 339 thread with whom I exchange PMs occasionally, while the 339 more lush. I have no idea how this would play out with the Elise. It would be great to actually have all side by side.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #2,372 of 3,428
Great to see you here Liu. This thread will now come alive as it takes Elise to another spotlight. How it compares to the world. I almost feel protective of Elise now as every boxer wants to take her on in the ring. Just kidding. I'm enjoying your views on ZD and LF.  

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #2,374 of 3,428
bigsmile_face.gif
Email from Feliks Audio. Getting my Elise end Sept.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,375 of 3,428
  Yes I know it may sound a bit outlandish to compare a $600 to a $2400-ish amp, but in the world of hi-fi audio, price does not always dictate sound performance. I was asking because I tried the Zana Deux amp and absolutely loved it head over heels, then I saw this vaguely similar looking tube amp and thought just maybe it could happen to sound as good - or at least a comparison nevertheless would be nice. What about the comparison between this and the LF 339? 

BTW I have the HD 650 and I've heard these amps mentioned are all supposed to pair wonderfully with it

Hi DL...always nice to see new faces here...

I very much doubt the Elise could match the Eddie (understandably!), but I'm sure that with top-flight tubes she would come fairly close. I suspect that given the price difference, Elise + better headphones might just be the better bargain...

I too would love to see a head-to-head with the LF339...anyone up to it?!

ps.  Greetings to LJ also - are you up for two amps? 
wink_face.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #2,376 of 3,428
Hey mordy, UT, Oskari, gibosi - I knew this would happen...in your own ways you have all led me astray once more!! (coupled with my constant drooling, lol!). The omens seem quite good however, as more FDD20s have appeared on the scene and I have put in offers   :

Haven't come across 'RVC' tubes before, but these are obviously re-branded Philips tubes with a bit of paint sprayed on (that will come off STRAIGHT away!) - and from Germany, so mailing should be better to me than from Italy.

The thought of having (possibly) the only headphone amp on the planet with these tubes as drivers was too tempting, I'm afraid...along with the gnawing curiosity of just how they compare to the ECC31 - let this be a warning to would-be tube rollers : once bitten, it's a very slippery slope to madness alas! 
wink.gif

At this point I must also apologise for once again entering into territory that may not really be appropriate for most people...viz. my previous statement!

Quote:

Wow, that was some time ago. Found it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/8070#post_10995392

(Some research taking place here.)

This is Narvan marssi (The March of Narva) performed by Polyteknikkojen Kuoro (The Polytech Choir), an academic male choir, who are apparently performing at the Proms tonight!

Narvan marssi appears on their 1998 album Suomelle – Isänmaallisia lauluja as well as the 2004 collection Vuodet – Polyteknikkojen Kuoro 100 vuotta. I see both on Spotify and iTunes.

P.S. In this case the march was sung in (Finland) Swedish, so we might also call it Narvamarschen or Karl XII:s marsch vid Narva.

Thanks for that, O...must have taken you a fair time to search all this...
tongue.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
Email from Feliks Audio. Getting my Elise end Sept.

Wonderful news, UT...let's hope the time flies(?!)...

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #2,377 of 3,428
Aug 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,378 of 3,428

There was the Canadian RVC, Radio Valve Co. of Canada Ltd., but I doubt that's them. I can't find much about this presumably German RVC.

1. http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=14744

Looks like you were spot on re. the Canadian connection - Marconi/Radiotron. Would that be in collaboration with Philips at all?... Or just coincidence?  :

That's the same logo as on the FDD20, of course....edit - on closer examination, not exactly the same! Very confusing!

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2,383 of 3,428

You're right. I recall auditioning a number amplifiers ranging in cost from ~$2500 to over $20K. Same with preamps. Of course, I'm not talking about HP gear. It wasn't unusual to find a much lower priced component to sound better than a statement piece. Not always, but not uncommon. At all.

FWIW, I think the Elise is so reasonably price due to us paying in hard currency and the Polish złoty is essentially a non-entity in the money market. And, I maintain that it were sold through traditional outlets, it's price would more than double.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,385 of 3,428
Recently got these two pairs of 6AS7G tubes. One is a RCA from April 1969. The other pair is labeled Sylvania, date code YCE, whatever that means. Looking at these two pairs they appear identical, with two differences: The Sylvania tube is a little shorter, and the glass is slightly smoky; otherwise everything else is identical to my eye.

Are these Sylvanias re-branded RCA tubes?

Right now I am listening to the RCA pair - sounds very nice. These tubes are very common and inexpensive - with a little careful shopping you could snag a pair for around $15-20 or less. I guess that they are too inexpensive to qualify as audiophile tubes LOL, but they are in that category - a lot of people like them, even compared to tubes costing megabucks....

(The red pinstripe above indicates the location of the guide pin to aid in inserting the tube in the socket.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back