Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 20, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #12,046 of 13,856
  As far as I know, it also include EL3N as they are not in the manual. So there's not a lot of people with warranty anyway in this thread. :p

For people looking for cheap conventional tubes, I can recommend FOTON 6N8S (pre 1966 thanks to @hpamdr for the tip) and TungSol 6080 (a bit hard to find).

True the EL3N is not on the "approved" list, vince...but as I have asked Lukasz if there would likely be any major problems using the EL3N, and he thought there wouldn't, I feel we are on fairly safe ground with this tube. And so this gives us a fair bit of reassurance, methinks..
biggrin.gif
...I would never espouse any tube/set-up that he had the slightest doubts about...

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #12,050 of 13,856
  @DecentLevi. Do you spend more time consulting a Thesaurus than actually finding the combinations you like? I have yet to hear a live performance that could match some of your descriptions.

Have you compared any of your preferred combinations to some of the popular 1-tube-per-socket approaches such as the 5998, 6520, 7236?

Any reason you don't use external power just to stay on the safe side of the Elise transformer's suggested operating maximum?

Unfortunately those tubes are very expensive, if you can even find them sold in pairs. Many are sold in bulk at high prices. Even two 5998 tubes cost $300 with shipping and taxes to buy from the UK. 
frown.gif

If I were to buy another pair of similar tubes I might as well have purchased a spare Elise and experimented as DL is doing with much more reasonably priced tubes.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #12,052 of 13,856
Oh my! 7.2 sounds scary, doesn't it?

tongue.gif

Not to me.I don't go that high.  I'm just an ignorant consumer who prefers to operate my greedy acquisitions within parameters designated by the manufacturer. Call me crazy 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #12,053 of 13,856
  Unfortunately those tubes are very expensive, if you can even find them sold in pairs. Many are sold in bulk at high prices. Even two 5998 tubes cost $300 with shipping and taxes to buy from the UK. 
frown.gif

If I were to buy another pair of similar tubes I might as well have purchased a spare Elise and experimented as DL is doing with much more reasonably priced tubes.

I know. I own all three pairs. But with language that is not often seen to describe a particular combination, I'm just curious as to the point of reference.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #12,054 of 13,856
I remember there is a pair of 7236 at the FS forum for 85 USD. I thought that is a nice price.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #12,055 of 13,856
  I know. I own all three pairs. But with language that is not often seen to describe a particular combination, I'm just curious as to the point of reference.

I hear music in a very similar way to DL.
That doesn't mean I will always follow his combinations but what he is doing to find less expensive alternatives to the mega expensive tubes I think is very useful, particularly as many of the most favoured tubes for Elise are not commonly sourced in Europe and require paying high taxes and fees from the USA, on both the tube and the postage charges.
There is always a risk to the tube and the amp but these are risks we can individually weigh up.
This would be a less colourful thread if we restricted innovation.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #12,056 of 13,856

THRILLING, RIVETING, SPINE TINGLING, EFFORTLESS, AND ABOVE ALL
TRANSCENDENTAL - ALL ENCOMPASSING!!!

DRIVERS: two 6SN7 intermixed
POWERS: 2x 6BL7 + 4x 6J5 (2x Sylvania + 2x Visseaux intermixed)

Folks with is without a doubt the best soundstage I have ever heard in my entire life at home. A holographic soundstage as if you're in a jungle of an alien galaxy.
This made every hair on my entire body stand on end. Better than the Zana Deux (and I've heard in 3 times). 16/10!!!

This contraption better sounding than EC Zana Deux?  It's all very amusing to me. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #12,058 of 13,856
  I hear music in a very similar way to DL.
That doesn't mean I will always follow his combinations but what he is doing to find less expensive alternatives to the mega expensive tubes I think is very useful, particularly as many of the most favoured tubes for Elise are not commonly sourced in Europe and require paying high taxes and fees from the USA, on both the tube and the postage charges.
There is always a risk to the tube and the amp but these are risks we can individually weigh up.
This would be a less colourful thread if we restricted innovation.

And where did I say I oppose innovation???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back