Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,356 of 3,428
50 of his antique high fidelity LPs. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,357 of 3,428
  ps. Many moons ago you posted a beautiful piece of funereal music when I broke some beloved tubes...is it on a CD with other choral work that's available at all? Thx...

Wow, that was some time ago. Found it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/8070#post_10995392

(Some research taking place here.)

This is Narvan marssi (The March of Narva) performed by Polyteknikkojen Kuoro (The Polytech Choir), an academic male choir, who are apparently performing at the Proms tonight!

Narvan marssi appears on their 1998 album Suomelle – Isänmaallisia lauluja as well as the 2004 collection Vuodet – Polyteknikkojen Kuoro 100 vuotta. I see both on Spotify and iTunes.

P.S. In this case the march was sung in (Finland) Swedish, so we might also call it Narvamarschen or Karl XII:s marsch vid Narva.

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,358 of 3,428
  It's like a scavenger hunt for me. I look into one amp & get recommended another, then get pointed to another & find another. Just when I was set on buying a WooAudio WA2, I find this amp.
I did read the past few dozen pages of this thread, but most of that was about tube rolling.

So can anyone give me some advice on this amp?

1. I am looking for an amp that can expand the soundstage & really give air to imaging/instrumental placement
  2. An amp that can get rid of harsh treble & sibilance.
  3. Having a full bass body & impact would be great too, but not the #1 factor I need!

I am looking to hopefully spend less than $800.

My headphones are the Beyerdynamics T1 (harsh treble) & Audeze LCD-2 (lack of soundstage & air).
I am also looking to get the Sennheiser HD800 in the future.

I was considering the Schiit Lyr 2, WooAudio WA2, LittleDot MK VI+ & finally came across this amp.
All I know is that from the "Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE" thread, the WAS6Se seemed to outclass the WA2 in what I was looking for an amp.

Has there been any owner comparisons between the Elise & WA2 in this thread?
This seems to be priced lower, does it not compare directly to it?

Have look at Bottlehead?

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,359 of 3,428
  Have look at Bottlehead?

His Audeze LCD-2 has an impedance of 70 ohms and thus, the Bottlehead would be a poor choice. That said, most OTL's will not do the LCD-2 justice. Yes, the LCD-2 will work and sound quite good, but not as good as it would with an amp that can deliver more current into 70 ohms.

In my opinion, if Thenewguy007 wants his LCD-2's to sound their best, as well as the T-1's and HD800s, the Lyr2 or the WA2 would be his best choice. If he had only high-Z cans, like the T-1 and the HD800, I would recommend the Elise with absolutely no hesitation.

And as for the specific things he is looking for: 

"An amp that can expand the soundstage & really give air to imaging/instrumental placement
An amp that can get rid of harsh treble & sibilance.
Having a full bass body & impact"

These are the reason we roll tubes. Any of the amps he is considering will deliver all this and more with the right tubes.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #2,363 of 3,428
Hi,

Going through my newly acquired lot of 12 tubes. There is a pair of twilight tube era GE 6AS7GA tubes there from September 1985. (Picture from a different source, but tubes identical to picture)

$_57.JPG

The support rods above the top mica look like little chimneys. The pair I got looks like new, so it probably needs to burn in. First impression is that they sound good, but not very warm. Detailed, very clear, laid back and very neutral, almost ss. Spacious sound stage. All this may be subject to change after usage.

Included in this lot was a RCA 6080 tube dated September 1980. It look exactly like the tube above, but with a metal base. In addition, the other side of the tube glass has the telltale GE dots, so this is a relabeled GE tube. I cannot see any difference in the construction of these two tubes, but the GE is a 6AS7GA and the RCA is a 6080.

Does anybody know what the difference is? Printed out the spec sheets for both, and the specs are almost identical.

Also tested two more tubes - A Svetlana 6H13C Winged C from 1963 and a Chinese Shuguang 6N5PJ from 1972.

Everything sounds very good on the Elise. The Svetlana is the same as the stock tube. The Shuguang puts on a nice light display but sounds darker and less detailed - I am cured of my desire to try a pair of those.

My amp sits on a shelf in a rack. In order to make tube rolling easier, I had my local body shop paint a red pin stripe on the tube bases, indicating the location of the guide pin, to facilitate putting in the tubes in the socket savers. - Just kidding, took some postal labels and cut off some thin red little self adhesive strips. 

BTW, I have a problem with USPS. Ordered some tubes from Michigan. They were sent to Texas, then to New York State where i live. After the USPS posted that the package was out for delivery, it was sent back to Texas. It is now 10 days and I have not received the package. The delivery time should have been 4-5 days. I'll keep you posted (pun intended)....

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #2,364 of 3,428
I have a pair of those GE 6AS7GA coming anytime now from Parts Express. I have a 6N5PJ that came stock on the Darkvoice 336se. I wonder if they are the same as your Shuguang.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,367 of 3,428
No although there was a passing mention from someone with a Crack and also bought the Elise. His comment was that the Elise is better. This amp is still pretty new. Would be nice to get some comparisons down the track for sure.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,369 of 3,428
Yes I know it may sound a bit outlandish to compare a $600 to a $2400-ish amp, but in the world of hi-fi audio, price does not always dictate sound performance. I was asking because I tried the Zana Deux amp and absolutely loved it head over heels, then I saw this vaguely similar looking tube amp and thought just maybe it could happen to sound as good - or at least a comparison nevertheless would be nice. What about the comparison between this and the LF 339? 

BTW I have the HD 650 and I've heard these amps mentioned are all supposed to pair wonderfully with it

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #2,370 of 3,428
Yes that's my thought too. It's not a fair comparison but would be interesting.

There has been no comparison between Elise and La Figaro too. Indeed HD650 would pair very well with these tube amps. I have the HD650 and DT880 and am waiting excitedly for Elise arrival. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back