Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jun 20, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #12,020 of 13,856
Good one, Mordy...glad you didn't have a short between plate and cathode, like I did :)

Know you were relieved when default tubes restored the goodness :)

I have settled on Ken Rad VT-231 as drivers and 2x 6BL7 as powers. Absolutely superb sound, could not ask for a more beautiful rendition of my musical selections.

Cheers and again, happy for you.

Cheers, also, to all the Lucky Ones and Happy Fathers' day to all the dads, here.

tongue.gif

Is that 4 6BL7's in total as power tubes. If so are you using external power?

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #12,021 of 13,856

Roll some headphones too and while you're at it mod the HD650.

That's right, I've got plenty cans to roll.
Rather than mod the HD650 I should probably consider an HD800 or T1 which seem to synergise with Elise very well according to many on this thread.
At present all the headphones I've tried in the 6 days I've had Elise work well.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #12,023 of 13,856
  That's right, I've got plenty cans to roll.
Rather than mod the HD650 I should probably consider an HD800 or T1 which seem to synergise with Elise very well according to many on this thread.
At present all the headphones I've tried in the 6 days I've had Elise work well.

I love my T1 with Elise. Have heard HD800 with Elise too and sounds good as well. 

You're into classical music and those are perfect for it.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #12,024 of 13,856

I love my T1 with Elise. Have heard HD800 with Elise too and sounds good as well. 

You're into classical music and those are perfect for it.

I'm hoping I might hear them at a forthcoming CanJam.
Trouble is I won't be able to decide which one and I can't afford both, as well as all these tubes for Elise.
Saving up for those much admired T-S 5998's just now. 
Elise is indeed just perfect for the complex musical lines of late Baroque -my ears haven't been jarred once by a screechy period violin. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #12,025 of 13,856
  I'm hoping I might hear them at a forthcoming CanJam.
Trouble is I won't be able to decide which one and I can't afford both, as well as all these tubes for Elise.
Saving up for those much admired T-S 5998's just now. 
Elise is indeed just perfect for the complex musical lines of late Baroque -my ears haven't been jarred once by a screechy period violin. 
smily_headphones1.gif

That's an easy choice. Toss a coin. Either will sound good. Beethoven will thank you and Mozart will buy you lunch.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #12,027 of 13,856
Good one, Mordy...glad you didn't have a short between plate and cathode, like I did :)

Know you were relieved when default tubes restored the goodness :)

I have settled on Ken Rad VT-231 as drivers and 2x 6BL7 as powers. Absolutely superb sound, could not ask for a more beautiful rendition of my musical selections.

Cheers and again, happy for you.

Cheers, also, to all the Lucky Ones and Happy Fathers' day to all the dads, here.

tongue.gif

Today I'm listening with those same gorgeous drivers and 2 × 6SN7+6BL7 powers.   
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #12,028 of 13,856

agreed ... altho not necessarily for the better.

more than 2 decades ago, a buddy of mine decided he could improve the sonics of a friend's krell preamp ... swapped out a bunch of factory electrolytics for blackgates and bypassed another crapload with vishays.  noise floor went up 1000% & that's no exaggeration.  a humphrey setup became saturated with ~50dB residual noise.
& guess what, even after removing his mess, the krell was never the same ... had to be returned to the factory for new pcbs.

if you want to experiment, a good place to start is with 30 - 50 yr old vintage equipment where the stock caps are likely to be 'rotten' & where you can't possibly make things worse. & yeah, i'm not talking about doing experiments on vintage mcintosh or citation either

Hi g49...just wanted to apologise for putting "aj" on the reputation I posted - should be "g49" of course!!. But I shall repeat the thanks for your sensible advice, lol...

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #12,029 of 13,856
  Yes I have the same Teslas I think, with gold pins. Yellow lettering, numbered 32. Very nice tube. I'm going to try a few more of these 9 pin tubes as drivers in Elise. 
I don't know how many hours my EL3N's  have done-bought on eBAY as 'used' and that could mean anything. It will be interesting to see if they firm up in the bass. I do very much like them as they are at present though- it's just I felt Prokofiev needed a more solid sound.

Mentioning LD. I have the 2/2 and the best driver tube for me is an amazing Tesla EP251 which seems very little known. 

Here's pictures of the two Teslas. The EP251's weird getter looks like a tiny astronomical radio telescope.

Yo H13...same E88CCs...but got mine at a more reasonable price than usual from ebayer with unstamped "military" stock - very impressive looking tube, and good sound too!

Never seen that EP251 before...certainly an unusual looking little thing!...but good sound also, you say?

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #12,030 of 13,856

agreed ... altho not necessarily for the better.

more than 2 decades ago, a buddy of mine decided he could improve the sonics of a friend's krell preamp ... swapped out a bunch of factory electrolytics for blackgates and bypassed another crapload with vishays.  noise floor went up 1000% & that's no exaggeration.  a humphrey setup became saturated with ~50dB residual noise.
& guess what, even after removing his mess, the krell was never the same ... had to be returned to the factory for new pcbs.

if you want to experiment, a good place to start is with 30 - 50 yr old vintage equipment where the stock caps are likely to be 'rotten' & where you can't possibly make things worse. & yeah, i'm not talking about doing experiments on vintage mcintosh or citation either

Hi g49...just wanted to apologise for putting "aj" on the reputation I posted - should be "g49" of course!!. But I shall repeat the thanks for your sensible advice, lol...

Even though different caps can vastly improve the sound.
THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE BY SOME ONE THAT IS NOE SURE OF WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
A zap from a charged filter capacitor can send you across the room.
And if you don't know how to solder and unsolder all you well accomplish is messing up the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back